Mike G

X-H1 further musings!

Now several weeks into the X-H1:

The Good!

This new body seems to fit my quite small male hands superbly.

The new rounded buttons are much easier to use compared to the X-T2 flat buttons.

Faster AF even  using the FX 35mm 1.4, other lenses also benefit from the improved algorithm.

The improved card hatch and connector hatch are an improvement.

I perceive a small improvement in image quality.

The output equals or betters the X-T2

Also I see the LCD as being sharp as a tack.

The EVF is great the detail is super.

The menus are familiar but encompass the new facilities.

The whole experience of the camera seems slicker and quicker.

An almost silent shutter noise is very good.

The X-H1 in my eyes is an evolution of the X-T2, which in my mind is better than a revolution.

The body feels a lot more robust, time will tell if the finish is as equally robust?

Of course all your lenses and most bits fit.

IBIS because it does not intrude.

3366C541-750C-49D4-A51F-19AB7F6CF1D6.jpeg

iPhone X

Not so good.

The extra 5 ozs of weight.

Battery life.

Apparent feature of the normal mode LCD & EVF where the refresh rate slows down.(I think this is a bug and not a feature)

Boot up a tad slower.

According to my list the pros outweigh the cons by a fair margin. Another reassuring feature is that Fuji will tweak and improve the camera in the same way that they have done to their other photo products!

Are you able to put your squishy green blob on the shutter release. :) 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah - I would have thought that the absence of the fitting for the squishy green blob (which most of us use as a cable release socket) would have been a deal breaker for you, Mike. :D:D

That, the omission or the +/- exp comp dial and a failure to return to a more sensible, fool-proof and not accident-prone ISO and shutter speed dial lock are most certainly where any fleeting interest in that camera vaporised for me. I shoot stills, not video, and all the "improvements" seem video-focused (there's no need for a cable release socket in video, nor a dial that produces audible clicks while filming with sound recording on). Rather than being an evolution of the X-T2, I think this camera is an adaptation to better facilitate video photography, inclusion of IBIS, and help the sale of Fuji's new lineup of video-orientated lenses.

One thing I'm sure of is that there will be an X-T3 which will bring a new sensor, EVF and maybe a more compact IBIS system to the party. The rumours are that the sensor may not be an X-Trans, but a 26MP APS-C stacked CMOS sensor design along the lines of the 135 Sony A9, and there's also a possibility that IBIS won't be included. The improvements would therefore be directed at data transfer and AF speed and tracking, as well as low light performance. If reviews of the A9 are any guide, mirrorless well and truly trounces DSLR with these developments, 20fps and AF tracking that samples focus at 60 times per second.

Exciting as this all may be for most, it won't interest me enough to leave my X-T2 and its wonderful X-Trans sensor, and its apparently inadequate AF tracking that I've yet to need or use since I bought it nearly two years ago. Even if they do include IBIS, I currently have every focal length from 10mm to 400mm covered with lenses containing Fuji's superb OIS system, so IBIS holds no interest for me.

Edited by Alan7140
  • Like 1

Mike, at a pinch, and with an artists bush and a tinlet of green Humbrol hobby pain, your shutter release can be very easily rendered green!

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

4 hours ago, Dallas said:

Are you able to put your squishy green blob on the shutter release. :) 

Come on you lot get over this “squishy green blob” fetish you’re all harbouring. 

By by the way does anyone know of a sticky backed squishy orange blob thing? :crazy:

• Like 1

Alan, IBIS is an addition to OIS not instead of! Even for my small hands the new style grip feels better. And yes an increase in focusing speed, nought wrong that. Also it retains the X-T2 image quality + a tad more, my subjective non expert view of course!

Mike, try Humbrol Orange Gloss (Code 18 / AA0196) or Humbrol Matt (Code 46 / AA0045).

Happy painting! :devil:

2 hours ago, Mike G said:

Come on you lot get over this “squishy green blob” fetish you’re all harbouring. 

By by the way does anyone know of a sticky backed squishy orange blob thing? :crazy:

56 minutes ago, Hugh_3170 said:

Mike, try Humbrol Orange Gloss (Code 18 / AA0196) or Humbrol Matt (Code 46 / AA0045).

Happy painting! :devil:

Hugh, NO NO it has to be brass & enamel

• Like 1

Mike, you crack me right up! :rofl:

1 minute ago, Mike G said:

Hugh, NO NO it has to be brass & enamel

• Like 1

So fussy! ;) Here's a lifetime supply so you can choose a colour to suit your mood:

Sparkly Fuji button pads

• Like 1

When in Australia, another alternative is to head to the nearest Spotlight craft and sewing outlet for the sparkly stickers.

• Like 1

Hugh & Alan, Sadly Australia is not on the itinerary just at the moment as I haven’t had my pension increase yet! I’ve been to Brisbane and Perth but not Tasmania or Melbourne so far. So if a balding portly gentleman knocks on your door🚪 it might be me. Now there’s a threat if ever there was. :crazy:

• Like 3

Mike, I think that I could find you a pint or a wee dram or two should you knock on my door.

• Like 1

Oh contraire Vivion there is an Ex Comp dial available that is IMHO easier to use! The camera can be set up to utilise the rear command dial, where the Ex Comp button acts as a switch to enable or disable the EC dial action with no need to hold the button down!

Much easier to use and is way less liable to accidental movement

I have remembered that the default setting for when RCD is pressed is retained, so you still get the magnified screen view!

And the EC is the full -5 to +5 in 1/3 steps when in use! :D

Surely only clumsiness could be the reason for a thumb to accidentally bump the X-T2's EC dial, Mike.

Anyhow, as I've mentioned, the omission of the cable release socket from the shutter button is absolutely a deal killer for me. Plugging a fiddly micro-usb plug in that's attached to a switch with no tactile feedback, especially when a L bracket is fitted and the camera mounted vertically on a tripod is just not on for me. When I'm taking multi-row panos that's the way the camera is mounted, and when a shutter-button mounted mechanical release is then at the top pointing outward and in a natural position for the left hand to hold easily. A solid button was the single thing I hated most about the X-T1, and the return of the threaded release button was one of the main reasons I jumped at the X-T2 as soon as it arrived in this country.

I get that Fuji think the X-H1 is a video camera and the solid button is more user-friendly with a cable release being largely irrelevant, but for stills work on a tripod it leaves the camera compromised beyond salvation for me. As I'm probably not Robinson Crusoe in this (only taking stills, never video), I guess that's why this camera is a new and completely separate model line.

Clumsiness it may be Alan but in my case I don’t put it down to more of an unnoticed mishap. The new EC method is superior and easier to control at least in my eyes. I’m sort of in agreement about the cable release socket, although I do have the Fuji plug in release, which is as tactile as the shutter button! Probably it was the introduction of the more sensitive shutter release which necessitated the demise of the screwing socket? I have found that once you are used to the new shutter, it’s very nice to use but it is sensitive.

I don’t agree the X-H1 is a video camera with stills bolted rather the other way round, yes the video features are enhanced, that doesn’t make it a video camera. The X-T2 as you know has video features but those features on the X-H1 have been enhanced! There are few stills cameras introduced these days that don’t have video features

Of course it’s not perfect what camera is. In my very non expert view the X-H1 is what the X-T2 should have been! The sophistication of the X-H1 far outweighs my skills, but I say that about every new camera I buy!