Larry

The Sony A9

32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Sony A9 Top View.jpgSony A9 Rear View 2.jpgSony A9 Rear View 2.jpgSony A9 Rear View.jpgSony A9 Side View.jpg

https://www.dpreview.com/news/1308959313/sony-announces-a9-24mp-20fps-high-end-full-frame-sports-camera

35mm "full-frame" stacked 24mp CMOS sensor

Blackout-Free Continuous Shooting up to 20fps for up to 241 RAW images

Silent shooting at speeds up to 1/32,000 sec (no shutter noise; using electronic shutter on S and M Mode)

693 point focal plane phase detection AF points with 60 AF/AE tracking calculations per second

PDAF area coverage is approximately 93% of the frame

Ethernet port for file transfer

Dual SD card slots (only one however supports the UHS-II cards)

Extended battery life (2.2x the A7 battery capacity)

5-axis in-body image stabilization, up to 5-stops

$4,500.00

Observations:

- EVF is 0.78x magnification

- EVF is now 3,686k dots (refresh of 120fps; refresh limited to 60fps when using auto or electronic shutter mode and in continuous shooting mode)

- still has a mechanical and electronic shutter

- has a dedicated AF joystick

- has a dedicated AF-on button

- has dedicated Flash PC Terminal

- rear screen is a tilting touchscreen

- 4K video available in full frame and in crop mode

- with microphone and headphone jack

Edited by Larry
1 person likes this

Specs look impressive

Time will tell how well it is received by the photographers that make a living shooting sports

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, DDFZ said:

Nice camera, ridiculous price. But I suppose my prediction about the price of pro spec hardware rising sharply is coming true. 

The A9 form factor is ideal for the A7 series which is used mainly as a general purpose camera.  But the A9 form factor leaves much to be desired as a sports camera.  This dichotomy in features/specs and form factor may limit its acceptance among events and sports photographers.

With a smaller shrinking market, a price increase is inevitable given the also-expected features/specs war among various brands. 

Edited by Larry

I think Sony are always trying to "out-spec" everyone. Nothing they have ever made in the camera market has ever seemed like a sensible camera to me (except the RX100, which I would like to get). But this one... I can see where it would be useful. Do they have a matching lens range though? 

2 minutes ago, DDFZ said:

I think Sony are always trying to "out-spec" everyone. Nothing they have ever made in the camera market has ever seemed like a sensible camera to me (except the RX100, which I would like to get). But this one... I can see where it would be useful. Do they have a matching lens range though? 

Sony just released a 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 zoom lens which is now available to use along with its 70-200mm f2.8.  But these lenses are not the best choice among those who need a longer lens options ... specially as the A9 sensor is "only" 24.2mp

I am not sure if the 3rd party electronic adapters that allow Canon lenses to be adapted to the E-mount bodies like the A9 will work as well as native E-mount lenses to sufficiently enable the purpose for which the A9 was seemingly designed for ... sports photography.  There are a good number of issues on this that afflicts amateur users.  I skeptical whether a professional shooter whose bread and butter depends on his output would be willing to put up with these issues.

Candidly, my initial impression of the A9 is that the form factor and some of its features (higher capacity battery, AF joystick, AF-on button, rear touchscreen, etc.) is a big improvement if these are implemented in the A7 Series III which are general purpose cameras.  But the A9 form factor leaves it wanting for much more as a sports camera.  One could use an A9 as a general purpose camera but the high-speed enabling specifications and the price are over the top overkill.

By the way, one area where the A9 could possibly excel given its ability to shoot silently at high frame frame with a robust buffer would be for covering political events, such as in the white house.  The noise and din of multiple dSLRs shooting at full-tilt continuously for several seconds create such a racket that one could hardly sometimes hear what is being said in such events.  Here, the Sony 70-200mm f2.8 would have enough range to easily cover the event.

While the A9 would likely also be well suited for covering events where silence is golden (church events, quiet concerts, etc.), this function can already be covered by other cameras which can shoot silently and which do not need to have the frame rate and buffer of the A9.

specs are indeed impressive... time will tell if this body will be seen in the wild ... personally I am not tempted at all ...

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Chris Wahl said:

specs are indeed impressive... time will tell if this body will be seen in the wild ... personally I am not tempted at all ...

Indeed, the specs are impressive but I am also not tempted.  Putting these features (minus the 20fps and 241 RAW buffer) plus a high-resolution sensor in an A7 Series III camera and priced at the current A7 level may however be tempting.

One benefit from this A9 introduction is that Canon and Nikon will have to up their games considerably in any future 35mm "FF" mirrorless cameras they will be releasing.  One side effect of that of course is a sharp increase in price.  Touché!

1 person likes this

I agree regarding the effect this might have on Nikon and Canon but then again I am not so sure whether they look too closely at the competition. In the end they have to come up with s.th. really good that goes beyond lens-invest-loyalty. 

regarding prices ... well ... if one wants impressive specs (and the latest and greatest) one has to pay for it ... sounds reasonable to me. Cameras are small computers so the same basic principle applies ... mac users do pay their premium for a closed shop environment without complaining *scnr* :D 

1 person likes this

Why on earth did they only make one card slot UHS II compatible, crazy for a camera costing $4500???

What a good job I moved to Fuji and not Sony as I considered doing!

