Dallas

The Brief Brief

3 posts in this topic

"We'd like you to take a few photos of the artist with her work for an exhibition she's putting on." 

That's it. That's all I got from the publicist. The artist in question also happens to be a client of mine who's work I have photographed for use online. The original idea was for her to come to my studio so that while I was photographing her most recent pieces for this exhibition I could also squeeze in a few shots of her with the work. I knew that wouldn't work at all for two reasons, firstly my studio is a photography studio and there is no context between it and the art works. Secondly I couldn't think of anything creative to do here that could even remotely incorporate both the works and the artist. 

So, plan B was to do the shoot at her studio which conveniently happens to be about 3km from my house. Add to that the fact that her studio is a much kinder place to shoot as it has been designed with a skylight smack bang in the centre giving the room some wonderful natural light. It didn't help that it was an overcast day, but I had a plan for that in the form of a couple of speedlights. 

I placed Bernice on one corner of the table and used a wide angle to give some prominence to the drawings in the foreground. The test shot without her looked like this. 

P1100003.jpg

With the two speedlights firing into the ceiling it got much nicer with soft light. I also had her turn on her studio overhead lighting which contains daylight balanced tubes. This is what we got. 

P1100012.jpg

She was a little small in this shot so we tried something else from the same position.

P1100015.jpg

And then for good measure from a different angle with the French doors to the outside garden opened. 

P1100025.jpg

Everybody was happy with the results. 

3 people like this

Thanks Armando. The smaller drawings are quite interesting as they bleed through the paper so they are kind of reversal figures too. They are being mounted in Perspex so that they can be viewed from both sides.