crowecg

Melbourne

I'd driven under this bridge over the Eastern Freeway many times and often wondered about the view.  Finally I got around to getting on top of the bridge with my camera!

39709278335_cb2c456758_o.jpg

D7F_0451 

And looking in the other direction...

26732532598_c5d404341b_o.jpg

D7F_0451

And crossing the bridge leads to an area of park land enclosed by a loop in the river.

39709278605_a6a453949d_o.jpg

D7F_0451

• Like 1

My oh my, that city has changed almost beyond recognition for me. Despite the signs it still took me a few minutes to realise that the first shot was of the Eastern Freeway, and just a few metres from where my daily commute to work from early 1979 to late 1982 came to a crawl or complete stop at the Hoddle Street off-ramp lanes. I'd hate to think what the peak hours traffic there would be like these days.

#1 and #3 are good clear indications of where the city is at.

Alan, I think that you are in a much better place down there in Tasmania.

And the Eastern Freeway is still one of the better roads in Melbourne.  Our current premier is doing his best to sort out the roading and railways mess, with a large number of new infrastructure projects now underway, but he has inherited over 70 years of inaction by all sides of state politics............

I understand that the OP is associated with some of the new railways projects and my daughter is a senior engineer on the roading side of things.

2 minutes ago, Hugh_3170 said:

Alan, I think that you are in a much better place down there in Tasmania.

Indeed, Hugh, and there are no plans to change that, either. :D

The last time I drove west on that freeway would have been in late 1994, I reckon.

Alan, I'm sure it will change even more, there are at least 8 tower cranes visible in the first photo.

the Eastern can be frustrating with it terminating at a set of traffic lights - one of the shots of the outbound direction showed the road almost empty, obviously everyone is queued up at a set of lights, engines revving......

Hugh, I wouldn't be surprised if I've come across your daughter during my time working on various infrastructure projects around town.  Does she work in contracting or consulting?

11 hours ago, crowecg said:

Alan, I'm sure it will change even more, there are at least 8 tower cranes visible in the first photo.

the Eastern can be frustrating with it terminating at a set of traffic lights - one of the shots of the outbound direction showed the road almost empty, obviously everyone is queued up at a set of lights, engines revving......

Hugh, I wouldn't be surprised if I've come across your daughter during my time working on various infrastructure projects around town.  Does she work in contracting or consulting?

I used to avoid Punt Road/Hoddle Street like the plague on my way home each evening, just for the amount of backing-up and waiting at lights that it took to actually get onto the freeway. It was invariably quicker to head up through the streets of Kew and avoid the Eastern altogether, but that was back when it terminated at Doncaster so there was a jam at that end as well. After three years of that commute to St Kilda Rd after moving to Warrandyte, it was one of the reasons I opted for a lesser-paying job at Ivanhoe which knocked nearly an hour each way off my morning and evening travel times. As the freeway itself looks little changed from when I travelled it (just the vegetation and cityscape have radically changed), and presumably with the same city-end bottleneck still in place, I can but imagine how horrendous that commute would be these days.

Off Topic:

On the East side of the city this freeway runs into a very busy North/South Street called Hoddle Street.  This street was shut down for a week just after New Year to initiate work on adding more entrances and exits onto/off the Eastern Freeway and also on improved onto/off exits and entrances from Hoddle Street into other East/West Streets.  Another big shut down around Easter should see the completion of this work.  The new entrance and exit arrangements are designed to minimise gridlocks and to significantly lower the time spent waiting at lights.  As Alan says, the commute is "horrendous" and hopefully the new entrance and exit arrangements should make things a lot better.

2 hours ago, Alan7140 said:

I used to avoid Punt Road/Hoddle Street like the plague on my way home each evening, just for the amount of backing-up and waiting at lights that it took to actually get onto the freeway. It was invariably quicker to head up through the streets of Kew and avoid the Eastern altogether, but that was back when it terminated at Doncaster so there was a jam at that end as well. After three years of that commute to St Kilda Rd after moving to Warrandyte, it was one of the reasons I opted for a lesser-paying job at Ivanhoe which knocked nearly an hour each way off my morning and evening travel times. As the freeway itself looks little changed from when I travelled it (just the vegetation and cityscape have radically changed), and presumably with the same city-end bottleneck still in place, I can but imagine how horrendous that commute would be these days.

• Like 1

Just for interest, Chris, today I found a neg I took in either 1972 or 73 of the Eastern Fwy under construction, and thanks to Google Earth 3D I almost immediately confirmed that it was taken from the southern side of the Yarra Boulevard bridge looking back towards Ivanhoe, Templestowe and Doncaster (with The Dandenongs in the distance). The big square building is still there, and while it has had a loading bay extension added to the front, the freeway-side wall is still exactly as it was back then.

IT4CmF2.jpg

Edited by Alan7140
  • Like 2

It can be great fun, and offer new discoveries, to go back in time to older photographs. 

Fuji X-T1, X-T2, 16/1.4, 23/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 18-55; X30

http://merlinemrysphoto.com

blog.evening-sun.com

My shots that day were all along the motorway, so I don’t have anything that really shows the current version of your scene.  Next time I’m out that way I will point the camera in that direction.

I believe there is  now a lot more vegetation which may hide the buildings a bit.