GB111

desert

Taken on a very warm day in the S California desert.

HDR to deal with the mid day sun; does it work?

DSC_4630_1_2_3_4_tonemapped_1800.jpg

• Like 4

I love it! Really like the colour tones too. Good job. If I can offer one criticism it would be to make the left side a bit more symmetrical to the right (sorry, it's my Germanic ancestry). 

2 hours ago, DFZ said:

I love it! Really like the colour tones too. Good job. If I can offer one criticism it would be to make the left side a bit more symmetrical to the right (sorry, it's my Germanic ancestry). 

I'm going to get a DNA decode done - I allegedly also have Germanic ancestry, but I far prefer things to be off centre than straight down the middle... ;) Rule of Thirds and Golden Mean appear to rule my compositional sub-conscious.

That said (and acknowledging that composition is entirely a personal preference thing), I think the processing here is absolutely spot on - I love the pastel colours.

It's only with straight lines that I like symmetry. Generally I also usually compose on thirds. 

This has to be seen large, amazing details , very pleasant colors 

Thanks fellows. I'm surprised by the response, as I've been out there in the desert so many times .. it seems natural to me now.

One thing I like in photography is both free form and structure in the same shot. The railroad tracks provide the man-made structure.  But it's always a question as to how to compose!  Rule of thirds, golden ratio, centered, symmetric, ............ I'm running out of options. :o

If you look close you can see windmills in the background, BTW ... 

GB

Ann - Thanks, I did see that leaning, but am still torn on whether to fix it. It does look wrong as is, but ... I only have limited appetite for 'cheating' :D  (and post processing is all that). 

I am just learning Lightroom BTW. I've avoided it for years because I already use multiple programs, like PS, PhotoMatix, Portrait Professional, Corel PhotoPaint, Nik, etc. Adding another seemed like overload, but I think I will give this specific task a try. Good way to get my feet a little wetter

G

Please don't start another argument about Lr vs Ps, Ann.

Ha!  Ann, you are actually the first person I've ever heard who didn't rave about LR.  I actually stayed away from it because of all the hype, if that makes any sense.  I was also confused by its Catalog.. it seems unnecessary.

Yeah, it all depends on the objective of the PP.  If it's a creative endeavor, I have no problems with it. Perceptions change for sure.

Gb

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GB111 said:

Ha!  Ann, you are actually the first person I've ever heard who didn't rave about LR.  I actually stayed away from it because of all the hype, if that makes any sense.  I was also confused by its Catalog.. it seems unnecessary.

Yeah, it all depends on the objective of the PP.  If it's a creative endeavor, I have no problems with it. Perceptions change for sure.

Gb

I can't remember me having anything to rave about with LR, either, ;):D .... although using Fuji and Sigma cameras mean that Adobe software in general is pretty much useless to me aside from occasional retouching of files processed by other software, and for the printing of finished files.  

Good shot, I like the look.  I admit to never having given HDR a thought as a way to render the limited color palette the SoCal desert presents.  A good lesson that less color might be better than more. Is this scene in San Diego county?

Edited by pluton

Alan, why does your use of Fuji and Sigma cameras mean that you can't use Adobe software?  Something about the color space?

Keith, it is at Ocotillo CA, which I think is technically SD county. Shot about 3pm in summer, a lot of contrast. You have a chance if you do an HDR, but otherwise the images are gar-bage!  Not really much color out there anyway, but the sky definitely looks a bit different w/ HDR ... better for sure.  I would encourage you to give HDR a try. Use Photomatix vs PS btw.

8 hours ago, GB111 said:

Alan, why does your use of Fuji and Sigma cameras mean that you can't use Adobe software?  Something about the color space?

I cannot talk about Sigma, but Adobe is not good at demosaicing Fuji files.  This has been extensively discussed on the internet.  Some people do not observe a difference.  Others do.  Iridient has been very successful with its demosaicing program.

My personal observation is that Photo Ninja and ON1 Photo Raw do a much better job on Fuji files than LR/ACR.

Mark me down as someone who is not impressed withLR/ACR.

8 hours ago, GB111 said:

What Anthony said. I was unfortunate enough to have bought a Fuji X-Pro1 right at the beginning in 2012, and ran into the Adobe failed demosaic in its original iteration, which was simply woeful. Since then Adobe have only fiddled at the edges with the original algorithm instead of doing the ground-up rewrite that is necessary.

At present Iridient's X-Transformer is the only practical way to get a DNG demosaic into ACR/Lr in order to use ACR's sliders and modifiers, but that really is an extra pfaffing-around extra step and you end up with a considerably larger DNG file as your "raw" with xmp side-car file than if you just use a straightforward raw processor that offers user-controllable modifiers and saves directly to tiff.

Also, any processor that uses dcraw as its basic demosaic algorithm will do a much superior job with processing X-Trans files than the mush that ACR/Lr produces.

At present I'm happy with Photo Ninja (although its promised V.2.0 is now two years past its announcement date, so one would have to suspect that PN isn't long for this earth), X-Transformer, Affinity Photo and the slightly less user friendly (but free) LightZone as being extremely competent  in dealing with Fuji X-Trans files on the Windows platform. Apparently Iridient is in beta with Windows full version of its raw processor, which will no doubt be well-received.

As for Sigma - there have been suggestions that Affinity Photo will handle /is working on X3f files for the Quattro sensor, but my copy of Affinity won't even see the SDQ-H files, let alone process them. Maybe affinity will be the first successful third-party processor for the Foveon, but more likely they'll also give up an leave us battling with Sigma Photo Pro and its unwieldy, slow and under-featured processor.