Noct

Capture One Pro 10.1 for Fuji X-Trans

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

A friend saw my Fuji's and before I could warn him "but you will need a good raw converter in order to get the best out of it" he decided to get an X-T2 with the zoom. He wasn't happy with the results from the jpg's and out of Lightroom, was happy with Iridient but mentioned that he got the best results with the latest version of Capture One Pro (10.1).

Out of curiosity I downloaded the 30-days trial, and I must say that am positively surprised about how well it renders X-Trans files. Colours, sharpness and demosaicing seems to be very well done and the .raf's are processed with reasonable speed, much faster than Iridient Developer.

PhotoNinja, Iridient Developer (Mac only), Iridient X-transformer; IMHO Capture One Pro 10.1 can be added to this list of software that handles X-Trans properly. Definitely worth a look.

Edited by Noct
2 people like this

I would add ON1 Photo Raw, currently my favourite for rafs.

1 person likes this

In a related topic, did anyone see Martin Evening's article "Adobe Lightroom and Capture One Pro" from the September 2016 issue of Photoshop User magazine?   Martin explores the process done by default by Lr (or ACR) to CiP.   Martin gives his opinion on what adjustments you can make in Lr and save as presets to give the same look for a Canon, Nikon, or Fuji sensor as they would get by default CiP processing.

Part of his conclusions is:    

"The biggest difference between the two programs, though, is a difference in philosophy. Lightroom aims for a standardized result where the tone and color rendering is deliberately made more conservative. This reminds me of the time I spent at art school learning to print in black and white. I was taught to produce the contact sheets on a soft- contrast grade of paper, because this would reveal the full extent of tones captured by the negative. In Lightroom, the initial rendering is meant to be a starting point, and Light- room provides the color, tone, and sharpening controls you need to realize your vision.

Capture One’s philosophy is to produce a more opti- mized look that doesn’t necessarily require further edit- ing. This may have led to the perception that Capture One is sharper and punchier, but in reality neither program is inherently better than the other when it comes to actually working on your images and adjusting the settings to suit individual tastes. "

Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 11.00.53 PM.png