Now this is getting ridiculous - to feel the need to inscribe "35mm Full Frame" in a ring around the lens mount is plain bloody silly.

Sony, if you're going to use film terminology like "35mm", then for pity's sake just use the proper format designation "135" and be done with it. Period.

3 people like this

Well Alan ... Sony has to make sure that they are #1 in the FF World ... marketing ... ridiculous :D 

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Alan7140 said:

Now this is getting ridiculous - to feel the need to inscribe "35mm Full Frame" in a ring around the lens mount is plain bloody silly.

Sony, if you're going to use film terminology like "35mm", then for pity's sake just use the proper format designation "135" and be done with it. Period.

28 minutes ago, Chris Wahl said:

Well Alan ... Sony has to make sure that they are #1 in the FF World ... marketing ... ridiculous :D 

I have been reading some of the discussions online regarding the A9 and while I appreciate the significance of some of the advances that Sony has made in the A9, I am stumped at the extent of hyperbole in many of the postings.  Then again, this follows the fanciful and misleading claim that Sony made recently about being No. 2 in the full frame market ... and no longer to my surprise, the way Sony hypes the specifications of the A9.  The lack of harmony and balance in the specs, body form and price of the A9 more than anything else pushes me in a different direction, that is, further away from Sony rather than closer to it.  The A9 is clear evidence to me of the dissonance within Sony's camera and lens division for which I should stay away from.

3 people like this

Sony is one electronics company that I will never trust. Sure, they can make some amazing products, but their longevity in standing behind their products leaves a LOT to be desired. I have never seen such a fickle bunch. They change tack more often than a sailor in high winds. 

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Here is an indication of the hype I speak of:

FRAME RATE

Claim:  20fps, buffer for 241 RAW

Reality:

- 20fps possible only with electronic shutter and compressed RAW which is not lossless

- if lossless uncompressed RAW is chosen along with the electronic shutter, highest speed is now down to 12fps

- if lossless uncompressed RAW is chosen along with the mechanical shutter, highest speed is now down to 5fps

BUFFER:

Claim: 241 RAW

Reality:

- compressed not lossless RAW: 241 frames

- uncompressed RAW: 128 frames

Edited by Larry
2 people like this

:) this often feels like being in highschool reading magazines for exotic cars and then arguing with your friends about which brand is better 

... I just hope all the bragging from Sony does put some pressure on Nikon to release a nice mirrorless system

2 people like this

For both Nikon and Canon, moving to mirrorless systems is when, not if.     If Sony had the arsenal of glass that is easily available to Canikon shooters......Sony could move tot the top of the heap.  

Even my lowly E-M1 II does 16FPS with electronic shutter. ;) 

1 person likes this

In 17 years of photography, including a few years shooting sports, I have yet to find a need for anything faster than 6 FPS. The "spray & pray" method of photography doesn't appeal to me at all. 

On 20/04/2017 at 08:41, Alan7140 said:

Alan it's so that the users can look at this ring and say did I really spend this much money! Or in case they forget that it is "35mm Full Frame" camera, so a quick look at the ring will remind them. :D

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Mike G said:

Alan it's so that the users can look at this ring and say did I really spend this much money! Or in case they forget that it is "35mm FUll Frame" camera, so a quick look at the ring will remind them. :D

My bemusement at that "35mm FULL FRAME CMOS IMAGE SENSOR" label shouting at us from the lurid copper coloured ring around the camera's lens mount stems from the obvious realisation by Sony that their own so-called medium format sensor which has suddenly appeared in cameras that are more affordable and thus destined for greater market penetration have produced a conundrum for that use of "full frame" as a descriptor for 135 format that I have so long complained about.

I'm intrigued as to the apparent approaching intent here of having two "full frame" designations as medium format's larger sensor size becomes known now as "Medium Format Full Frame CMOS Image Sensor", and presumably the GFX 50s and Hasselblad X1D and 50c camera backs become known as something like Medium Format Small Frame CMOS Image Sensor".

Pretty soon they'll run out of room around that ring with increasingly lengthy descriptions of sensor size based on Internet colloquialisms penned by bloggers who have little idea what they're talking about, and maybe then they'll return to simple format designations which had been established for around a Century prior to the current nonsense.

Imagine, all Sony had to do was inscribe "135" on that ring. :rofl:

2 people like this

14 minutes ago, Alan7140 said:

Imagine, all Sony had to do was inscribe "135" on that ring. :rofl:

All Sony has to do is leave this kind of nonsense out. Nobody makes better pictures because the sensor format is described on the lens mount... :devil:

At least they got rid of the "4K SteadyShot INSIDE" text as prominently printed on the top deck of the A7rII. B)

On 19.4.2017 at 18:58, armando_m said:

Time will tell how well it is received by the photographers that make a living shooting sports

There are no native fast superteles (300/2.8, 400/2.8, 200-400/4, 600/4 etc.) available for the mount (with adapters, full performance is not available) so I find it difficult to believe photographers who specialize in sports could switch (not to mention the cost of switching, if the lenses were available). If Sony had launched at least a couple of those lenses at the same time, it might have made a different impression of who the are targeting with this camera.

However, for other applications where silent operation is a significant benefit, and fast long lenses are not required, this camera seems very interesting. I imagine some wedding, music, theatre, dance photographers would love it.