afx

Scanning Slides: Flatbed or Duplicator

8 posts in this topic

Hi,
sold my slide scanner a while ago and now I need to digitize 300 slides from 1999.
I do have an Epson V550 flatbed scanner that can scan slides (4 in one go) and I have Vuescan.
Sold my Sensia IT8 target with the slide scanner ;-(
A friend recommended using a slide duplicator instead with my 60 AFS micro and the D750.
That would eliminate the typical scanner color issues.
But what about resolution?

Has anyone here used both methods and can comment on the relative merits?

If going the duplicator route, I don't want to spend much money on it, so pointers to reasonably priced solutions are appreciated.

thx
afx

The macro lens and slide duplicator will absolutely eat the Epson as far as real resolution goes.

6400dpi is meaningless when the capture is done by a crappy little lens scanning in lines through a piece of ordinary glass and which may be - or not be - in actual focus on the piece of film as is the case with a flatbed scanner. The only scanner that will equal or perhaps (or perhaps not) beat a properly aligned macro lens and slide duplicator with your D750 is either a high-end dedicated film scanner (think Flextight scanners, which have proper photographic repro lenses in them) or a proper drum scanner.

If you copy the slide properly focussed and filling the frame you will achieve a result as close as makes no difference to the actual film image, and perfectly capable of enlargement to the largest size you would normally print your regular D750 files at.

It will also be hugely quicker and far more colour accurate to go the duplicator route - with the proviso that your duplicator must be absolutely square to the lens, and will also depend on the film being flat (which can be overcome to some degree by shooting at f/8-f/11 to extend depth of field, something else a flatbed does not give you the option of doing.

Andreas, I can't help with you question, but that has to be the longest topic title ever!

Thanks Alan, so now on to finding the right duplicator ;-)

And sorry for the messed up title. Should not post after an alcohol laden Dinner.

EDIT: Just found this Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_fMcAsAYdc-1

Looks like I only need a step down adapter (BR-5) and the EE-1 and I am set.

Of course, the Setup will be on a tripod and I will try to use my LED panels instead of the flash.

cheers

afx

Get a PB-4 & duplicator, Andreas, they come up reasonably often on eBay. The PB-4 (if you don't have one or for the benefit of others if you do) is  by far the best bellows & accessories set that Nikon made - it has a swing/shift front which makes it easy to square up, as well the shift function allows you to move the lens left or right without shifting the film plane, which is great in moving in even closer and getting a distortion-free pair of photos to stitch together for even higher end resolution.

I'm not sure about the clearance of the prism housing on the D750, but you might need an extension ring of the right length between the body and PB4 for it to attach properly without hitting the housing overhang. Maybe something like a PK-11 will be sufficient, if not a PK-13 should definitely do the job.

Thanks Alan,

but after seeing the video, I think I can skip the PB-4 ;-)

And if I have the patience to wait, then I can get the ES-1 60% of the German price shipped form Japan (just spent some time on fleabay.

cheers

afx

I've been slowly scanning old slides and film by the macro lens method.  Been using a negative carrier acquired from a cheap slide scanner($50ish and very disappointing) and aligning the carrier an camera with a spirit level.  Shooting at my usual macro aperture of around f/16, I haven't noticed any alignment issues, but you may have more sensitive vision than me.

Main issues for me have been cleaning the negatives, finding a suitable light source and the fact some of my negatives had degraded.

Some discussion of this is in this thread and also a few of my results here

Edited by crowecg
Added reference to earlier thread.

I'll be getting an ES-1+BR5 from Mike G, I'll report back as soon as possible.
Plan is to test LED panels and flash for the light source. And custom WB on an empty slide.
I'll rig the system to my table with clamps so everything is locked down. And then Tethering via qDSLRDashboard.

cheers
afx