merlin

Sunday in the Nature Preserve

8 posts in this topic

Tee shirt and shorts on the day before Equinox! Another marvelous hike in the Nature Preserve. Seeing leaves emerging on the mountain mahogany, and the tenacity of junipers clinging to rocks and cliffs, was deeply inspiring, as was the huge boulders, vistas, and soaring ravens.

As always, the connections with nature are uplifting and healing. How amazing that the trailhead is less than 20 minutes down the road from our home. We are so fortunate...

X30F1535_lzn.jpg

X30F1536_lzn.jpg

X30F1537_lzn.jpg

X30F1544_lzn.jpg

X30F1555_lzn.jpg

X30F1551_lzn-1.jpg

X30F1552_lzn.jpg

X30F1554_lzn.jpg

X30F1571_lzn.jpg

X30F1572_lzn.jpg

X30F1562_lzn.jpg

X30F1564_lzn.jpg

1 person likes this

27 minutes ago, Ann said:

Truly magnificent scenery!

Those of us who are able to live "out in the wilderness" in so many parts of this country are incredibly fortunate.

Yes, we are indeed very fortunate.  And thanks so much for your kind words -- greatly appreciated!

More super rocks, ?  Lovely

1 person likes this

28 minutes ago, Mike G said:

More super rocks, ?  Lovely

I thought of you whilst taking those rock photographs.  Thanks!

I thought Mike would be quick to comment on the rocks as well. :D

Superb , rugged scenery. I never get tired of seeing these photographs.

The sort of thing that inspires one to walk through, not just view from a platform.

Perhaps for all its charm and rarity, one of the things I miss about walking through our old-growth forests is the lack of sense of the overall picture - it's rare to catch glimpses of the distance when in amongst all those tall trees and sometimes dense under-storey. The impression is mostly of the nearby scenery, and it is the sort of place where even navigating by the position of the sun can be difficult at times owing to the sky being all-but blocked by vegetation. GPS has saved my bacon on more than one occasion as a result - even navigating by compass can be difficult. It must be nice to actually see where you are in relation to where you're going! :)

2 people like this

Thanks, Alan!  I am very pleased that you enjoy the photographs of these amazing yet nearby places. 

What's not to like about a great big boulder. :yes:

I quite enjoy lichens as well because I always think of the unanswerable question of how long have taken to grow or in the case of Merlin's magic rock pictures what forces put you there and when. :D

1 person likes this

Great unanswerable question, Mike.  I always marvel at these things.

1 person likes this