merlin

New Lens Goes Off Trail, Part 2

5 posts in this topic

Here are more photographs taken from our off-trail hike today using the new 18-55mm zoom lens.

XT2F1275_lzn.jpg

XT2F1297_lzn.jpg

XT2F1282_lzn.jpg

XT2F1292_lzn.jpg

XT2F1287_lzn.jpg

XT2F1279_lzn.jpg

XT2F1281_lzn.jpg

XT2F1288_lzn.jpg

XT2F1301_lzn.jpg

XT2F1284_lzn.jpg

XT2F1296_lzn.jpg

XT2F1276_lzn.jpg

XT2F1303_lzn.jpg

2 people like this

Merlin you must be well pleased with this new lens! How did you find it’s portability, because it is quite small?

Is it a new lens or s-hand? I haven’t used mine in quite a while since my primes came onto the scene.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Mike G said:

Merlin you must be well pleased with this new lens! How did you find it’s portability, because it is quite small?

Is it a new lens or s-hand? I haven’t used mine in quite a while since my primes came onto the scene.

I was very pleasantly surprised with the IQ.  I got it from KEH, a large buyer and seller of used photographic gear.  It was listed as Like New Minus, which is their top rating, and it seems brand new and never used.  It was 37% less money than a new one.

It was very easy to carry, being both compact and lightweight, certainly comparable to the 23/1.4.  The only downside is that the aperture ring moves very easily, when slung behind my hiking pack, so I have to check the setting in the EVF before taking a shot.

Yes the aperture rings are very easy to nudge and of course it is not marked. I think that loose aperture rings affect virtually every Fujinon lens, which is a shame.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Mike G said:

Yes the aperture rings are very easy to nudge and of course it is not marked. I think that loose aperture rings affect virtually every Fujinon lens, which is a shame.

The same situation exists with my X30, so in a way I am used to checking the aperture setting before taking one, or a series, of photographs.  This seems to be more problematic with the variable aperture zooms.  At least the primes have aperture markings, so it is much easier to check and adjust.

1 person likes this