Alan7140

New Magpie

7 posts in this topic

I've had a family of magpies nesting in a pine tree continuously ever since I moved here 23 years ago. I guess that as I am familiar and classed as not a threat to them as a result they never swoop on me during nesting season, something Australian magpies are notorious for.

Today the reason for recent weeks having much traffic to and from the nest made what apparently must have been a less-than-graceful descent to ground given the dishevelled state of its wing feathers, but the chick has survived the day despite being earthbound (apparently normal for magpie chicks until they learn to fly after a few days):

DzAhQ0f.jpg

all the while under the watchful eyes of the parents alternating watch shifts in the oak tree:

P5ev3db.jpg

Edited by Alan7140
4 people like this

A magpie has just appeared in my garden.  It has already driven off a pigeon.  I will try to get some shots, if it decides that it is worth staying here.

7 hours ago, DFZ said:

Do these magpies also steal shiny things?

No, never noticed anything like that with this lot. Their main trait seems to be fiercely territorial - if they don't like an interloper (there's a butcher bird that seems a favourite target here) they will see it off with no quarter given. There are three adults at present in the magpie family, and to watch the coordinated attack aerobatics they employ is something to behold indeed. I guess they regard me as being part of their territory, taking absolutely no notice of me even though at times I was only a few metres away from their chick.

Australian magpies are also a lot more tuneful than their European namesakes.

Nice shots Alan! We do not have very many here in Ohio.

The chick is surviving and growing now, it's starting to roam further and is getting harder to track down, even though it's still some time away from proper flight, I'd guess.

On day 2 I found it easily, perched on a hose, already showing a typical magpie attitude of "don't mess with me":

wF3ebhu.jpg

iBqdfZu.jpg

and later it was perched on a fence post having climbed up the strainer pole, where mother flew in and coaxed it into getting some wind under its wings - before then I had passed the nondescript bundle of feathers without even noticing it on a post while I was scanning the ground:

ggsSqkN.jpg  m1bAjbB.jpg

h2ZPbqo.jpg  ZcO1NZq.jpg

ywUOWu3.jpg  Lkae9tc.jpg

and the mother took off to get more food for the little blob of feathers left on the post :)

QyJXveG.jpg

Day three was hot, and I finally spotted it having buried itself neck-deep in a mixture of straw, mud and cattle dung to keep cool

EDOYZeZ.jpg

Edited by Alan7140
2 people like this