Open Club  ·  11 members  ·  Free

YouTube Video Club
Dallas

The Making Of Full Metal Jacket

I saw it in the theatre with a friend when it came out in 1987. I must have been on pass from the army myself because my 2 year conscription began in August of that year. I remember being somewhat unimpressed with it at the time because all the other movies I had seen about the war in Viet Nam had more of a jungle feel to them, where this one was in a completely different setting, more urban. As you'll hear in the beginning of the documentary, it was actually shot in East London, UK and made to look like Viet Nam so I guess that kind of explains why I felt it was a little "off". 

However, I have since watched this movie countless times and it is, as many of those interviewed say, quite a remarkable piece of film. Kubrick had a unique eye for detail and visual story-telling, something we photographers should always be developing. 

I have driven past the location site many times and still marvel that Kubrick achieved so much atmosphere in the old London Docklands area. Quite amazing.

Still trying.

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.