Anthony

White Water Competition

17 posts in this topic

On 15 April I was photographed the British Canoeing Team Selection Races at the Lea Valley Olympic Course.

Here are some of my images.  Please click to view large.

20170415_White_water_211-copy.jpg

20170415_White_water_732-copy.jpg

20170415_White_water_1285.jpg

20170415_White_water_491.jpg

20170415_White_water_776.jpg

20170415_White_water_949.jpg

20170415_White_water_1083.jpg

20170415_White_water_1203.jpg

20170415_White_water_1257.jpg

20170415_White_water_1483.jpg

20170415_White_water_1756.jpg

2 people like this

Excellent results, Anthony! What gear were you using for these? I can imagine tracking focus might have been a bit tricky. 

Really excellent Anthony.

I'll sort of echo Dallas, Fuji or Nikon?

Well done Anthony...

You had a great angle

The last one is the most challenging

The spritzle fools the AF... 

Rags

Some very capable shooting (and well-held HLs too!).

I particularly like the expressions of sheer determination in shots 6, 7, & 8 and the composition of your high-angle shot in #10 — although #10 would be even better if you could add an extra sliver along the bottom-edge (with content-aware Fill and some cloning) and re-create the missing nose of the prow.

great series! I particularly like the second image... the guy in the middle of watery nowhere ...

skilled shooting Anthony, well done!

Thank you all.  I really like sports photography, and try to bring out the human side.

Dallas and Mike, the answer to the gear question is a bit complicated.  Fixation (where I rented the 200-400 for Sabi Sabi 2010 (Ann, I think the Wimberley impressed you)), had an offer over the Easter public holiday - four days rental for the price of one day.  So I rented the 300 2.8, a £4,600 lens for £45, and a D500 for £50 for the same period.  These seemed to be  unmissable bargains.

On the day, I had the above rented items, plus my D3s (a veteran of Sabi Sabi 2010), the Nikon 70-200 2.8 and the X-T2 with the 50-140 and 18-55 (used for the view from above).  Mostly I used the D500, because I wanted to give it a thorough check out.  In the morning I used it with the 300, with the 70-200 on the D3s, in the afternoon I swapped them round.  I used the X-T2 with the 50-140 as well, because I wanted to test it out in the challenging circumstances.

My first pass on the results showed that each combination was very capable of tracking the action.  However, overall the D500 came out as the winner.  But the other two cameras were not far behind.  The 300mm was a bit too powerful, as I was able to get fairly close to the action.  But it is a wonderful lens.  The photos in the post were all D500 apart from two which were X-T2; I do not put too much weight on that, as so much depends on external events, e.g. whether a competitor had an arm covering the face in what would otherwise be a great shot.

My conclusion is that Nikon has the best overall system for this type of shooting, with the D500 outstanding.  But the Fuji combination performed very creditably, and I do not feel the need to acquire a D500.  However, Fuji's lens offering for sports photography is too limited.  So I may well rent the same combination again.

Dallas and Rags, the spray does indeed make tracking focus tricky.  I set all the cameras to ignore distractions to the maximum extent.  Inevitably there were many failures.  I tried the D500's 3D tracking with Face Recognition; the focus box jumped around the frame in an alarming manner, but on reviewing the results on the computer, it actually had quite a good hit rate.  The Fuji was much better for reviewing on site, because of the EVF.  The LCD screens on all the cameras were useless for serious evaluation, because of the sunlight.

Ann, you have set me a tough Photoshop exercise!

Chris, actually, it is a young woman!

1 person likes this

Ann, you have set me a tough Photoshop exercise!

But one which is well within your capabilities!

;)

Regarding LCD screens:

You can set them for maximum brightness (and shield with your hand) which helps in bright light but I don't chimp much while actually shooting except to glance occasionally at the Histogram.

Some people who do want to review the LCD while shooting swear by the Hoodman Loupe and wear one on a lanyard around their neck; others swear at it and find it expensive and of poor optical quality. I regard the Hoodman as just more clutter and can see no advantage in using one on a D5's touch-zoomable screen.

Regarding the Wimberley: the best thing was that you introduced it to Nicola and she bought me one as a present for the following Christmas!

Seen the images large is a pleasure ! Thanks for sharing this fantastic series

the offer to rent such great gear was certainly unmissable

Were you alone carrying all this gear ? 

Thanks, Armando, I did carry all this gear, and some more.  Sometimes one has to suffer in the interests of science and art.:(

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, Anthony said:

... Sometimes one has to suffer in the interests of science and art.:(

Amen...

18 hours ago, Anthony said:

Thanks, Armando, I did carry all this gear, and some more.  Sometimes one has to suffer in the interests of science and art.:(

wow ...and then you probably had to moving among crowds 

Yes, including handling a monopod and a folding stool!

Anthony that's called masochism. :D

Masochist:  "Hit me."

Sadist:  "No".

1 person likes this

Thank you, Swede!