Michael Erlewine

Nikon D820 (more convincing rumor)

16 posts in this topic

This latest rumor of the replacement for the Nikon D810 looks pretty reasonable to me.

https://nikonrumors.com/2017/05/04/new-set-of-rumored-nikon-d820-camera-specifications.aspx/

Not all of what I want, but probably at least a baby-step forward.

It's a bedlam out there at NikonRumors.

It's not difficult to imagine the D8xx replacement: It would be a D500 body with an FX sensor, of possibly 46-48mp resolution.   That's it - and I would definitely get one.  The D500 body is a big step up in terms of features and capabilities and I would like to have the same with an FX sensor.  :yes:

The next Nikon FX dSLR may be a true D700-replacement.  What its sensor will be is harder to guess.  It would be a D500 body with an FX sensor, that could either be from the Nikon D5 or an enhanced version of what is found in the D610/D750.  Though remote, the sensor could also be the same as that from the D4s/Df.  Depending on the sensor used, I may also consider this.  It would be good to have the same body with three different sensors (DX, mid-res FX, high-res FX).  

Thereafter, the final Nikon dSLR FX will likely be a D750-replacement.  I imagine that it would have the same body as the D750, but with all the features-improvements of the D7500.  Hopefully, Nikon will retain the the current twin SD-slots of the D750.

Huh? I imagine it is a D810 replacement, with a D810 body-type, etc.

47 minutes ago, Michael Erlewine said:

Huh? I imagine it is a D810 replacement, with a D810 body-type, etc.

You have not handled a D500?  

The D500 body (form factor, AF, features sets, etc.) is superior and clearly better than that of the D810 (except for the sensor).  It is but to be expected that the D810-replacement will use and inherit the strong points of the D500 body.

20 minutes ago, Larry said:

You have not handled a D500?  

The D500 body (form factor, AF, features sets, etc.) is superior and clearly better than that of the D810 (except for the sensor).  It is but to be expected that the D810-replacement will use and inherit the strong points of the D500 body.

No, I have never seen a D500 body, so I just expected it to be like the D810.

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Exactly. The D820 will most probably be a little bit larger than the D500 because of the mirrorbox size (remember d300 size  vs D700 size). The "retina" flippable LCD is well done on the D500 and is safe when flush against the body, and personally I like to see the flash gone. It will never accidentally popup again :)

19 hours ago, Noct said:

Exactly. The D820 will most probably be a little bit larger than the D500 because of the mirrorbox size (remember d300 size  vs D700 size). The "retina" flippable LCD is well done on the D500 and is safe when flush against the body, and personally I like to see the flash gone. It will never accidentally popup again :)

I have mixed feelings about the camera built-in flash.  On one hand it does hamper PC-E lens operation.  On the other hand, it has been a very useful for some fill-in flash operations and as an adjunct to Nikon's CLS AWL.  Specifically, the built-in flash provides me certain advantages specially when travelling and load limited, e.g., the ability to position the only SB-900 I have with me off camera and using the built-in camera flash as a wireless commander to control and trigger the off-camera SB-900.  Bringing two flash units is too much of a bulk and weight penalty when traveling.  With the D500, I have resorted to bracketing and shooting 10fps to compensate for the loss of a built-in flash in the camera in some situations.    

I do have some items on my wish for the D8xx replacement.  One of this is support for focus peaking and image magnify while in Live View (a standard feature for many mirrorless cameras).  While its new AF will be very capable, this is of little consequence when one is using manual focus.  Having this as another option to use with the touchscreen in Live View would be a welcome addition.             

In the m43 cameras (Olympus and Panasonic) that I use, I set the camera AF setting to MF.  The image magnify and focus peaking is activated when I manually turn the focus ring on the lens.  At the same time, with just a simple press on the AF-on switch, I can activate and use the AF.  Switching between these two is easy, very quick and seamless.  While using Live View on a dSLR would likely mean that the dSLR is mounted on a tripod (instead of being handheld as in the case of a mirrorless), the ability to switch between MF and AF this way would still be most welcome.

