Dallas

Long Run, Short Pier

15 posts in this topic

P5100088.jpg

P5100004.jpg

The front lawn and the house was a bit run down, but you know they got one hell of a pool.

(from today's real estate listing)

Yeah but it’s a salt water pool! 

11 minutes ago, Mike G said:

Yeah but it’s a salt water pool! 

No maintenance required! Free aquarium thrown in too! 

But seriously, this place has the most amazing position quite literally steps away from the sand, however speaking to the tenant there while I was taking the photos she said that the location is a curse because nothing lasts. They have to replace almost all their electronics within a year because of the corrosion, not to mention what it does to their vehicles...

But doesn’t that aquarium host Great White Sharks?

1 hour ago, Mike G said:

But doesn’t that aquarium host Great White Sharks?

Among other things, but the great whites we send down to Cape Town to terrorise the pretentious folks who like to call it home. :crazy:

1 person likes this

I’ve only been to ZA twice once to Durban and once to Capetown!

Give me a high-maintenance, in-ground, shark-free pool in preference any time....

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Alan7140 said:

Give me a high-maintenance, in-ground, shark-free pool in preference any time....

Oh, I don't know about that, Alan. The last three homes we have lived in have all had gunnite concrete pools and when their chemistry goes wrong it becomes an absolute nightmare to deal with. Not dissimilar to setting fire to your money... Fortunately the one we have in our current abode is the smallest of them all and has not given us any issues in the 10 years we've been here. 

That said, if I was developing a property for my own residential purposes now, to beat the Durban summer I would rather spend the money on ducted airconditioning and a jacuzzi than a swimming pool. 

....and adding - I'd rather not have a high maintenance swimming pool at all. My fear of cleaning a pool is therefore less than that for a Great White Shark, but as I can guarantee that I'll never die from a shark attack, neither will I ever drown in my own high-maintenance pool. :D 

1 person likes this

One of the unique things about the Durban beaches is that they are protected by shark nets. These are somewhat controversial as they do from time to time cause the deaths of sea creatures, including dolphins and turtles, but in my lifetime I have not heard of a single shark attack here, whereas in Cape Town they are a regular occurrence, mostly fatal. 

I remember swimming at Durban in the very early '60's in the rather euphemistically named "shark cage", before the concept of netting a whole beach to keep sharks out was implemented, I guess.

When as a young 21 year old and visiting Durban, we all decided to buy swimming trunks called “Hang Tens” a surfing term I believe, however when the trunks got wet they became transparent until the water drained out of them! 

But for some reason not all the trunks were affected!

Posted (edited)

Nice images Dallas.  One of the problems of swimming in the sea is that you effectively become part of the food chain for predators such as sharks.  No use blaming the sharks - nature has programmed their behaviour over many millennia.

Edited by Hugh_3170
bad spelling
2 people like this

54 minutes ago, Mike G said:

When as a young 21 year old and visiting Durban, we all decided to buy swimming trunks called “Hang Tens” a surfing term I believe, however when the trunks got wet they became transparent until the water drained out of them! 

But for some reason not all the trunks were affected!

Ah yes, I recall the Hang Ten brand. Haven't seen those around for ages. I think they were an American lot. When I was growing up in the 70's and 80's the surf apparel industry was evolving rapidly. The surfers Shaun and Mike Tomson had both established separate clothing brands by the 80's, Shaun with Instinct and Mike with Gotcha! They both became massive global brands but are sadly no longer based in SA. We also have a few Aussie brands here including Billabong, Rip Curl (my favourite for T-shirts) and Quiksilver. Ridiculously expensive, all of them. 

1 person likes this

I should have said that that was around 1966/67!