crowecg

Winter Beach

Really need to make more time to take photographs - and remember to take a camera with me.  

27487601397_9223fc02de_o.jpg

Untitled 

Looking towards Melbourne from Brighton Beach.  Shot with an iPhone.  The detail in the sand looks like a bit over processed to me, but I do tend to find that the phone struggles with soil type pictures (which I tend to shoot a lot of for work).

• Like 4

Nice composition, Chris. I would maybe trim it a bit at the top to give it a little symmetry with the point at which the beach enters the frame bottom left. 

Were St/Brighton Beach? - used to be my local swimming hole when I lived in E. Brighton and Bentleigh in my 20's (i.e. the '70's). :)

So many of your photos encompass areas that are familiar to me, Chris - it's good to see how they are faring all these decades later.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Dallas, I think your are right about the crop.  I think I may have been a little caught out because my phone shoots in 4:3 rather than the 3:2 I'm used to with my cameras.  Oddly, though when I do crop in post, I often find myself settling on 4:5.

Alan, you are spot on with the location.  Despite the chilly weather (around 5C), there was one hardy swimmer, otherwise only a few early morning dog walkers.  If I can find the time and another bright chilly morning, I'd like to head back again for an early walk.  It does have another feeling when it's not full of selfie taking tourists.

• Like 1

Back in the day the Brighton Icebrgers were the only ones nutty enough to be seen swimming there in winter. As well the skyline behind has totally changed - BHP House as it was then(140 William St) was the landmark tallest building; now I see it's just an insignificant mid-sized rectangle dwarfed by all the newer and much taller buildings to either side of it.

On 28/05/2018 at 09:29, Alan7140 said:

Back in the day the Brighton Icebrgers were the only ones nutty enough to be seen swimming there in winter. As well the skyline behind has totally changed - BHP House as it was then(140 William St) was the landmark tallest building; now I see it's just an insignificant mid-sized rectangle dwarfed by all the newer and much taller buildings to either side of it.

The other big change is that an increasing number of the tall buildings are on the south side of the river.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, crowecg said:

The other big change is that an increasing number of the tall buildings are on the south side of the river.

I know I took several photos of the Melbourne skyline from similar angles back in the early  '70's when I was doing the photography course at RMIT - I must have a bit of a dig through my files to see if I can find something for comparison...

Another cold morning, but brought a bigger camera today.

42823601641_03a5b53dc6_b.jpg

A little bit further around than the previous one.  The shots from that spot probably need a bit more editing than I can manage on a phone.  

Interestingly, you could see right across the Bay in almost every direction - even as far as the You Yangs (nearly 50km away!)

Edited by crowecg

And another from this morning 

Winter Sunrise

Edited by crowecg
  • Like 1

On 16/06/2018 at 08:57, crowecg said:

Another cold morning, but brought a bigger camera today.

A little bit further around than the previous one.  The shots from that spot probably need a bit more editing than I can manage on a phone.  

Interestingly, you could see right across the Bay in almost every direction - even as far as the You Yangs (nearly 50km away!)

Seeing the You Yangs (as well as Arthur's Seat) was a regular thing when a Southerly combined with rain squalls had been blowing back in the '60's & '70's. I suppose big city pollution would obscure them most of the time now.

16 hours ago, Alan7140 said:

Seeing the You Yangs (as well as Arthur's Seat) was a regular thing when a Southerly combined with rain squalls had been blowing back in the '60's & '70's. I suppose big city pollution would obscure them most of the time now.

They were a bit hazy, but I guessed that’s what counts for good visibility these days.  Then again when I used to live in Hong Kong, there were days when the pollution was so bad you couldn’t see across the harbour - a distance of less than 2km (and decreasing).