The above feature is within easy reach and can be done by Nikon.  

The other item on the wish list is likely unlikely at this point but I will put this here anyway.... an optional articulating EVF that can be used when the camera is on live view. 

These two features incorporated in a Nikon dSLR will yield to some degree the capabilities of a mirrorless yet fully retain the advantages of having the OVF of a dSLR.  With these two features incorporated into a Nikon dSLR, I will feel no need to acquire a 135mm "fullframe" mirrorless from the competition (i.e., Sony).  It will be easy to holdover with just Nikon until such time that Nikon finally releases its own F-mount FX mirrorless.

Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, Noct said:

This reminds me of something. 

In the earlier years, Nikon released the D3/D700 but while Nikon released the D4, it never released a D700-replacement.  Instead, Nikon created a new class of cameras when it released the D8xx and the D750.  Given that Nikon seems to have revitalized the D300/D90 combo in the D500/D7500, I see a possibility that Nikon will do the same combo with FX, using the D5 but now likely to include two companion models ... a mid-resolution version as a D700-replacement, and a high-resolution version as a D8xx-replacement.      

I have suggested to Peter of NikonRumors to conduct a poll on its readers' preference as to the following as to the D700-replacement:

1. D500 body + 24.3mp FX sensor from the D750/D6xx    (DR excellent performance at low up to ISO 1600)

2. D500 body + 20.8mp FX sensor from the D5                 (DR not as good at low ISO but excellent at above ISO 1600)

3. D500 body + 16.2mp FX sensor from the D4s/Df           (DR good performance at low as well as high ISO) 

I would be interested to know which of these three sensor do you think the majority of Nikon photographers will prefer, as well as your personal preference (if any).

Edited by Larry

Posted (edited)

Dallas, I know you are also not very keen on Nikon these days but could you post a poll on these two items?  Thank you.

Which of these three would you prefer that Nikon releases as a D700-replacement?

1. D500 body + 24.3mp FX sensor from the D750/D6xx    (DR excellent performance at low up to ISO 1600)

2. D500 body + 20.8mp FX sensor from the D5                 (DR not as good at low ISO but excellent at above ISO 1600)

3. D500 body + 16.2mp FX sensor from the D4s/Df           (DR good performance at low as well as high ISO) 

Which of these cameras will be your likely next Nikon purchase (Choose one, two or all three!)

1. $2000 for a D750-replacement (D750 body plus D7500 enhancements).

2. $3000 for a D700-replacement (D500 body plus FX sensor from either the D750, D5, D4/Df).

3. $3400 for a D810-replacement (D500 body plus FX sensor of at least 46-48mp resolution)

Edited by Larry

Larry, you should be able to add that as a poll if you edit the original post.

I though it needed your Admin privilege to do that.  I did as you suggested in a new thread, and spent about 25-30 minutes to write down the questions and the options.  But an error occurred after submission which erased everything that I wrote up.  I have no more time tonight but I will try again tomorrow when I have a bit more time.

Thanks Dallas.

Sorry Larry. We've been having some server issues the last day or so. I had the hosting company investigate today and they seem to have done something to correct it. It's working for me now. 

Anybody should be able to add a poll to any new topic. It's one of the options you should see in the creation box. 

the built-in flash provides me certain advantages specially when travelling and load limited, e.g., the ability to position the only SB-900 I have with me off camera

You could just slot a radio TX (like the 662-n TX from Yongnuo) into the hot shoe; and attach a radio receiver to the base of an off-camera flash head.

My Fuji X-T cameras came with a separate, small, light camera-powered hot-shoe clip on flash unit that looks very much like a pop-up when flipped up in use (and can fold down flat on top of the viewfinder housing when not in use), but also being detachable the camera didn't have to be built around it. A sensible design solution, I thought. It will fire photo-cell equipped external flashes, and if they ever make a MkII with a swivel base it would add even greater functionality.

All the same, I use wireless transmitter/receivers to fire my monoblocks.

