mcasan

Once more, with feeling....

Nikon is officially making a new “serious” mirrorless system

As you probably know the Nikon 1 mirrorless system didn’t have that huge success as expected by Nikon. But it seems like Nikon learned the lesson and we will now get a completely new mirrorless system camera with Full Frame sensor. Nikon told at Dpreview:

“While details are confidential, we can say that we are currently developing new mirrorless products that build upon Nikon’s strengths, and offer the performance prospective customers expect, including the ultimate optics performance, image-processing technologies, strength and durability, and operation.”

I am pretty certain this will be a Full Frame system which means it’s not necessarly a direct competitor of the MFT system.

http://www.43rumors.com/nikon-is-officially-making-a-new-serious-mirrorless-system/

Olympus OM-D EM-1 II, 60mm Macro, 7-14mm Pro, 12-40mm Pro, 40-150mm Pro, 300mm Pro

Finally they wake up. But I wonder why they have to use 35mm as their base? They won't win new fans on the video side with that. We shall watch development with interest. 

2 hours ago, DFZ said:

Finally they wake up. But I wonder why they have to use 35mm as their base? They won't win new fans on the video side with that. We shall watch development with interest. 

Assuming that this time the Nikon mirrorless camera is a serious professional tool, and given their initial con-job in swearing black and blue that the DX sensor in their first pro digital bodies was the future that they'd be taking (D1, D2x), then switching without warning to the 135 frame D3 and subsequent pro cameras, I doubt very much that Nikon would even consider anything other than 135 for a pro mirrorless, no matter what anybody says. It will also sit better with their future partner should the mooted merger between Fuji and Nikon take place, without either partner stepping one each other's product lines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan7140 said:

Assuming that this time the Nikon mirrorless camera is a serious professional tool, and given their initial con-job in swearing black and blue that the DX sensor in their first pro digital bodies was the future that they'd be taking (D1, D2x), then switching without warning to the 135 frame D3 and subsequent pro cameras, I doubt very much that Nikon would even consider anything other than 135 for a pro mirrorless, no matter what anybody says. It will also sit better with their future partner should the mooted merger between Fuji and Nikon take place, without either partner stepping one each other's product lines.

Exactly. It would also be stupid to do a smaller sensor than Sony uses in the A series. They can always  trickle down later in sensor size to cover the low-cost consumer segment.

What about larger, not smaller? Fujifilm just brought out a new mount for medium format. Nikon needs to shift their thinking because their market is getting smaller and smaller with every new technological advance coming out. 

Fujifilm did that in order not to compete with Nikon, Canon and Sony on the much cheaper to produce 24x36 sensor cameras.

The local store has a Fujifilm GFX system on display, I was really shocked to see the size of those lenses.  Especially lenses need to get smaller, not bigger.

It depends entirely on the market you are trying to sell into, I suppose. So if Nikon make an FX mirrorless camera the market is going to be their existing customer base. That market is getting smaller, year by year. As a company they have got to embrace newer ideas and get themselves into newer tech. Leica are involved with Huawei cellphones. Nikon should be actively honing in on the serious camera phone user market. That's where the future lies, not in 35mm camera systems. 

1 hour ago, DFZ said:

It depends entirely on the market you are trying to sell into, I suppose. So if Nikon make an FX mirrorless camera the market is going to be their existing customer base. That market is getting smaller, year by year. As a company they have got to embrace newer ideas and get themselves into newer tech. Leica are involved with Huawei cellphones. Nikon should be actively honing in on the serious camera phone user market. That's where the future lies, not in 35mm camera systems. 

Dallas, with Nikon (and Canon) entering the high-performance FX mirrorless market, replacing FX DSLR's, one would expect that market to grow significantly for at least a few years...

