Alan7140

Old lens & conifer

4 posts in this topic

A sprig of ground-cover conifer photographed as a 21-stack using my newly arrived 1980 Industar 61L/Z 2.8/50 macro lens ($55) on a Sigma SD Quattro-H, starting at highest magnification of 1:1.25;

C5DH5wk.jpg

3 people like this

I really like what you are showing us out of this Sigma, Alan. 

1 person likes this

Stacking is a subject I know absolutely nothing about! I see a few examples of stacking(Michael Earlwein springs to mind)

Is the purpose of to get Dynamic Range or more sharpness? I assume there is quite a bit of extra processing involved?

PS Apologies to Michael if I have spelt his name wrongly!

1 hour ago, Mike G said:

Stacking is a subject I know absolutely nothing about! I see a few examples of stacking(Michael Earlwein springs to mind)

Is the purpose of to get Dynamic Range or more sharpness? I assume there is quite a bit of extra processing involved?

PS Apologies to Michael if I have spelt his name wrongly!

To get greater depth of focus, Mike, and also to control how much is in focus and what is kept out of focus in the background. Shooting at wide apertures needs more shots for the stack, but enables the background to be thrown far more out of focus in a controlled way than is possible in a single shot.

If you get it right and aren't too ambitious with the depth of focus you're trying to achieve, the processing cane be relatively simple - Zerene Stacker does a good job in auto mode when given well shot stacks to work with. Getting complex can lead to a fair bit of retouching, though.

Michael has refined the process to a fine art, and has been relentless in his pursuit of perfection.

2 people like this