mrdale

Cloud photo storage

Question

What does every one use for online or off site storage ?  :Presently all of my photos are on an external drive but I feel I should have an offsite storage mechanism as well.   Currently each shoot is in a separate folder which contains all the raws, jpegs + raw edits and jpeg edits.  As you can imagine this takes up a lot of space (around 550GB).  I could eliminate the jpegs and save some space, its still going to be large.  It would be nice if there is a free site that can handle the volume or it might be cheaper to buy another external drive and keep it in my safe deposit box at the bank.  What are your thoughts ?

Thanks

dale

www.flickr.com/photos/photodale

7 answers to this question

I use a Startech HD Dock to backup to bare hard drives.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1263502-REG/startech_sta_sdocku33ef_external_docking_station_for.html

then store the drives in a protective case

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1067729-REG/cru_dataport_3851_0000_11_drivebox_anti_static_case_for.html

This allows me to store the drives offsite as well as provides a use for the drives I've replaced in order to gain additional storage.  A fringe benefit is the dock also hosts 2.5" SSD drives so I can clone a rotating drive when replacing it with a SSD.

• Like 1

This is a dilemma for me too. I am presently looking into some cloud storage options, including Dropbox. The costs do get a bit heavy though, considering it's a monthly commitment, plus the bandwidth required for your initial upload. I like the Dropbox option because it integrates well with the Mac Finder. There are probably others that also integrate, so I am also keen on hearing any suggestions. 

The problem with off site storage is the inconvenience of actually trekking to and from the place where you store the drives. 

I tried it using iCloud but gave up in the end. Bandwidth was an issue but for some reason it seemed to have a will of its own regarding file organisation despite a very careful setup.

I'm back to using an additional external hard disk ... much more reliable.

Still trying.

I just found this article on Outdoor Photography that might be of some help.

https://www.outdoorphotographer.com/tips-techniques/photo-editing-tips/keeping-your-photos-safe-part-4-backup-workflow/

My solution is similar to @Luke_Miller - in so much as my backups are all on my physical hard drives not in the cloud. Also similar to the article that @Dallas linked when I ingest images from cards they go to two places right away - my main working drive and an attached back up drive. Usually I'll work on them for a while (at this point they are in three locations) and then back them up to my local detachable backup drive. Now I can reuse the cards and the images are still in three places. Once a week so so I'll take that detachable backup drive offsite and bring the other detachable backup drive home. Then I run a backup to sync all the images to the other back up drive. Now my images are in four places and one is 20km away. That's my cloud solution - a desk drawer 20km away.

Remember there is no cloud 🙂 - just someone else's computer: https://teespring.com/shop/there-is-no-cloud#pid=369&cid=6514&sid=front

After some research I think I will go back to Dropbox and external hard drives.  I looked at Backblaze, Carbonite and a few others but they are more for backup rather than storage.  Dropbox is pretty much seamless to use so I'll pony up the $100/year for now (I'm getting a a small discount for re-subscribing).  So I will have cloud storage plus an offsite hard drive plus the onsite working  hard drive.  Should be enough.

• Like 1

www.flickr.com/photos/photodale

I am using a Synology DS1517+ NAS as my network and personal cloud drive.This gives me 20tb of cloud storage with a lot of room for expansion. For backup I use portable drives that go into both a fire safety box and safe deposit box at my bank.

With Synology Photo Station I can access and edit my photos from anywhere using a phone, pad, or computer. The only limitation is wifi speed when traveling. On1 PhotoRAW and Alien Skin Exposure X3 are working fairly well when I need to process an image this way.

Have a purpose that will outlive you...