Dallas

Joe Edelman switches to Olympus

9 posts in this topic

I recently discovered this guy on YouTube and he makes pretty excellent videos about how do do various things in the studio. His getup is a bit oddball from time to time, but once you watch the content he makes you'll get past that and sink your teeth into the meat of what he presents. 

So his most recent video is all about his switch to Olympus from Nikon. After watching this I find myself smiling and asking, "what's taken these guys so long?". :D 

I wonder what Fuji u4/3s camera he’s talking about?

The old saying of “none so pure as the purified “ springs to mind!

Surely the manager of this site, which professes to welcome fans of all camera brands, should not express satisfaction when someone switches from one brand to the one the manager personally favours?

Vivion, you being very hard on Dallas, unjustly so in my eyes.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Mike G said:

I wonder what Fuji u4/3s camera he’s talking about?

I also found that a bit curious, Mike. As far as I know they don't make any, so it's probably just an error on his side.

Interestingly, he uses almost exactly the same reasoning for switching that I did in a presentation I gave to a few camera clubs when I was an Olympus ambassador a few years back. At one point during the video I wondered if he had somehow seen my presentation. :) 

Hey gang!  Thanks for the chatter about my latest video.  Greatly appreciated.

Actually I didn't say that Fuji makes / made a 4/3 camera.  I said they are part of the consortium - which they are:  http://www.four-thirds.org/en/contact/group.html

Sorry if I gave the impression that they had 4/3 gear on the market.

2 people like this

Thanks Joe, all us Fuji users will forgive you. Just because we only sacrifice Olympus users on Fridays. :D

1 person likes this

What I'm hoping for is the appearance of different cameras using the 50 (& later 100 MP) sensors as used in the  "small medium format" Fuji GFX and Hasselblad X1D in a mirrorless format, which will bring the price down to below what current top-shelf 135 DSLRs are now charging. Most probably Sony will be next into medium format - for sure Sony didn't develop that sensor just for the waning and overpriced DSLR medium format market (the "incentives" Hasselblad are giving now for people to continue to purchase H6D cameras are indeed interesting to behold), and a couple of newcomer mirrorless medium format cameras of unproven sale-ability.

Hopefully that will also once and for all also break the nexus of 36x24 size sensors being some sort of set-in-stone baseline and we can all move on from the sniping and pettiness that emanated from the entrenched belief that DSLR was the ultimate expression of digital perfection, even if it comes saddled with a design incorporating the completely redundant principles of keeping a frame of film in total darkness until the actual moment of exposure.

As 50MP becomes the baseline for larger sensor cameras, with 100MP and 200MP feasible as soon as processor speed and capacity catches up, 135 will increasingly find itself in a no-man's land between practical and cheap small format mirrorless cameras and practical, well-priced medium format mirrorless cameras, without the limitations of trying to be a comparatively expensive camera struggling to fulfil all roles (and "expensive" will always be their Achilles heel - manufacturing and calibrating mirrorboxes, separate focus sensors and separate prism/groundglass/eyepieces will always be a costly thing to make and assemble).

As usual for that company, I think Fujifilm was pre-emptive in seeing this as the end game when they took the plunge and introduced the X-series in 2011. Their success against future competition yet to appear will hinge on just how much they're prepared to reduce the price of the GFX in the long run - if they can sell the 50MP base model at around double the price of their XF cameras and lenses, they'll definitely be on track to set a new "normal" trend in professional camera use.

As to how long cameras as such remain a viable thing to be producing at all, well that's a whole other argument.