4 hours ago, DFZ said:

serious camera phone user

interesting definition

Recently I shot an event at work with crappy office light, of course every other person on the event was shooting with their mobile, many with the latest technology, in the hundreds of images shared shot with a mobile I have not seen any image that comes close to decent 

I do hope the rumors about a nikon fx mirrorless are true, and if what is offered convinces me to buy one , I'll wait a while for the bugs to show and to be fixed

in the mean time my D800 continues to be more than enough for what I do 

Regards,

Armando

11 hours ago, DFZ said:

Short-term, maybe. Medium- to long-term I still say that it'll be Virtual Reality. There's already a burgeoning user-base for professionally shot VR. Last week I spoke to a client who uses one such VR-shot sequence on Internet hook-up with others in his cycling club to train on his bicycle. With his bike and the others all on static rollers hooked into the system, they ride as if in a normal bunch through actual scenery, all viewed with VR headsets. CGI added graphics consistent with the rate of the rollers (with hills and descents enacted properly through variable resistance in the rollers) are added to place the other riders where they would be if it were real life, so much so that he said it was as if you could reach over and touch the rider next to you.

Already my last job shooting for an accommodation website had come initially with an enquiry about shooting the project in VR, so once the hurdle of the awkward VR goggles of today gets sorted to portable-device compatibility, consumption of imagery will increasingly be for VR-shot product.

This is why I'm going "retro" with my photography - I've given up on keeping up with current trends and will now retire to using my existing gear for my own pleasure and offering darkroom tuition. That's where my future lies, the techno crowd are welcome to their gizmo-driven future. Whatever happens to Nikon, Fuji, Olympus, Sony and the rest in stills photography is out of my interest now other than being just idle curiosity. I have my forever camera systems now, provided they don't break down, of course.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Alan7140 said:

This is why I'm going "retro" with my photography - I've given up on keeping up with current trends and will now retire to using my existing gear for my own pleasure and offering darkroom tuition. That's where my future lies, the techno crowd are welcome to their gizmo-driven future. Whatever happens to Nikon, Fuji, Olympus, Sony and the rest in stills photography is out of my interest now past being just idle curiosity. I have my forever camera systems now, provided they don't break down, of course.

I completely agree!  Athough the X-T2, if the money was available, would be a probable purchase.

And if by some very remote happenstance I became interested in photographing fast-moving objects, I might consider some new gear.  But I am content to work at improving my skills.  The gear I have is no impediment to that!

Along similar lines, I was recently "talked into" upgrading my very old cellphone to one of the so-called smartphone models.  I have yet to use it for anything other than making calls, however, and certainly not surfing the web, or taking and uploading photographs!

Fuji X-T2 (2), 16/1.4, 23/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 18-55; X30

http://merlinemrysphoto.com

blog.evening-sun.com

Armando, image quality to a photographer and a casual camera user are seen differently. The point I am making is that Nikon's business is shrinking and unless they address that problem no amount of mirrorless camera developments are going to help them survive long into the future. In business you need to fish where the fish are and in photography terms the fish are all using cellphones. Where is Nikon in that great big ocean? They are still game fishing for their food with giant chunks of bait while all around them swim billions of small fish who will never fit their mouths around those giant hooks, but who will upgrade their camera phones every year. Ignoring that market is not smart. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2017 at 22:24, DFZ said:

Ignoring that market is not smart. 

agree 100%

and I guess we see the trends and nikon stays put on their direction

I also agree with Alan and his comments on Virtual Reality

Regards,

Armando

I have not experienced VR but I don't believe it will catch on. 3D television has perished because it is simply inconvenient to experience it on a consumer level. Same thing applies to VR. Remember, this tech has been around since the 90's and hasn't really found a way of being able to be useful unless you stick your head behind goggles. 

1 hour ago, DFZ said:

I have not experienced VR but I don't believe it will catch on. 3D television has perished because it is simply inconvenient to experience it on a consumer level. Same thing applies to VR. Remember, this tech has been around since the 90's and hasn't really found a way of being able to be useful unless you stick your head behind goggles. 

