Dallas

The 5 Year Mirrorless Affair

Dallas, thank you for the link.  I remember the article.  The high-ISO setting of E-M1 seems to be of no problem under certain situation and the proper shooting/processing technique.

Not to compete, but here is some results from the live show I shot several days ago.  I hope you don't mind linking a thread from NikonGear.  ;)

All images were shot with 50/1.8G lens on D750 set at ISO6400.  The hIghlight weighting spot metering mode was used.

http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,6226.0.html

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

I am a Nikon user curious about the Olympus system.  One thing though Dallas and some others mention a 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 . Is this now a discontinued item or made by someone other than Olympus. Cuz I cannot find it under the Olympus listings.  Also what other long  zoom lens is available?

5 hours ago, vkumar said:

I am a Nikon user curious about the Olympus system.  One thing though Dallas and some others mention a 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 . Is this now a discontinued item or made by someone other than Olympus. Cuz I cannot find it under the Olympus listings.  Also what other long  zoom lens is available?

Yes, that lens is part of the discontinued 4/3 system, but you should still be able to find it on the used market, maybe even as a new item at some retailers. The 4/3 system has some of the best lenses ever made. There are a myriad of exceptional telephoto lenses made for it by Olympus that are still available new, but at seriously expensive prices. There is a 90-250mm f/2.8 and also a 35-100mm f/2.0 which I owned for a while. It was a staggeringly good lens, but just so big as to make it impractical with the smaller bodies like the E-M1. For me the whole reason for moving to m43 was to shed the weight, so while that lens was magnificent, I never took it out because the range was the same as a 70-200mm FX lens, but probably double the size (it was f/2.0 after all). I do regret selling it though. 

So Dallas what would be a practical tele zoom lens for Safaris. I used a Nikon200-500, while pretty good is quite bulky. Would this system offer any lens that would cover a similar range and not as bulky and heavy.

Unfortunately you won't get away from the bulk with the faster lenses like the 90-250/2.8, but for safaris I use the 50-200mm 2.8-3.5 SWD and over the past three years I have enjoyed using it a lot. It's pretty compact when un-zoomed and not too heavy. It also has a removable collar. 

Results can be seen on www.photographers.travel (link is to last year's gallery). Depending on where you go the range is fine. I did, however, acquire a 1.4x TC for that lens so I will be using that on our upcoming trip next month and will report back on its use. From what I have seen thus far there is no noticeable image degradation. I will lose a stop, but it will still be faster than the 200-500mm lenses at f/4.5 on the long end. 

From what has been discussed, this is a "four thirds" lens?  So the way you use it, you have an adapter (to micro FT), AND also a 1.4 TC?  Or is this a specialty TC that is also an adapter? 

Hi Vkumar, I have both the "old" 4/3rds format Olympus 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 lens, the same lens that Dallas has, and the newer Nikon 80-400mm G lens.  The Olympus lens gives nothing away to its Nikon counterpart, is better built, is faster, and has a really really solid tripod mounting collar.

The tiny collar on the Nikon is made of flimsy accountant friendly plastic (who the hell are they kidding), and I have had to replace it with an American made Kirk collar - much better, but compromised by the geometery of the lens - it is as if the designers of the Nikon lens only included a tripod mounting collar as a very late after thought and squeezed it onto whatever little space was left available on the lens body.  So forget tripod mounting the Nikon in anything but really bright light.  A shame really, as the lens is not a bad lens optically - it is very good in fact, and I only talk about it to make the point that the M43 lenses have some useful mechanical advantages over rivals from other formats.

On the Olymus 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 however, there is plenty of space reserved on the lens body for a tripod collar and it is made of plenty of that old fashioned material that was in use back in our great grandparents days - I think that they used to call it M-E-T-A-L  (:),  with my apologies to FZ contributor and F-I-L-M user rbsinto ).  On a decent tripod, this lens really does stay where it is put and can deliver shake free outcomes at very low shutter speeds..  (That said, the 40-150mm M43 PRO lens is also more solid than the Nikon, but I did not opt for the 40-150mm, as the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 is also less expensive and is more practical for myself.)

Olympus only stopped manufacturing this lens earlier this year, so although they stopped making 4/3rds format DSLR bodies several years ago, the 4/3rds lens line has been much longer lived, and with good reason - they were/are very good lenses and work well with upper end M43 Olympus bodies such as the E-M1 Mark 1 and 2 cameras whose autofocus systems can best utilise these older lenses.  (You will however need the Olympus MMF-3 adpater to go from the 4/3rd lenses to the M43 lens mount to use the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 on an M43 body.)

Hope this helps.

18 hours ago, vkumar said:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, waltonksm said:

From what has been discussed, this is a "four thirds" lens?  So the way you use it, you have an adapter (to micro FT), AND also a 1.4 TC?  Or is this a specialty TC that is also an adapter? 

It is 2 different contraptions attached to the lens. So the TC is 4/3 mount and the MMF adapts that to m43. Doesn't look particularly svelte but it performs very nicely which is all that counts. The comparative range on an FX Nikon would be 140-560mm. 

Hugh and  Dallas.  Thank you for you detailed answers. Does the addition of the adaptor (besides being clumsy) slow down auto focus or anything else, such as usable aperture?

I also noticed that Panasonic offers a 100-400/4.0-6.3 Leica lens.  How well does this play with the newer Olympus bodies ? Any adaptors needed, AFperformance? Aperture performance? Performance in Safaris?

Vijay

1 hour ago, vkumar said:

Hugh and  Dallas.  Thank you for you detailed answers. Does the addition of the adaptor (besides being clumsy) slow down auto focus or anything else, such as usable aperture?

I also noticed that Panasonic offers a 100-400/4.0-6.3 Leica lens.  How well does this play with the newer Olympus bodies ? Any adaptors needed, AFperformance? Aperture performance? Performance in Safaris?

Vijay

The PL 100-400 is a m43 lens so it mounts on any m43 body without an adapter.  On my EM1.2 body AF is as fast and as accurate as any other lens that I have, including a couple of Olympus Pro lenses.

I had forgotten about the 100-400. A friend used it and was very impressed with it. Regarding your question about the AF speed of the 50-200 on the E-M1, it's pretty fast! I imagine it will be even faster on the mm ii body.