rbsinto

Arlington West, Santa Monica California

Taken is 2015, while driving south along the Pacific Coastal highway from San Francisco to Los Angeles, we made a stop in Santa Monica and while I was about to walk onto the pier, saw this incredible scene to my right and grabbed this shot.
motorized Nikon FA
Vivitar 17~28 f4.0-4.5 AIS manual focus
Fuji 100 ISO colour slide
likely f22 @ 1/125th

Arlington West-Santa Monica California-1920.jpg

• Like 2

Is that a permanent thing? 

Dallas,

here is a link to the Wikipedia article that explains this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlington_West

It is (or was, as I'm not certain if it is still being done) "erected" every Sunday.

I came across it strictly by accident as we arrived in Santa Monica on a Sunday and while my Wife and some close friends we were travelling with walked along the beach boardwalk, I wandered around by myself looking for photo opportunities and stumbled on it. I deliberately posted it without much explanation, not wanting to cause a Political firestorm, and reasoning that anyone who really wanted to know more would Google the title and learn all they wanted.

Robert

Thanks Robert. 

Good grab rbs

There is this type of monument in Lafayette Ca

It has been installed for about 4-5 years; but the owner of the property has put the property up for sale

Now there is public outcry...

Rags

Thanks Rags.

This one as I understand is (or was) erected every Sunday for the day, with coffins for the soldiers killed that particular week.

Very moving display.

Robert  

I wonder... do these types of memorials serve as a means to honour the fallen or to remind us that we are still so fallen as a people that we have to send our sons and daughters off to die for the causes of men who wouldn't make the same sacrifice themselves? On first viewing I would have to place myself in the latter thought group. In my heart I am deeply cynical in matters of war and military, but in my mind I understand why they occur. 

16 minutes ago, vivionm said:

No politics please!

Interesting. So you are seeing a political stance in what I wrote and not a humanitarian one? 

There's no danger of that while I am at the helm.

The question was an honest one; is it a means of honouring the fallen, or reminding us of the futility and human cost of war, thus reflecting how we remain fallen as humans? I hope that it is the latter. That's what immediately springs to my mind when I survey such a scene. 

As I stated earlier in this thread, I posted this without any comments so I wouldn't be construed as making a political statement, contrary to policy at many photo sites.

Even more surprising to me has been the complete lack of any comments at a number of the six sites where I post my work. Girls with big tits, endless photos of birds in flight, and the like are discussed and commented on to death, but (and please don't misconstrue this as blowing my own horn) a photo that I consider to make a powerful statement is ignored completely.

Again, I'm always amazed at my complete inability to gauge what other photographers will find important or even like.

Robert  

• Like 1

Not ignored. It is seen, but not commented upon.

Robert, the motivations behind photography and the all too often emotional involvement of many people in this field of creativity is continuously perplexing to me.

My primary objective for the new* Fotozones is to build up a community where the discussion is centered around the actual photography and the techniques used, not so much the equipment. It won't be nearly as popular as websites that focus mainly on the gear, but it will hopefully become a valuable community for those photographers who are more interested in the result and the means of obtaining it than the tools used to do so. Sure, tools are important and I will produce content about them, but they shouldn't be the reason for the craft.

Anyway, I hope to engage in more discussion about photos with the participants when I find the time. I have been quite busy with commissioned work and other website projects for clients this year. 

* I will be making an announcement / video about this (hopefully) this month. 

14 hours ago, vivionm said:

Not ignored. It is seen, but not commented upon.

Just curious why that seems to please you so much.

Robert

2 hours ago, rbsinto said:

Just curious why that seems to please you so much.

Robert

Not sure what you mean. You yourself did not comment when you posted the photo.

I like the photo, but any comment I might make would run the risk of generating adverse reactions.

So I have not commented.

On 2/12/2018 at 12:17, rbsinto said:

As I stated earlier in this thread, I posted this without any comments so I wouldn't be construed as making a political statement, contrary to policy at many photo sites.

Even more surprising to me has been the complete lack of any comments at a number of the six sites where I post my work. Girls with big tits, endless photos of birds in flight, and the like are discussed and commented on to death, but (and please don't misconstrue this as blowing my own horn) a photo that I consider to make a powerful statement is ignored completely.

Again, I'm always amazed at my complete inability to gauge what other photographers will find important or even like.

Robert  

Rob, 

I use to get frustrated when I shared an image and then get little to no feedback, today sometimes I like an image and share it, if I get feedback I welcome it if i do not, then accept it too

I really like your street photos and usually they are outstanding

This image with no comments is strange but as a photo it doesn't make me react other than saying, that is strange, my expectation from the title "Arlington" is a wide angle shot of the crosses, but this is taken from a distance that shows the crosses but the details of people on the beach are imperceptible, I guess there was no opportunity to get closer ?

1 hour ago, armando_m said:

Rob, 

I use to get frustrated when I shared an image and then get little to no feedback, today sometimes I like an image and share it, if I get feedback I welcome it if i do not, then accept it too

I really like your street photos and usually they are outstanding

This image with no comments is strange but as a photo it doesn't make me react other than saying, that is strange, my expectation from the title "Arlington" is a wide angle shot of the crosses, but this is taken from a distance that shows the crosses but the details of people on the beach are imperceptible, I guess there was no opportunity to get closer ?

Armando,

My primary focus was the field of crosses, as opposed to the persons around the perimeter, who for the most part were busy going on their way and not paying any attention to the field. Perhaps familiarity breeds contempt. I don't know.

Yes I could have and did get closer. 

I left the entryway to the pier and walked down onto the sand, but didn't find the compositions from there to be as dramatic, and so didn't take any shots.

Robert