rbsinto

Smoke break at St. Mike's-2

9 posts in this topic

This was taken the other day across the street from the St. Michael's Hospital here in Toronto.
I was waiting for my wife to return from shopping when I spotted a man across the street standing inside an entrance bay having a cigarette. He was obviously a patient, and despite being hooked up to an IV line, he braved the cold to indulge his habit.
Sensing the irony of the situation, I grabbed this shot.
Nikon D3
Tamron SP 35~105 2.8 AIS manual focus
2.8 @ 1/160th/ ISO 1,000

Smokebreak at St. Mike's-2-1920.jpg

3 people like this

That's a great catch, Robert. Smoking seems to be making a comeback around these parts. I see a lot of youth picking up the habit, which is really sad. I blame cable TV shows where everybody seems to be smoking. 

Thanks, Dallas,

For various family-related reasons, I've not been out on the streets in a bit, so getting out and taking this shot the other day was especially satisfying for me.

As for the resurgence of smoking, especially among young people I can only attribute it to the Foolishness of Youth. And I say that as a recovering Smokaholic who began at age fifteen and now at age 69 has been smoke-free and clean since 1990. It's just so much easier to not smoke, than to become addicted and fight to quit. 

Robert

1 person likes this

It's funny, I only started smoking when I was drafted into the army at age 20. I quit on NYE 1995/96 and haven't touched one since. Yet I still have dreams where I am smoking. It's the weirdest thing. I'll be having a cigarette thinking to myself, "when did I start smoking again?". 

I started watching MadMen on Netflix recently and seeing people smoking wherever they feel like it was quite jarring! On the bus, in elevators, etc. Yet we all did those things as smokers. My wife still smokes, but she is banished to outside the house. Wish she'd quit. Both my parents would probably still be alive if they hadn't been such heavy smokers.

1972, smoking on an early 747 on the flight from Athens to London, smoking in the theatre in Soho watching "A Clockwork Orange" through a veritable forest fire of smoke rising from the seats in front, positioning myself with a lit pipe in the smoking carriage of the train into university each morning, smoking during lectures.... yes, smokers had free reign back then. I quit in April 1979, started again for a year in 1984-5, quit, then lapsed for another year in 1988-9. Haven't smoked anything since then.

1 person likes this

Geez, yeah, I recall there was smoking in cinemas too although that was outlawed here sometime in the 80's because when I started smoking that was one place where you couldn't smoke. I think it was because theatres were always burning down. 

Great grab rbs,the irony is is resounding...

I like the others here was a chain smoker (3 packs of Lucky Strike/day)

Quit hundreds of times until I got the Hong Flu at 30, knocked me out for two weeks and never picked up a cigarette again almost 50 yrs ago

Funny thing, I still salivate when among/near smokers

There is a small resurgence in the US (but socially abhorrent), I'm guessing it might be related to the legalization of pot here

Rags

Rags, while I have those dreams of having taken it up again, I have had zero cravings for it at all. In fact the smell of cigarette smoke actually makes me feel ill. 

I started smoking at age 15 approx 1961, finally managed to quit in 2006 after trying dozens of times. Being around smokers doesn’t really bother me now. E smoking devices are getting really big here, but you have to put up with people wreathed in a veritable cloud of steam or whatever it is that comes out of those things.

Not smoking now pays for my holidays, which is good.

P.S. Over here smoking tobacco seems to be mainly done by young females of the species.

Edited by Mike G
1 person likes this