XT2F1317_lzn.jpg

XT2F1318_lzn.jpg

XT2F1319_lzn.jpg

3 people like this

Where were these taken Merlin?

1 person likes this

46 minutes ago, Mike G said:

Where were these taken Merlin?

Outside our front door, and some a very short way up the driveway.  The 18-55 was still on the camera, and I worked a bit with opening up the aperture to throw some of the background OOF on some of them, which was not the case on our hike yesterday.

Edited by merlin
1 person likes this

I expect that there were no t-shirt expeditions that day then. If your getting the snow like that at relatively low altitude what must it be like at higher altitudes?

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Mike G said:

I expect that there were no t-shirt expeditions that day then. If your getting the snow like that at relatively low altitude what must it be like at higher altitudes?

It was no more than an inch and a half, and by sunset almost all of it was gone.  Up in the mountains there is a bit more, but no real snowpack so far this year, which does not bode well for the spring runoff replenishing water in the rivers.

And 7000 feet of elevation is not relatively low, although the mountains nearby get up to 13,000.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, merlin said:

And 7000 feet of elevation is not relatively low, although the mountains nearby get up to 13,000.

Whoops it ain’t is it, but I am someone who lives at lofty 7 feet elevation. :D

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Mike G said:

Whoops it ain’t is it, but I am someone who lives at lofty 7 feet elevation. :D

Flatlanders!!!  :devil:

1 person likes this

Mike will you be buying the Fuji X-H1?

Viv

1 hour ago, vivionm said:

Mike will you be buying the Fuji X-H1?

Viv

I have been following the launch of this new Fuji with interest, but for the life of me I don’t understand the inclusion of a GFX dinky  shoulder LCD, I think it very silly and a waste of resources! I’m so not into video, so another demerit there. I would like to physically feel the heft of the machine, about another 5.85 ounces heavier than the X-T2 I believe. 

So so the answer is probably NO but as always I’m tempted. I’ll wait and see if an X-T3 is announced later in the year!

Edited by Mike G

I have no use for video either, but will have a look whenever there camera reaches the shops.

1 person likes this

I don't think it is for me either.  It would take me back towards DSLR size and handling.  Still, I will have a look at it, but I am really anticipating the X-T3.

1 person likes this

This is what happens when a manufacturer tries to put everything that the Internet asks for into a camera, and forgets what its original stated goals were. At least is was honest and didn't try to pass it off as part of the X-T* series.

In a way I'm OK with this as it means I don't have another camera on my shopping list now, and I wish all the gear freaks happy days in playing with all the features they'll never need or use during the rest of the time they own their 'pretend-stills' video camera.

2 people like this

And now back to A Magical Snowy Morning!   :D

Edited by merlin
1 person likes this

Apologies - I did not mean to drive this thread off topic.

But I couid not find a place to initiate a discussion of the new Fuji camera. Perhaps that is just my ineptitude.

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, vivionm said:

Apologies - I did not mean to drive this thread off topic.

But I couid not find a place to initiate a discussion of the new Fuji camera. Perhaps that is just my ineptitude.

IIRC Dallas just sent out a newsletter stating that there would be a Fujifilm forum, but I can't find it either!  The only Fuji-related forum has been archived.

Just saw that. Gear forums are gone. Whatever next?

2 hours ago, Alan7140 said:

This is what happens when a manufacturer tries to put everything that the Internet asks for into a camera, and forgets what its original stated goals were. At least is was honest and didn't try to pass it off as part of the X-T* series.

In a way I'm OK with this as it means I don't have another camera on my shopping list now, and I wish all the gear freaks happy days in playing with all the features they'll never need or use during the rest of the time they own their 'pretend-stills' video camera.

I am with you, Alan.  I have zero need for video or IBIS in my still cameras.  If I want video, I have a video camera for that.  The only item that would tempt me is a 16-85 f/4 lens.

8 hours ago, merlin said:

IIRC Dallas just sent out a newsletter stating that there would be a Fujifilm forum, but I can't find it either!  The only Fuji-related forum has been archived.

Apologies to you, Merlin for this gear intrusion on this thread. As I said in the newsletter, there are no more gear forums open for this sort of discussion because honestly, they almost always devolve into unpleasantries. However, I will be creating two more databases specifically for gear discussions. One of these will be a database of Fujinon lenses, as with the Nikon and m43 databases. The other will be for new cameras (of all types) as they are introduced. These will not be forums though, they will be databases where each record relates to a specific item and comments can be made about the item. All comments must be relevant to the record. The end result will hopefully be something that all members and visitors can benefit from. 

When will this happen? As soon as I get the time. Right now I am busy with a dozen other projects and commissioned jobs. Creating these databases is very time consuming, so please bear with me. 

1 person likes this

From the December 2017 Newsletter:

"In 2018 we will be adding specific groups for different types of gear. We already have a Nikon group and we will be adding groups for Fujifilm, Micro Four Thirds and... yes, Canon!"

Will this happen?

3 hours ago, vivionm said:

From the December 2017 Newsletter:

"In 2018 we will be adding specific groups for different types of gear. We already have a Nikon group and we will be adding groups for Fujifilm, Micro Four Thirds and... yes, Canon!"

Will this happen?

Had a community leader come forward to run the forum then it would have. Alas nobody put their hand up, so the general forum area has been closed (as I did warn it was in danger of doing last year). 

Thank you for the explanation.

Although closing all gear talk means that something really important like a brand new camera release, or the availability of a new firmware release, means that respondents to this forum have no choice but to make mention of it as has happened here, in a post where the OP is a known user of the brand concerned and thus comment is likely to be read by other users of the brand.

Along with probably several others I looked to starting a topic in the Fujifilm Users Group in the Gear section, which of course is disabled. There seems little point in leaving that whole section up at all if it never progresses.

2 people like this

Alan, Dallas said (something along the lines of) that if a group of us are willing to moderate a Fuji gear section, he might be open to that.  Would you, and perhaps Mike G., want to join me in doing this?

2 people like this

I’d be willing to give it a go! I miss a place to chat about gear of whatever brand!

1 person likes this

As long as there is a very clear code of conduct spelt out by the moderator(s) at the start of the gear sections when they get started up.

I can well remember the utterly futile technology wars that I observed when I was working in IT and they really were most unhelpful indeed. 

Thus I can seee both points of view - those of Dallas as the moderator trying to keep the warring parties apart and those of genuinely interested parties and contributors such as the Fuji users in this particular thread (all of whom have been very well behaved indeed  -  well done chaps! :D).

3 people like this