Mike G

X-H1 annoying feature

An annoying feature of the new wonder machine is “Power Saving Mode” in that when using the LCD or EVF in normal mode after about 10-15 seconds of viewing but otherwise inactivity, the EVF and LCD go into power saving mode and the refresh rate is halved and the view becomes a bit jittery and jerky as the screens then struggle to keep the smoothness of the usual operation! Press a the shutter halfway or the back focus button and the smooth operation returns for a short while

Apparently this is a feature not a fault as Fuji UK support informed me! also this feature happens on the X-T2 as well, this phenomenon doesn’t happen in boost mode. Fuji UK promised to pass on my comments to Japan. I never noticed this on my X-T2!

Hopefully a firmware update will give the opportunity to switch this feature off. This feature is not terminal just irritating!

I had to re-read that. Initially I thought you had said 10-15 minutes of inactivity. :) I have always been in the habit of turning off my camera when I am not going to use it in the next few minutes, but I hear you - it would be irritating to have the EVF do something weird when you aren't expecting it. 

If it happening after 10-15 minutes, there would be no irritation. :D

Rarely see this behavior with any of my X-series cameras.  It will be interesting to see if Fuji addresses this issue with firmware updates, however.

Merlin, I agree I don’t recall seeing this “feature” on my X-T2 either, not a big problem but an annoyance. An internet search did turn up references to this behaviour! I wouldn’t mind if Fujifilm gave me the option of turning it off. 

• Like 1

I have seen this behaviour on my X-T2.  To be honest, it does not bother me, a touch of the shutter button sorts it out.  Normally I turn my camera off anyway quickly after taking a shot.  If the battery saving is significant and there was a way to turn off this feature I probably would not use it. 

• Like 1

Anthony, I hear what you say and I tend to agree with what you say, but power saving is optional from off to 5minutes! Why can’t the VF & LCD power saving be the same, 13 seconds is too short! And I think it spoils a brilliant machine, not least because it is unknown to the manual!

I never noticed this phenomenon on my X-T2! Although the internet has mentions aplenty, which was quite a surprise. :D

23 hours ago, Mike G said:

Anthony, I hear what you say and I tend to agree with what you say, but power saving is optional from off to 5minutes! Why can’t the VF & LCD power saving be the same, 13 seconds is too short! And I think it spoils a brilliant machine, not least because it is unknown to the manual!

I never noticed this phenomenon on my X-T2! Although the internet has mentions aplenty, which was quite a surprise. :D

Yes, I agree, I cannot see why it is not mentioned in the manual and why it cannot be adjusted by the user to personal taste.

• Like 1

On 14/03/2018 at 22:31, Dallas said:

I have always been in the habit of turning off my camera when I am not going to use it in the next few minutes, but I hear you - it would be irritating to have the EVF do something weird when you aren't expecting it. 

I was irritated by the function as well, and switched my X-E3 to the high performance mode immediately after I started to use it!  I also make it a habit to switch the camera off whenever I (not the camera) am in the stand-by mode!

By having to switch to boost mode to get rid of this ridiculous feature sort of defeats the object somewhat, methinks! 

I’m afraid that was another nail in my Fuji coffin.  ⚰️ 

The battery life is one of the Achilles heels of Fuji for sure, but, as a casual shooter, it is tolerable.   The boost mode (thank you for the correction!) seems rather normal operation mode to me.  😳

• Like 1