Jump to content
Dallas

Give Me Some Feedback

Recommended Posts

It's been a couple of weeks since Fotozones got its refresh and software update. I'd like to get some feedback from you guys about the new look site. Do you like it? Are there things that can still be improved? If there are what things are important to you in a photography community? 

 

As I mentioned previously, I am probably going to be limiting the number of registered members for the site and I am thinking that 2000 should be the maximum number at any time. This will keep the site's communal feeling strong, because in my opinion when a site gets too big it tends to become very impersonal and that doesn't really help anybody. If we did reach 2000 members in a year, the next time new members would be accepted would be when the dormancy for the following year kicks in (ie new members would be allowed in July). 

 

I do want to make the home page the Our Picks page but I need to figure out how to remove that huge title first. The template for this page is hidden from the obvious place, so it could be a bit of a hunt to track it down. I suppose I could ask support... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is early days yet Dallas, the only snag that I’m seeing is that when opening the forum for the first time in a day or after a pause to do something else the FZ black menu bar is twice the normal thickness thus covering the the icons below the black bar, this annoyance does go away  until the next time the forum is started up! I’m seeing this on an iPad mini and won’t go away until a topic is selected!

Hopefully you can make sense of that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Mike. It sounds like it might be a cached page, but without seeing it for myself I can't say that for sure. It could also be a main menu item wrapping issue. What will help me is if you can post a screenshot of the problem and also let me know what browser it happens in as well as the iPad version you have. The guy who wrote the theme is very good on support so I will pass the info on to him and hopefully we can get it sorted out quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the necessary modifications have been made to make the Our Picks page the first thing visitors to the site will see. This is really cool because regardless of where content is made on FZ, the best of it will be able to be easily shared to the home page. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dallas, I am using an iPad mini4 with iPad Safari, but the problem also exists on my iMac also using Safari.

A screenshot of what I see. Hope it helps!

90A498F5-980E-432A-BB13-18C34DBFDF06.thumb.png.d377925e0a501b39e920e0716525d330.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My only issue is the site is still very slow, by far the slowest of all the sites that I visit regularly.  I open links in new tabs rather than in the same tab, because going back in the same tab is so slow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Mike G said:

Dallas, I am using an iPad mini4 with iPad Safari, but the problem also exists on my iMac also using Safari.

A screenshot of what I see. Hope it helps!

 

 

Thanks Mike, that is helpful. 

 

What's happening is that the sticky menu seems to be wrapping before it consolidates the menu items into the "More" item. I will pass this on to the theme developer and ask him to look into it. However, it definitely should not do that on an iMac unless you have made the browser window smaller than the site's break point to mobile. The fixed width theme is 1400px wide, so any viewport smaller than that should automatically switch you to the mobile responsive interface, but... alas this isn't happening. Do you use the fluid width or fixed width theme? Try switching them around and let me know if that improves the situation until Taman can provide a fix. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Anthony said:

My only issue is the site is still very slow, by far the slowest of all the sites that I visit regularly.  I open links in new tabs rather than in the same tab, because going back in the same tab is so slow.

 

Thanks Anthony. Can you provide me with a traceroute to fotozones.com - send it to me via PM or info@fotozones.com. I will then be able to send this to the host and ask if they can investigate what is making it slow. It really shouldn't be slow because the machine runs on 20 CPU's and only uses SSD drives. If you visit this site www.domains.co.za do you also find it slow to load? (that's the host, btw). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No problems that I can see - there is a few seconds delay before the site opens after hitting the shortcut (but it's always been like that), but otherwise it's working well here. Much nicer to look at and use than it used to be.

 

I haven't had the time to spend perusing it that I used to, though - I've been a bit busy organising the B&W film thing here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dallas, tried both themes and no change! Still a PITA unfortunately 

 

2048x1536 screen resolution

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Mike G said:

Dallas, tried both themes and no change! Still a PITA unfortunately 

 

2048x1536 screen resolution

 

Something is definitely amiss then. I will send this info to the developer and see what he thinks. Thanks Mike, hopefully we can get it sorted out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alan7140 said:

No problems that I can see - there is a few seconds delay before the site opens after hitting the shortcut (but it's always been like that), but otherwise it's working well here. Much nicer to look at and use than it used to be.

 

I haven't had the time to spend perusing it that I used to, though - I've been a bit busy organising the B&W film thing here.

 

Yes, I think the initial delay is the latency, since you are connecting from a long distance. Also, depending on the page loading at first there might be a lot to process. Some of the images are quite large, so the system does a re-size on the fly, which is pretty CPU intense when you're dealing with several images, especially those over 1MB in size. I'm on a fairly fast LTE-A connection and I am in SA so everything loads pretty quickly for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dallas said:

All the necessary modifications have been made to make the Our Picks page the first thing visitors to the site will see. This is really cool because regardless of where content is made on FZ, the best of it will be able to be easily shared to the home page. :) 

 

The Our Picks page is now referred to as "Headliners" (in case anyone was wondering). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm all for software updates, but it is is really annoying when things move around and with new names, kind of like migrating to a new windows version 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gave up any version of Windows in 2008!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, armando_m said:

I'm all for software updates, but it is is really annoying when things move around and with new names, kind of like migrating to a new windows version 

 

Even more so when you have spent a few years developing content around the way things work only to have the entire rug pulled out from under you by a software update. :( 

 

I have things on FZ now pretty much the way I want them to stay. The only changes going forward might be minor changes to menus. However, after this most recent update and the chaos it caused, I will have to remain on top of the updates, which might bring changes that I didn't really want, but had no choice but to comply with. Hopefully IPS won't make any radical changes like they did from 4.1 to 4.3 again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dallas said:

 

Thanks Anthony. Can you provide me with a traceroute to fotozones.com - send it to me via PM or info@fotozones.com. I will then be able to send this to the host and ask if they can investigate what is making it slow. It really shouldn't be slow because the machine runs on 20 CPU's and only uses SSD drives. If you visit this site www.domains.co.za do you also find it slow to load? (that's the host, btw). 

 

Thanks, Dallas, I have sent a PM.

 

Unlike Alan, I find the site opens reasonably quickly, but navigation within the site is slow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any news from your developer regarding this annoying menu bar doubling up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mike G said:

Any news from your developer regarding this annoying menu bar doubling up?

 

Not since the last feedback, Mike. :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dallas, I took up your suggestion of a custom feed, using the method you outlined in your post yesterday.

 

I have limited it to content posted since my last visit.

 

As a result, the site now works quickly and well.  I am happy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great! Glad to hear it, Anthony. 

 

We may all have to chip in to buy Mike a bigger iPad though. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dallas said:

We may all have to chip in to buy Mike a bigger iPad though. 😂

 

Dallas that sounds good to me. 😚

 

The black bar hassle seems to be a tad erratic now since using the “Fluid Theme” 

Still bloody annoying when it happens though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a returning member I have to say that I'm very happy with the new site and have no issues. It loads and navigates speedily.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shouldn’t really say this cos it will cause FZ to misbehave upon starting up, but happily all seems to be well at the moment! Yippee!

Have I spoken too soon. 😗

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this morning it seems I did speak too soon, the PITA double black menu bar is back, ya boo sucks

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.