waltonksm

Bog Star Flower, Parnassia palustris

This flower just showed up this past Friday. It is fairly widely distributed.  I think the shape and coloring is absolutely beautiful. It is the "county flower" of Cumberland, England, and is on the county flag.  There appear to be slight regional variations of this flower. These two were only a little over 1" across. I used the 12-50mm Macro Olympus lens on an EM1 Mark II. I suppose it is almost trite to comment this way, but some flowers really have an almost magical appearance.  These two can keep me mesmerized for quite a long spell. They were all around our office building at St. Mary's, Alaska.

Bog Star, Parnassia palustris

Edited by waltonksm
to add more content
  • Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By rbsandor
      Recently, I had the great good fortune to travel to Antarctica with National Geographic on their ship which is rated one step less in hull construction in comparison to an ice breaker. On our first day, the captain took us quite deep in to some fast ice, which is ice that is solidly attached to land. We were told the ice we stood on was 3 feet thick and the water below was 2,000 feet deep.
      That area was the home to a group of Adelie penguins and here are a few photos of the area and the birds.
      Sorting through the photos has taken much longer than expected (I tend to be ruthless) and I've only begun to process the first few.
      All these were taken with the new E-M1 and the 12-40 lens. While I had a Nikon D4 with me , I found that I relegated its usage to situations where fast, continuous AF was a must. I'm guessing that I used the E-M1 about 75% of the time.
      Any way, while none of these pix will win the Pulitzer, they will give you a feel for a bit of Antarctica. C&C always welcome. Richard

View full article
    • By otoien
      These were captured with my D5100, please view large:

A day in mid October, the sun sets over the ocean outside Nyksund in Vesterålen, Northern Norway. At this time of the year the sun does not set in the west, but more to the south.
      1:

(12-24mm @ 14mm  f/9, 1/320s)

A light drizzle of snow on the ground lights up the landscape.
      2:

(12-24mm @ 24mm f/9 1/40s)

Nyksund is situated on two islands; panorama after sunset.
      3:

(A stitch of two mostly overlapping images from the 10.5mm fisheye, f/8 1/40s)

A wider view of the ocean.
      4:

(stitch of two 10.5mm fisheye images at f/8 1/40s)
    • By Luc de Schepper
      Image shot with natural light only.

• By Bruno
      Couldn't resist, Fons. Sorry 

Bishop of Llandaff, this evening. Just blooming. I wanted to compare the 100/4 and the CRT 55/1.2.

Micro Nikkor 105/4 f8

CRT 55/1.2 f8, cropped to similar size, approximately

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.