Mike G

Fujifilm X-H1

Oh dear I just couldn’t resist it and a brand new Fujifilm X-H1 rocked up to my door today!

34FDD5CC-7982-49B8-AB2D-CB95F5BAAAF9.jpeg

Initial impressions are are that yes the extra five ounces can be noticed but not detrimentally.

Focusing is quite a bit faster, shutter sound much more subtle, IBIS does make a difference!

Can communicate via Bluetooth or Wireless for remote operation and downloading images to an iPhone. The new grip shape is very good and feels much better and secure even in my small hands. Operation feels very slick and the shutter button is quite sensitive but not overly so, a different feel so there is muscle memory to retrain!

Same battery as the X-T2(126s) the 126 won’t work in the X-H1 or I believe look-a-like batteries either! There is also a touch screen facility but I not tried that out as yet!

The loss of the EC wheel I’ve found to be no loss as the EC button can act as a switch so EC is a doddle to set without the need of holding down the button and turning!

The new style on/off switch is much more robust and positive in action, much less wish washy.

Mostly there is a familiar feel to the rear panel, but it is a bit different.

Finally for this short rundown the X-H1 feels a lot more robust than an X-T2.

regards Mike

• Like 3

Congratulations!  May it serve you well.

• Like 1

Thanks Merlin, I have the will power of a cabbage. :crazy:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mike G said:

Thanks Merlin, I have the will power of a cabbage. :crazy:

Why not have what you want?  (If you can afford it.)  Life is much too short anyway.

• Like 1

So.... when does the GFX arrive, then, Mike? ;) 

There's no button to push in operating the EC dial on your X-T2, Mike. I'm therefore guessing that you don't use it much, so there's no loss there.

On the other hand my shooting has me constantly using it - so for me the loss of that dial is a deal-breaker. I need it much more than an LCD, and I also have zero use for the X-H1's obviously video-biased additions and improvements. I'm still undecided as to whether IBIS is an addition that can be of any benefit for me or not, I look forward to your comments on it as you get to using the camera.

Assuming an X-T3 will also include IBIS now, I think I'd prefer probably that camera to the X-H1, but I'm in no hurry for either, the X-T2 serves me perfectly adequately, which is the first time I can honestly say that about a digital camera, always being at the head of the queue in the past for the latest model no matter what brand I was using at the time.

• Like 1

Naughty boy! :crazy:

I must speak to Dave about your behaviour! :yes:

• Like 1

After trying to use the Canon EOS 200D for stills (unsuccessfully), I have come to the conclusion that I cannot operate effectively without IBIS in a camera. 

So now you will have to start a YouTube channel, Mike. :) 

2 hours ago, Dallas said:

So now you will have to start a YouTube channel, Mike. :) 

Dallas old boy that ain’t gonna happen any time soon. :no:

Alan, there will be NO GFX, cos I am not rich! This coming from someone who fancies a Leica M10, but of course I’m day dreaming now

I too wondered about the EC wheel, but after albeit a short acquaintance, it seems a more convenient way of adjusting the EC with the camera at the eye also whilst using the rear screen! The command wheels are slightly bigger and more positive in their action, so making the EC operation easier than the top plate dial! IMHO. 

Yes the video system has been boosted, but the stills system has seen significant upgrades! The touch screen operation I am ambivalent with, maybe time will tell as to its usefulness! But I can always turn it off!

Mike, heartiest congrats on your new acquisition. I will be very interested if you will please give us your further observations on the camera in actual use - and post some images please.

As to a Me Tube channel, like you that would be an utterly pointless and useless waste of time for me.

• Like 1

Mike, regarding the Leica M10, by all accounts it is a very good rangefinder camera.

Having said that, my experience with the Leica M9 was not entirely positive. The white balance was erratic and inconsistent and the jpgs out of the camera were simply very mediocre. I much preferred the Zeiss Ikon film rangefinder, which was a joy to handle and use and produced lovely results.

I am starting to think about Leica again, possibly the Leica Q or the Leica CL. The problem with Leica is the exorbitant cost of the lenses, although the much cheaper Zeiss M mount lenses are excellent and work perfectly with the M10.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, vivionm said:

Mike, regarding the Leica M10, by all accounts it is a very good rangefinder camera.

Vivion, just day dreaming for me I’m afraid, but I would like to try one. ::)

• Like 1

Of course I'm not saying that the X-H1 is without advancements in stills photography, Mike, just that its primary purpose I think is a new line from Fuji being developed for those who want to use video as much or more than they use stills. Fuji thus far has been very good at reading the market place - I remember the derision and scoffing that accompanied the introduction of the XF series, particularly the X-Pro1 and X-T1, and look how that turned out. From a company which had no current professional-level digital system just over six years ago, it is now well established in both the digital small format and medium format areas, with increasingly expanding system lenses and cameras.

Improvements in AF are of little concern for me, but I get it that many people struggle with manual focus, a situation that will only increase as more and more people start their photography with AF-orientated, stabilised lenses and cameras. Fossils like me who not only learned and trained with fully manual cameras, and then went on to spend several decades using such equipment in professional situations usually have few problems getting sharp shots no matter what camera is being used, but I remember all too well how long it took me to achieve that after buying my first Hasselblad while at university in 1972.

