waltonksm

Yurak: Eskimo Dancing

20 posts in this topic

Depending on your age, and where you live, using "Eskimo" may or  may not be offensive.  On our river, for local people it is not a big deal.  But in case you want to know, the people here are mostly Yup'ik.  "Dance Season" started last fall, after almost all subsistence activities were halted.  These are more informal photos than I have posted before.  I think I cought more of the mood of the people in these photos.

The Drummers

Yurak:  Dancing at the City Hall

Edited by waltonksm
typos
3 people like this

No flash.  I did try using one for a bit, and I did not like the results (SB-800). I bounced the flash, used two different types of diffuser,  etc. I deleted almost all of the flash photos. These were all taken with a Nikon D500 at ISO 3200.

For most of them I used a cheap, 18-55 AF-P lens.  I first purchased this as a gray market throw-away lens ($100 including shipping.) I liked it so much I bought a second one (for when I finally destroy the first one.) At this price, repairs are irrelevant. I think it far superior to the AF-S version. 

I realize that this rig weighs a lot more than the MFT equipment, but I love the way the camera handles white balance.  The room these were taken in has many fluorescent fixtures.  Over the years, they have had a tremendous variety of bulbs used to replace what was there.  I won't say that every bulb is a different color, but many are.  Often one fixture will have more than one color. Somehow, the D500 is able to handle this with not much trouble.

I have had a HUGE problem when I take photos with the afternoon sun coming in at the same time the lights are on.  The color is terrible.  But as soon as the sun sets, all is good.

Edited by waltonksm
to expand on one answer
2 people like this

2 hours ago, Dallas said:

It's hard to find a person disappointed with the Nikon D500. 

But then, I have not been looking for such people ...

Very nice to see! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the compliments. I am still working on getting better shots, as I still have some reluctance to be out "in front" of everyone.  I think I have made some progress with this. And sometimes it is even fun to be doing these shots.

The camera lens combination worked really well ! Nice set of images

It's amazing how far the 18-55 lens has progressed, I still have the kit lens that came with my D40, and beside being really light it is not really  good in any other aspect. 

I had read it (the AF-P version)  was a very sharp lens.  It also was cheap.  I bought BEFORE the US release from a dealer in Hong Kong. It is a really sharp lens.  I have used it for close-up shots, too. 

I did not really believe the review until I used the lens.  I put it on and took off the 24-70 lens.  I had been using.  Wider was better, anyway.  And at ISO 3200, I had enough speed that I could get some depth of field.not worry about  f2.8.

9 hours ago, vivionm said:

But then, I have not been looking for such people ...

It is not necessary to look for people who criticise a camera.  Every photographic website has lots of complaints about cameras.

As a Fuji user who has used the D500, I have to say that it is a stunningly good camera.

1 person likes this

I bought a D7200 (for significant other) just before the D7500 came out. It is nowhere even close to handling white balance like the D500. I have not used a 7500 yet, but read it is the same "engine" as the DF500. 

And Armando, thanks for the complement. Even as good as it works, I still have to overcome my mental block against using this lens: entry level, no metal on the mount, cheap, all plastic 18-55.  I do not make as much use of it as I should. It is just about perfect for our small "City Hall." Our next big events will be in the school gym.  Very high ceilings, very high ceilings, and high pressure sodium lighting. I know the D7200 DOES NOT do a very good job with auto white balance in that environment. The D500 is still much better, with less noise at high ISO, and on auto white balance. 

Here is another one that does not quite work.  I need a bit more depth of field.

Nice images here WaltonKSM - thanks for letting us see how present day Eskimo people embrace their culture.

Good that the D500 is working well for you - Nikon certainly need to achieve commercial success with their present product sets, given that the company as a whole are still going through commercial difficulties.

I have managed to hit the wrong key TWICE.  Each time I destroyed a lengthy response (lengthy in terms of time it took to write.) Perhaps that is a sign that I should not respond.

First:  I think Nikon needs much more that the current product line to recover from their loss of market share. But I do find the D500 to be a remarkable camera. Especially when I compare this to the D80 I bought to begin my digital experience.

Embracing culture:  This has been a relatively recent trend.  Dancing and other cultural things are really being encouraged now. They were discouraged in the past.  Our local school has organized moose hunting, seal hunting, and other culturally relevant activities as part of the standard curriculum. Much of the revival of dancing originated from this community starting in the mid 1980's. I was only on the periphery of this effort. I gave some technical support to those more heavily involved (providing event space and helping with scheduling.)

Thank you for taking the time to look.

1 person likes this

Well I am glad that you overcame your wrong key issue and shared with us the description of the cultural initiatives at your local school.  I hope that these will bear fruit in the years ahead.  The preservation of these cultural traditions is especially important for those races whose history is oral in nature, such our Australian aboriginal peoples and other country's aboriginal and native peoples.

1 person likes this

Very nice set of images; my favorite is the closeup portrait of the smiling young girl

Rags

Thank you Rags. She is one of the children that I have gotten to know a bit better than most.  She likes to have her picture taken.

Interesting shots. I like the close ups of their faces the best, but they're all informative and educational. 

Thank you . I never bothered with taking many photos when I lived here in the early 90's. I am trying to document every aspect of living here.  I am a bit weak on hunting and fishing, especially the subsistence aspect of fishing.  If I make it to Spring, I intend to do a better job this year.... At least that is my usual claim.  Maybe I will do it this year. 

If you are interested, my photos for the past two years (and a lot more) are at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/waltonksm/