Jump to content
waltonksm

More nature? Or more gear? 60mm F2.8 Olympus

Recommended Posts

So I did it anyway:  I bought a the 60mm f2.8 Olympus macro lens, when I said it was not going to happen anytime soon.  I can see where this lens gets such good reviews.  I have still not systematically reviewed my macro lenses, but this one has some really special characteristics.  So, a few more photos of "nature" using this new lens. I like this lens much better than the 60mm Sigma.

 

A photo of an Alaska wild iris:

A wild iris just about to blossumj

 

Labrador Tea:

Labrador tea

 

Bog Cranberry:

Tundra Cranberries

 

Tundra Rose

Tundra Rose; Prickly Rose

 

And Tundra Cotton:

Tundra Cotton; Cotton Grass

 

I think I really like this lens.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess that I would have to say that I am not surprised that you like your new lens, but then I kind of encouraged you to buy it..... 😀

 

Your images display a rich slice of colourful tundra wild flowers. I especially like the first one and last quite unusual.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hugh:

 

Yes, I am glad that you did recommend it to me. I will be giving it more of a workout this weekend. 

 

Re photos:  I do not know if it is because I am looking more closely because I am photographing more, or if there are some differences this year with growth, but I have NEVER seen the tundra cotton have such huge amounts of the "cotton" before now.  I read somewhere that this was used in the past to actually stuff pillows, or at least an ethnic version of a pillow. The other thing that is different for me is that I have actually followed the development of some of these plants.  I  have actually tracked some specific plants this year, and returned to them day after day.

 

I am waiting for a stock photo agency to beat a path to my doorway. And waiting, and waiting........ 

 

On my list of things to see before I die was a duck-billed platypus.  I saw one at Healesville in 1982.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazon.com just dropped the price for the body to $1499 USD. That may be tough to resist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, waltonksm said:

Hugh:

 

Yes, I am glad that you did recommend it to me. I will be giving it more of a workout this weekend. 

 

Re photos:  I do not know if it is because I am looking more closely because I am photographing more, or if there are some differences this year with growth, but I have NEVER seen the tundra cotton have such huge amounts of the "cotton" before now.  I read somewhere that this was used in the past to actually stuff pillows, or at least an ethnic version of a pillow. The other thing that is different for me is that I have actually followed the development of some of these plants.  I  have actually tracked some specific plants this year, and returned to them day after day.

 

I am waiting for a stock photo agency to beat a path to my doorway. And waiting, and waiting........ 

 

On my list of things to see before I die was a duck-billed platypus.  I saw one at Healesville in 1982.

 

Walton, I am glad that your copy of the 60mm Olympus macro is  good one and is working out for you.  It is always a slightly worrisome thing to recommend something if your copy is a  good one, but the other person gets a bad copy.  Fortunately Olympus lenses have always been very good, so hopefully their sample variation is well controlled. Glad that the summer display has proven to be a good one this season.  Good idea re the longitudinal imaging of particular plants.

 

**************************************** 

 

Healesville is still the best place to see the Platypus.  Their current displays will let you get a reasonable look at the animals.  I have seen brief flashes of them in the wild, and have heard them "plop" into streams in order to escape, but they tend to be pretty shy around people.

 

 

 

8 hours ago, waltonksm said:

Amazon.com just dropped the price for the body to $1499 USD. That may be tough to resist.

 

In Australia they periodically drop the E-M1 MkII from around $A2,800 to $A2,000 (which is about $US1,500 at the moment - same as for B&H). I weakened just after Christmas at the ~$US1,500 mark.  The camera is definitely faster than the Mk1 and its image quality is a little better than the Mk 1, but not so much better as to be a deal maker in the first instance - unless this gain is really important to you that is.  Colour balance on my one  is a little better as well. In the hand it is a wee bit larger and subjectively feels better to myself.  If on a budget, a good second hand copy of the Mk1 may still be the better value proposition I feel.

 

I have had trouble finding a decent Arca-Swiss L-Bracket for the Mk2.  RRS have a very good one that accomodates the swivelling LCD display, but it is expensive at $US180, and they seem to always be out of stock - possibly due to RRS being in the middle of shifting their place of business at the moment.  Gumps web site have a third party one  from Mengs that appears to be OK and it also  accomodates the swivelling LCD (albeit without a dupicate tripod mounting hole underneath for those times you are not needing or using an Arca Swiss mount).  Suitable L-Brackets for the Mk1 seem to be commonplace - I use a nicely made Chinese made one from i_Shoot.

 

Link:  www.gumptrade.com/14010020601.html

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I held the E-M1 Mk II in my hands for about half an hour at most. Went through a few of the menu items before I had to hand the camera over to somebody else who was contemplating buying it. Obviously each new model is going to be an improvement on the previous one, but as you say Hugh, just how much of an improvement does there need to be before you can justify copping the punch to your wallet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By "faster" I assume that you are referring to focusing?  I hope so.  Can you track flying birds with it? Have you compared the tracking with your Nikon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The continuous autofocus on the mkII is VASTLY superior to the C-AF on the mkI.  I shoot many birds in flight and the mkII was a game-changer for this.  I did not think the jump from 16mp to 20mp on the sensor would be a big deal, but when shooting small birds the difference is huge.  I have a mkII as my primary camera with the 300mm f4.0 almost always attached, and I use the mkI as a second camera, usually with the 12-100mm on it.  I also use the 60mm macro, and have had good luck doing the in camera focus-stacking hand-held with both bodies.

Common Mergansers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a wonderful image!  I took the gamble and ordered the MKII a few days ago.... and have been worried about my decision since then.  You have certainly reduced my anxiety level.  It is supposed to arrive today.  Thank you very much.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Walton, you may now have the most amount of MFT gear on the whole group! (although Greg is pretty well stocked too). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Walton, I have not logged in for nearly a week due to other pressures - my word you have lashed out while I have been away - a new lens and a new body in the blinking of an eye! 🙂 

 

In respect of whether the E-M1 MkII is faster than my Nikons, it is definitely quicker in AF-C than say the D810 or Df, but I feel that the D500 is still a little faster than the MkII - but the D500 has the  D5's AF hardware and firmware in its DNA, so I am not too surprised about this.  However it is much quicker than the Mk1 - as Greg has also noted and it should pose no AF issues for use with capturing birds or aircraft. It is slightly heavier and a wee bit bigger than the MkI and I find it easier to hold than the MkI, which is also a plus.

 

Enjoy your new acquisitions!

 

On 02/07/2018 at 08:22, waltonksm said:

By "faster" I assume that you are referring to focusing?  I hope so.  Can you track flying birds with it? Have you compared the tracking with your Nikon?

 

On 06/07/2018 at 04:58, waltonksm said:

What a wonderful image!  I took the gamble and ordered the MKII a few days ago.... and have been worried about my decision since then.  You have certainly reduced my anxiety level.  It is supposed to arrive today.  Thank you very much.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.