Consistency only came for me only about a year after first starting to use the camera. Anyone who used Hasselblads from their earliest days in photography will probably concur focusing the beast was extremely difficult (never mind trying to focus quickly), as was getting level shots when using the waist-level finder in particular. Getting shots free of camera shake was also only achieved after considerable experience with the camera. Like riding a bike, once learnt these skills seem to recur naturally when needed but can be taken for granted, and it serves to remember just how difficult they can be to acquire for those not using the equipment at a professional level, or who actually never learnt with such equipment in the first place.

• Like 3

Very true, Alan. As we lean more and more on the advances in camera technologies the level of skill required to operate one has dropped significantly. 

8 hours ago, Alan7140 said:

Of course I'm not saying that the X-H1 is without advancements in stills photography, Mike, just that its primary purpose I think is a new line from Fuji being developed for those who want to use video as much or more than they use stills. Fuji thus far has been very good at reading the market place - I remember the derision and scoffing that accompanied the introduction of the XF series, particularly the X-Pro1 and X-T1, and look how that turned out. From a company which had no current professional-level digital system just over six years ago, it is now well established in both the digital small format and medium format areas, with increasingly expanding system lenses and cameras.

Alan, I’m in agreement with you generally speaking. I have seen a steady increase in the chatter wanting an increased video capability, especially on other Fuji related forums! As I’m sure you are aware that certainly for weddings there is a demand for a video record of the event, also vlogging is quite popular, and even read of feature films being made with DSLRs!

7932BFCD-0FE3-4E19-9148-1CC14C55CA98.jpeg

I think the X-H1 is an answer to that demand and also keeping the stills shooters on side! 

As another old fossil I can remember that just to get wedding B/W photos was a very expensive exercise, now of course everybody and his Uncle has access to a camera or a phone camera! The chap in the above photo was using a Canon if memory serves me well. Even the media are using video a great deal more these days picking stills from the footage. Sorry don’t mean to teach me granddaddy to suck eggs. :no:

Being a bit of a gear tart, I find it difficult to resist a sparkly new bit of kit, and so I found nd finger hovering over the purchase button and it was in stock so.............

Enjoy the new gear, Mike.  Are you keeping the X-T2?

Anthony, for the moment I’m keeping the X-T2 as first reserve, but unused in a draw! I’m afraid it was an impulse purchase as WEX had it in stock, so between me and Mr MasterCard we got together and I ummed and arhed for a day finally leaping for the phone on late Saturday afternoon and delivered on Tuesday. There is absolutely no way I could justify to anyone else this impulse. ::)

Canon DSLR's and Panasonic GH series are ruling the roost as far as video goes. The Canon 200D I have is actually quite a decent little camera. I have been playing around with it the past few days and am considering doing a rare camera review. The unboxing video I made on YouTube has had close to 7000 views. 😮

The X-H1 touch system will take some getting used to, it is very sensitive to touch(surprise surprise) time and practice will cure that. The little sub monitor is growing on me which is a bit of surprise! Operation is very quiet and in a quiet roo barely audible!

The grip is great if only Fuji had put that grip on the X-T2! The viewfinder is super and very detailed, lovely.

I’m sure Fuji will also update the firmware of this machine as it has done with all of their products , and apparently I have two years membership of FPS. :D

5 minutes ago, Dallas said:

Canon DSLR's and Panasonic GH series are ruling the roost as far as video goes. The Canon 200D I have is actually quite a decent little camera. I have been playing around with it the past few days and am considering doing a rare camera review. The unboxing video I made on YouTube has had close to 7000 views. 😮

And was just an unboxing!

As I sit here playing (I mean familiarising) myself with the operation there is some de ja vu going on with the X-T2 which is good as it will mean the the learning curve will be shorter! On consequence of the snappier operation is that my reaction time ain’t good enough, thank goodness for the delete button. :yes:

Mike, that's not déjà-vu, that's déjàvoodoo!

Viv

• Like 1

I am anxiously awaiting the X-AI, which will know instantly what the photographer is thinking and visualising, and automatically make the necessary settings and adjustments (e.g. ISO, focus point, aperture, SS, EC) to achieve the result, and even press the shutter button.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vivionm said:

Mike, that's not déjà-vu, that's déjàvoodoo!

Viv

I knew I’d get the déjà-vu all wrong. :huh: It took me 20 years to learn how to spell “necessary”

19 minutes ago, merlin said:

I am anxiously awaiting the X-AI, which will know instantly what the photographer is thinking and visualising, and automatically make the necessary settings and adjustments (e.g. ISO, focus point, aperture, SS, EC) to achieve the result, and even press the shutter button.

Oh come on firing the shutter will be by ones eye by looking at the focus point! :D

I did mean to mention a couple of other "improvements" that killed any notion of me buying an X-H1:

1. They've deleted the cable-release thread integral with the shutter button. This is perhaps my most used accessory for my X-T2, and its re-introduction with the X-T2 after omitting it from the X-T1 was uppermost in my thinking when ordering an X-T2 before its retail release.

This now means farting around with a fiddly micro-USB plug or similar and a dedicated remote release, or messing about with a smartphone. Sometimes replacing a cheap, universal thing like a mechanical cable release with fiddly or complex electronic alternatives is a step backwards, but in this case it confirms the X-H1's primary orientation to video use.

2. In Australia the power grip is not an optional extra - it is a standard non-delete item when buying the camera. This lifts the price to nearly $3,400 AUD retail, which is getting to be overpriced for what it is. The mandatory power grip again points to Fuji's intention of marketing a video-oriented camera.

• Like 1