Rags

Set aside your photographers discipline....

Posted (edited)

We finished the 10 unit boutique hotel I did and now it's time to get it published online...

My son hired a RE photographer to take shots of the rooms... Dallas take note...

He did what I never would have done.. stretched & distorted the rooms...

Initially I was appalled (on the basis of lens distortion , etc..) but as a principal I really like it

The technique reminds me of car vids & shots that stretch the width of compact cars... making them look more racey

https://www.rinnnapa.com/

Comments?

Edited by Rags

Should we be calling you Mr. Fawlty now, Rags? :D Congrats on finishing the project! 

The pics are good. Obviously taken with an ultra wide angle lens, which goes against the norm for the genre, but I think that they work to show the contents of the room. An architectural photography buff would definitely not approve, but there are different photographic applications to satisfy different needs. 

The RE work I do I tend to prefer a single point perspective more often these days than an oblique angle, but it also depends largely on the layout of the room(s). My primary objective is to show the flow of the rooms wherever possible so that the person looking at the image can imagine themselves in the space. For accommodation photography this is less of a requirement and the focus on those projects tends to be more on the features of the space, which is where a wide angle isn't that necessary. I spend a lot of time looking at house tours on Apartment Therapy and Houzz and in there you will find that the emphasis is more on the decor than the space. 

At the end of the day what you want to achieve with your images for accommodation is two-fold; show the space and give a feel for the content of the space. In other words, how would I feel spending time in there? 

I thought it would be interesting to show an example outside the (photographic ) norm

Thanks for your comments

Rags

Rags, Congratulations 

If you do not mention it I wouldn't notice the rooms look stretched

4 hours ago, armando_m said:

Rags, Congratulations 

If you do not mention it I wouldn't notice the rooms look stretched

Hehe... exactly how I felt, but I was in the rooms...

Stretching made them look bigger... 

Rags

8 hours ago, Rags said:

Hehe... exactly how I felt, but I was in the rooms...

Stretching made them look bigger... 

Rags

I always have such a discussion with my wife when we are booking hotels.  She always says that looks big enough, but knowing the photographic tricks, I'll point out how small it actually is.

The same as Armando, had you not mentioned it I would not have noticed the "stretch," on all but one of them.  I like the photos.

Thanks for the comments - much appreciated

Rags