Michael Erlewine

Adobe’s new Camera Raw Releases and New Profiles

This release is, to me, big news. It reminds me of color grading which video enthusiasts are already familiar with, but for stills. 

This update is for Lightroom, Photoshop and, of course, Camera Raw.

It includes a new Adobe Color to replace the standard we have had for ten years or so, plus ones for Monochrome, Landscape, Neutral (maybe like S-Log in video), Protrait, and Vivid. These are for raw files.

In addition there are some 40 or so creative profiles that can be applied to any type of file, JPG, TIFF, etc.

Plus there are all show as imaged on the main screen of Camera Raw, for instance. This is a very important change and looks to save me LOTS of time. Check it out:

https://theblog.adobe.com/april-lightroom-adobe-camera-raw-releases-new-profiles

• Like 2

This is great! They have made some terrific changes to simplify the UI in Lightroom and the previews of all these new profiles and presets are really quick loading. You only have to hover your cursor over the setting and it shows you the full effect instantly. 

Lightroom-screen.png

• Like 1

So after actually using the new Lightroom Classic CC for work purposes today, I must report that this new behaviour of loading the preset previews onto the main image before you have applied them is incredibly stupid software design. It puts a lot of strain on the computer's CPU, slowing things down and also leaves you wondering whether you have messed something up if you accidentally hover over a different preset in the same group while you are still working on an image. 

Incredibly there is no option to turn this behaviour off. 

>:(

Posted (edited)

Btw. There is something ByThom that I don't understand: "profiles versus presets. The creative profiles in the latest version don't move sliders, they use LUTs to make their adjustments, can be faded (they're basically a hidden adjustment layer of sorts),"

What does he mean with "can be faded"? I don't see any slider to fade a profile.

Edited by Tom

He says that it's something you get in the Adobe SDK (software developer's kit), so nothing we'd see, unfortunately. 

Posted (edited)

Ah, found it! Not all profiles are "fadeable". But apply e.g. some of the "art" profiles and the slider automagically pops up at the top of the Profil Browser.

Edited by Tom