Sign in to follow this  
crowecg

Walhalla Cemetery

Inspired by some of Alan's pictures of the area, I paid a visit to Walhalla Cemetery this past weekend.  Travelling with family, I didn't have a choice of time of day to visit (perhaps a future trip:scratchhead:).  So, with bright early afternoon sunlight, the general scene was like this:

31773321733_efac165a45_o.jpg

How to make something more atmospheric?  First try was to pump ISO up to create a grainy black and white image, including some shadowy areas.

31773324903_fdec0390d0_o.jpg

Then went for one trick for dealing with bright Australian sunshine - infra-red -  although my D7000 isn't anywhere near as good as the old D50.

31773326873_e6b9e63fea_o.jpg

A bit more ghostly, given the slow shutter speeds and the breeze.  

32585214055_469ff58886_o.jpg

The B&W conversions seemed OK, however, when attempting to try some colour conversions, a bit of a problem appeared.

32585212265_441a5b953e_o.jpg

I was expecting the vignetting as I had a 52mm diameter filter on a 67mm diameter lens, but that on the front of the 18-105 produced a big hotspot, particularly if the sun was anywhere other than behind my back!

One last shot in colour.

32585217295_9cc90a8dab_o.jpg

I did try a couple of shots with lower ISO, but they all suffered from the hotspots, so there wasn't any improvement from that.  Well, two things to think about - remembering to drop the 18-55 into the bag if IR is a possibility and I should get round to getting a proper conversion done at some point.

OK, not quite up to Alan's standard, but do they capture the image of the place?

Edited by crowecg
  • Like 2

#3 and #4 are my favorites.  Very nicely done!

Bill

.... it all gets better as we grow younger and thinner.

My first reaction to seeing the cemetery after some idiot thought it would be a good thing to "tidy it up" by removing all the tall trees and bracken that had overgrown the place, and then apparently lose interest before the actually finished doing the job was one of dismay, Chris. I'm afraid the only natural way to get atmosphere out of the place these days with it so fully exposed to the North is to hop into your time machine and whizz back to 1973 or thereabouts. Nearly all of my shots of the cemetery back then were taken facing north, with the sun filtering through the tall pines into the lens. Those trees are gone now. :(

I get a similar attitude in the country areas here as well - locals simply not realising just what a drawcard for city-based tourists things that are, and look, old and decrepit can be. Cities are forever being rebuilt, modernised and tidied, the remoter country areas rapidly becoming the only places you can find "real" old and decay, and the last thing people will travel to see out in the Styx is "neat and tidy and modern". Doing a half-arsed job of "tidying-up" and succeeding in neither is probably the worst outcome, and the Walhalla cemetery is an outstanding example of the latter.

On 30/01/2017 at 12:29, BillM said:

#3 and #4 are my favorites.  Very nicely done!

IR can add that ghostly effect for a cemetery - thanks for looking.

On 30/01/2017 at 14:09, Alan7140 said:

My first reaction to seeing the cemetery after some idiot thought it would be a good thing to "tidy it up" by removing all the tall trees and bracken that had overgrown the place, and then apparently lose interest before the actually finished doing the job was one of dismay, Chris. I'm afraid the only natural way to get atmosphere out of the place these days with it so fully exposed to the North is to hop into your time machine and whizz back to 1973 or thereabouts. Nearly all of my shots of the cemetery back then were taken facing north, with the sun filtering through the tall pines into the lens. Those trees are gone now. :(

I get a similar attitude in the country areas here as well - locals simply not realising just what a drawcard for city-based tourists things that are, and look, old and decrepit can be. Cities are forever being rebuilt, modernised and tidied, the remoter country areas rapidly becoming the only places you can find "real" old and decay, and the last thing people will travel to see out in the Styx is "neat and tidy and modern". Doing a half-arsed job of "tidying-up" and succeeding in neither is probably the worst outcome, and the Walhalla cemetery is an outstanding example of the latter.

Looking on google earth, the trees were still around as recently as 2006.  A few seemed to disappear between then and 2010, with the current state occurring somewhere between 2010 and 2014.

• Like 1