1 person likes this

On 6.5.2017 at 20:22, Larry said:

I have mixed feelings about the camera built-in flash.  On one hand it does hamper PC-E lens operation.  On the other hand, it has been a very useful for some fill-in flash operations and as an adjunct to Nikon's CLS AWL.  Specifically, the built-in flash provides me certain advantages specially when travelling and load limited, e.g., the ability to position the only SB-900 I have with me off camera and using the built-in camera flash as a wireless commander to control and trigger the off-camera SB-900.  Bringing two flash units is too much of a bulk and weight penalty when traveling.  With the D500, I have resorted to bracketing and shooting 10fps to compensate for the loss of a built-in flash in the camera in some situations.   

You could just add a WR-R10 + WR-A10 to the 10-point connector and it performs the following functions:

- triggers SB-5000 flashes by radio, with full functionality, flash control settings in the menu (I have them in my menu, very quick to access). Fires the flashes very reliably indoors and outdoors, unlike optical triggering, no frequent eye closures like the pop up gives, no long recycle times, you can fire at the pace of the remote flash which in the case of the SB-5000 is very fast

- allows one to trigger the camera remotely without a cable (using WR-T10 which comes with the WR-10 kit)

- allows one camera to trigger other remote cameras.

- you can continue to use your old flash in the hot shoe together with the radio triggered remote(s).

The SB-5000 is expensive, admittedly, as a new unit, but it does have advantages: the flash is surprisingly small, compared to SB-910/900, it has a fan so it keeps itself cool, and allows fairly rapid firing at or near full flash energy. It has the radio receiver built in and so since the WR-R10 doesn't need a battery either the radio triggering is carried out entirely without requirement of maintaining extra batteries for the triggering devices, just keep the flash itself and the camera charged, and you're good to go.

1 person likes this

52 minutes ago, ilkka_nissila said:

You could just add a WR-R10 + WR-A10 to the 10-point connector and it performs the following functions:

- triggers SB-5000 flashes by radio, with full functionality, flash control settings in the menu (I have them in my menu, very quick to access). Fires the flashes very reliably indoors and outdoors, unlike optical triggering, no frequent eye closures like the pop up gives, no long recycle times, you can fire at the pace of the remote flash which in the case of the SB-5000 is very fast

- allows one to trigger the camera remotely without a cable (using WR-T10 which comes with the WR-10 kit)

- allows one camera to trigger other remote cameras.

- you can continue to use your old flash in the hot shoe together with the radio triggered remote(s).

The SB-5000 is expensive, admittedly, as a new unit, but it does have advantages: the flash is surprisingly small, compared to SB-910/900, it has a fan so it keeps itself cool, and allows fairly rapid firing at or near full flash energy. It has the radio receiver built in and so since the WR-R10 doesn't need a battery either the radio triggering is carried out entirely without requirement of maintaining extra batteries for the triggering devices, just keep the flash itself and the camera charged, and you're good to go.

Thank you ilkka for these suggestions.  I will consider the SB-5000 and the WR-R10 + WR-A10 for use when traveling.  I consider the SB-5000 as fairly priced and the primary reason why I have not tested and gotten one is that my current setup with the SB-900/SB-800 works very well.  While the zoom range of the SB-5000 is not as wide as the SB-900 which covers 17-200mm, I think the 24-200mm zoom range of the SB-5000 will suffice for most of my needs.                             

I currently bring a single SB-900 when traveling.  For field use, I sometimes bring 6 flash units (4 x SB-900 and 2 x SB-800).  Having used these for many years, I have become quite adept in using the optical-based triggering.  I was an early adopter of the PocketWizard MiniTT and FlexTT5 but these did not add much to what I can already do with the optical triggering of the Nikon flash units for most of my uses.  The transmitters, receivers, zone controller, different batteries and chargers plus cables took up a lot additional space and weight to the already limited space and weight allowance I work with.  In the end, I stayed with the optical-based triggering of the SB-900/SB-800 which did not require me to bring any adapters, batteries, and cables.  The PocketWizard units thus have mostly languished unused.