OTOH, VR can offer a far more enjoyable experience than what we are living through now in the U.S.!!!!  ;)

blog.evening-sun.com

On 7/23/2017 at 18:13, merlin said:

OTOH, VR can offer a far more enjoyable experience than what we are living through now in the U.S.!!!!  ;)

Merlin, hold tight, things certainly do not go unnoticed over here in Europe :) (picture taken in Cabo de Sao Vincente, Algarve, Portugal, the most western point in mainland Europe).

Bratwurst_Amerika.jpg

Edited by Noct
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, DFZ said:

I'm referring more to the way professional photography will drift. It is already clear that real estate is champing at the bit to be able to sell properties via VR "tours" rather than inspections for greater market accessibility, convenience and ultimate cost saving. The so-called VR tours currently available on web sites give but a glimpse into what the real thing will be like when viewed in real 3D as you navigate in and around the space by moving or turning your head. The same will filter through to general advertising, and once the VR viewing devices become no more of a hassle than simply putting on a pair of glasses the whole thing will escalate.

3D TV is a completely different kettle of fish - it's not really 3D but simply stereo vision of something displayed at a fixed point (it makes no difference where you move, the image remains at a set position - you can't look behind something in the foreground, for instance). VR allows you to navigate around within the recorded space, look behind, above or wherever. It's almost as effective as a hologram, but has the advantage of being technically practical, portable and far cheaper.

Even today the 360 tours are really something 

Making a quality 360 images is not that simple, also the results I have seen using the 360 ready cameras is like using a cell phone , ok but crappy with difficult light conditions, so a DSLR is needed and a careful panorama needs to be taken

Regards,

Armando

8 hours ago, Noct said:

Merlin, hold tight, things certainly do not go unnoticed over here in Europe :) (picture taken in Cabo de Sao Vincente, Algarve, Portugal, the most western point in Europe).

Thanks, Noct!  ROTFL...

blog.evening-sun.com

I have just returned home form a holiday cruise with 92 other passengers, amongst those passengers there only two people with what  I shall call proper cameras, Fuji X-T2(me) and a chap with a Canon 7D, nearly everybody else used either an mobile phone or tablet device, and a few point and shoot camera, the preponderance seemed to be for smart phones!

iPad.jpg

Den with his Canon 7D, this bloke took something like 3000 pictures in eight days!

Den.jpg

X-T2 + 56mm f1.2

Edited by Mike G
  • Like 2

Mike Gorman

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70, 35, 85, FTZ adapter 

Lumix G9 , GX8 - Panasonic 15, 20, 25, - 8-18, 12-35, 12-60, 35-100

3000 is about the daily average for folks coming in safari with me! :D 

I just got my new camera on the weekend. It's an iPhone 7 Plus. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DFZ said:

They gave you a good deal on the Olympus?? :crazy:

On 21/07/2017 at 20:05, armando_m said:

interesting definition

Recently I shot an event at work with crappy office light, of course every other person on the event was shooting with their mobile, many with the latest technology, in the hundreds of images shared shot with a mobile I have not seen any image that comes close to decent 

I do hope the rumors about a nikon fx mirrorless are true, and if what is offered convinces me to buy one , I'll wait a while for the bugs to show and to be fixed

in the mean time my D800 continues to be more than enough for what I do 

Hi Armando,

shoot any meaningful event for someone on a mobile phone, then when they decide they would like a decent sized "special" print making that is the time to panic. Mobile phones have a massive way to go before they can produce results approaching what's obtainable from a DSLR(whether full frame, OMD, XT1 sized sensors).

Just had this printed for a client, had it been captured with any mobile phone it would not have been possible at the size they requested.

_DSC3858.jpg

Edited by wildoat

On 24/07/2017 at 08:22, DFZ said:

3000 is about the daily average for folks coming in safari with me! :D 

I'm guessing your Iphone camera will be used for social media, for this they are great, for traditional photography uses, largish prints/displays they are seriously lacking. I have to agree for social media and web based applications they have their uses.

cheers

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.