GB111

Succulent candy

Comments welcome!

GB

DSC_4156_Edit1_Crop1_4_1500.jpg

While colourful, I think the vibrancy needs to be turned up a touch. 

4 hours ago, Dallas said:

While colourful, I think the vibrancy needs to be turned up a touch. 

This is an image where working in LAB colour mode can provide a dramatic improvement.

I can post a suggested edit if GB111 is happy for me to do so.

Guys, I've def struggled with the color on this one. Have probably produced 6-7 different variations, not sure which is best. I also think I toned it down a little too much here, as it does seem flat.  Below is one of the earlier ones - more colorful, do you think it works better?

Anthony, I've never worked in LAB before. Can you tell me about it?

DSC_4156_Edit1_Crop1_3_1500.jpg

I’m finding these photos are a tad on the soft side, and yes a bit flat. I would expect to see a bit more crispness!

3 hours ago, GB111 said:

Anthony, I've never worked in LAB before. Can you tell me about it?

This is the best explanation I have found.  https://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-use-lab-color-in-photoshop-to-add-punch-to-your-images/

I believe there are other programs than Photoshop which can use this colour space.

• Like 1

GB the colors are not saturated enough
in PS click Image /Mode / lab color (image most be flat, no layers)
it is a lot of fun to play with curves in lab color mode
after you finish playing, flatten the image and go back to RGB mode

• Like 1

OK fellows, I tried the LAB settings. It definitely affects saturation and vibrancy (and I need to read more on WHY).  Here's the adjusted shot w/ a lens blur variation, which may be the best of all (but you tell me!).

So when shooting subjects like this, I've found that you have to be picky about any imperfections. My first shots were terrible because of all the broken and 'dusty' m&ms, the latter partially due to several of them splitting up into tiny bits. I needed to 'dust' each one off using a lens horse hair brush. And even then, many had imperfections - the image required over an hour of (tedious) PS cleanup!

DSC_4156_Edit1_Crop1_lab_1500.jpg

DSC_4156_Edit1_Crop1_labB_1500.jpg

Edited by GB111
  • Like 3

On 5/29/2018 at 07:15, Mike G said:

I’m finding these photos are a tad on the soft side, and yes a bit flat. I would expect to see a bit more crispness!

Mike, I do see what you mean, and I’m not sure of the cause. This is a very sharp lens. I have noticed however that it does not hold its focus (anymore) when aiming straight down  I had to hold it in position for this one, and it’s possible it shifted a bit. I will expt.

thanks,

GB

Edited by GB111

Sooo much better!

Now I will have to investigate this LAB colour business myself. Damn, Photoshop steals more time... 

Dallas + 1.

Thats what I would have expected! I copied your idea as these turned up in the post!

A2474248-1B6C-4704-BBE1-E69194B7E250.jpeg

Thanks guys. The latest ones do pop better.

Mike, now that I think about it I think the lack of sharpness may be due to me using a strobe, with umbrella, which puts out soft light.  Duh me!  I can prob move the umbrella higher /farther away to sharpen the light a bit (the closer the light the softer it appears).  Your jelly bean idea is good, but the background needs work; maybe an Easter basket?

Edited by GB111

GB, the background is my Apple Trackpad, all I could think of at the time, the flipping iMac kept coming out of sleep mode when any of them were moved. :crazy: