Luc de Schepper

Let's Print!

15 posts in this topic

Tonight I ordered a 100x70cm / 40x28inch print on forex of the image below. The printing firm can handle AdobeRGB files which I chose here to preserve the bold colors.

It's an image of the interior of the Food Market in Rotterdam. A city well known in Holland for its daring, modern (interior) architecture.

The wall presented in this image is about 30-40meter wide. The windows are of the apartments built in the outer shell of the building.

The image will be hung at the staircase to our attic which at the moment is rather bland. I'm sure that blandness will be pretty colourful in a week or so :)

24080263198_22ee167c25_o.jpg

Until last year I only had some 10x15cm / 4x6inch prints in a frame. Since then I've had several large prints made which are on display in the house.

Almost a pity our house has lots of glass on the ground floor and sloping walls on the upper levels ;)

Anyway, imo it's true,"an image really comes alive on a print". No display can compete with a good print.

Feel free to share your experience and stories on prints of your images!

Edited by Luc de Schepper
2 people like this

I'm sure this will be most impressive when hung - it is certainly colourful enough to instantly grab attention!

The largest print I ever had done was for my gallery to make a statement on the back wall, as well as demonstrate what sort of detail a multi-row panorama with each component photograph also focused-stacked could retain. The final print is around 97"x 42" (246 x 106cm). Although printed on canvas and displayed mounted on a stretcher, (framing such a monster printed on paper and under glass was simply not feasible from both cost or weight reasons), the degree of detail is truly stunning, out-resolving what any human could actually see from that vantage point in real life (the secondary fingers on the fern fronds are clearly discernible on the other side of the river). The end photograph, taken in 2012, comprised 615 individual frames and roughly 220° x 150° angle of view, took a half an hour to expose using a D3s with 50mm f/1.8 lens. I've posted it here before, but maybe it's time for a re-run... :) 

qrMgrkr.jpg

I haven't repeated the exercise to this extent with more up-to-date gear, although remembering what a pain it was to focus, mirror-up, wait for vibrations to settle, take shot, shift focus (largely guessing with the small size of the image in the optical viewfinder), mirror up etc etc 615 times, all the while trying to keep mental track of exactly where I was in the progression, I'm pretty sure I could repeat the exercise in roughly half the time with the X-T2 with far less chance of any frames being compromised through shake (several of the stack frames had to be omitted for that reason in this shot). Technology has certainly come a long way in the intervening 5.5 years.

3 people like this

Great story Alan, that print surely must have been an eye-catcher! Thanks for your contribution to this topic.

1 person likes this

I haven't got round to printing anything large yet - I do have an occasional print at 8x10(or 12) - but I did get a couple of photo books done with pictures of the kids to give to there grandparents.  Having a physical copy is so much nicer!  I must get round to getting another copy maid for myself.

Edited by crowecg
1 person likes this

My standard largest print is A3+.

I completed the set-up today. The print is lighted by an Ikea Hektar spot light which can be switched on and off one level lower with a remote sender (the receiver with the green status led is visible in the image).

Fisheye image de-fished and straightened

27038269249_cbcdc21e47_b.jpg

And normal

27038268799_e01ef85895_b.jpg

Edited by Luc de Schepper
1 person likes this

It's probably the German blood in me, but that unbalanced placement on the wall would drive me crazy :D (wait, I'm already crazy :crazy:). 

1 person likes this

Haha, that’s indeed a very Teutonic approach Dallas! Anyway the off-center placement was a wish by my wife. I conceded as I know from experience it’s best to disagree on more important matters if you know what I mean 😉

3 people like this

Ah the two words that mean a happy marriage “ yes dear”. :D

1 person likes this

As a happy divorcee, such compromises are lost on me.

For me a sense of order in things also seems to be inbred, but I'm also soon to find out whether my Teutonic upbringing by adoptive parents is just a result of conditioning or is genetically implanted, as I recently decided to have my DNA cross-matched properly and am awaiting the results as to my natural ancestry.... :D 

3 people like this

On 12/4/2017 at 21:01, Luc de Schepper said:

Haha, that’s indeed a very Teutonic approach Dallas! Anyway the off-center placement was a wish by my wife. I conceded as I know from experience it’s best to disagree on more important matters if you know what I mean 😉

Luc, I concur with your wife's placement of the print ... not obvious but the print location is very well balanced.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Luc, I concur with your wife's placement of the print ... not obvious but the print location is very well balanced.

Thanks Larry, one thing I've learnt from my wife symmetry is not always the ideal to strive for. As in this case, non-symmetry equals balance :)

1 person likes this

On 04/12/2017 at 15:01, Luc de Schepper said:

Haha, that’s indeed a very Teutonic approach Dallas! 

I literally will move furniture to balance with the few items I have on my walls! That image @fredazinger printed for me of the Dead Vlei I moved to our other lounge and the hanging point was slightly askew with the rest of the room. I moved everything 15cm to the East to balance it all out! :D 

Live life by the Golden Ratio and all will be harmonious. 1.618:1

The Fibonacci Spiral in describing the golden ratio:

1000px-Fibonacci_spiral_34.svg.png

1 person likes this