Posted (edited)

The Imperial Sand Dunes (aka Yuma Sand Dunes) in southeastern California.  It was 90F at 5am and 112F by 12 noon.

A note: this one's a two-image composite, where the sky has been replaced. Does it work?  I'm also not sure about that large blank area on the bottom left, but I suppose it would be an ideal spot for text.

Critique away..  Thanks.

DSC_5041_Edit1_c1_1600.jpg

Edited by GB111
  • Like 2

I think it works with the negative space. I'd like to see it with a less cloudy sky though. 

Dallas the original sky really puts one to sleep.  Here's another variation w/ fake sky. Not sure if it's better or worse, but it is different.  I also expanded the amt of sky.

DSC_5041_Edit1_c2_2_1400.jpg

• Like 1

Definitely better, but for me a plain blue sky would add to the minimalism impression I get from the dunes. It might also work nicely as B&W. 

Wonderful dunes ! I like the subtle beige tone of the sand and that there are no foot prints or any tracks on them 

Nice composites but I also  do  not see a problem with a deep blue sky 

How hot was there ? 120F?

Posted (edited)

Thanks fellows. It is always a challenge to make composites look perfect, but as someone pointed out on Facebook, it can take on its own personality if it doesn't (she compared it to a Pink Floyd album cover 😛).

Armando, it was about 110 F when I pulled out of Yuma at 12 noon. It was 90F at 5am in the dunes, not too bad. But once the sun broke the horizon, yikes!  Walking in sand is also pretty exhausting.  But it was a great day to shoot, for the heat keeps away visitors (especially those ATVs!), and it was breezy too, which clears away tracks.  Now, I need to clean my equipment (I also got some dust on the sensor .... Very difficult not to when you're changing lenses on sand dunes).

Here's the completely unedited image.  Too me the sky just doesn't inspire, but let me know what you think.

EDIT - this image does include cleanup, like removing sticks, etc.

DSC_5041_unedited_1200.jpg

Edited by GB111
  • Like 1

I like the minimalist grace of the dunes w/o the dramatic sky, the wind waves are good too.

Rags

Definitely better without the composite sky. On the editing side what I would do is perhaps dehaze a bit in Lr and also bring the luminance of the blues down just a little bit.  

Wow, very interesting fellows. I find that original sky extremely dull, but given that the other sky is about 180 degrees off in the drama category, maybe it's whether the image should be about peace, or action? 

Dallas, I will expt a bit more w/ the colors. A b&w conversation might also be worth a look. I've shot this place a number of times btw.

nice, it should be easy enough to make that blue a bit darker and more saturated