Just about to settle down the for the evening on Sunday, when I spotted this guy in the corner.  (it might actually mean I can give a weekly photo challenge a go for this year...)

31395947993_7aae0e0eb8_o.jpg

White Tail Face 

31395950303_e39fc03406_o.jpg

White Tail 

Looks a bit ugly compared to some of the jumping spiders I've photographed before.  (What is the world coming to when I'm considering the attractiveness of spiders?):crazy:  White tails also apparently have a nasty bite which can cause severe reactions.

Usual set up - Nikon D7000, Tamron SP90, handheld single exposure, on camera flash + LED flash light.

Edited by crowecg
Added weekly challenge tag
  • Like 1

Go for it, Chris! I suggest using a tag like CEWI2017 (Create Every Week In 2017). I can add a menu item under challenges for it. :) 

Nasty little buggers, these white-tails. The only spiders I see in my house that I'll kill on sight, having been bitten on several occasions (usually while in bed asleep - wakes you up, believe me!).

Small, Ann - about an inch or so long (maybe bigger in warmer climes than here), but aside from their mildly venomous but extremely painful bite, they have been associated with transferring Necrotising fasciitis bacterial infection which kills living soft tissue and can spread to the degree that a limb can be lost or even resulting in death in extreme cases.

I have heard it argued that the two are not directly associated, but that it's the length of time it takes one of these bites to heal that allows the necrotising bacteria to establish independently, but I'm not taking any chances and if I see one of these things its dead. Thankfully they are very susceptible to a direct hit of surface spray insecticide, as sometimes they survive attempts to kill them with more physical means. They are extremely tough in that way.

Similar size to what Alan described.  It is probably about as big as they get around my place.  I usually trap bugs around the house and move them out to the back yard - with occasional photos on the way.   Bug spray only comes out when there are large numbers such as lines of ants.

If cockroaches aren't vile enough while crawling, our largest variety has developed the ability to fly too. My Mom used to call them Zeppelins. Last night we had two of them fly into the house while we were watching TV. Needless to say bug spray was on hand and a swift extermination was carried out. :P

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By crowecg
      A number of years ago, I took this photo and really liked the colour and composition, however, it was taken with a 2Mpixel compact, so not too good for enlarging and printing.

D7F_0744 

I did make a return visit to attempt a newer version, but the station was wrapped in scaffolding for renovations.  This time I was more lucky, although a bit later in the evening, so the I completely missed the blue.

D7F_0744 

Another shot from slightly further downstream with the rail line rather than the station as the key element.

D7F_0744 

Quite colourful for a night shot, I think.
    • By crowecg
      Walking back to the station yesterday, I just caught that wonderful dusky light.

DSC_4132 

DSC_4132 

Luckily had a camera with me, but not quite a good enough one.  The noise does start to build up with the J1 at ISO800 and I just couldn't get it steady enough to drop the shutter speed to get down to ISO400.  Also had to crop as the 10-f/2.8 is just too wide in this environment.
    • By crowecg
      Being a little bit further north, I didn't need to stay up quite as late as Alan to indulge in a bit of night photography.

Took a short detour on the way home to grab a few pictures.  I'd seen some possibilities from my usual walk home and went for a closer look.

Eastbound

Westbound 

I think I've posted a few from around here before, but from the opposite side of the road.

Westbound #2 
      This was the shot I headed out for, but the angles didn't quite work this close in with the wider lens.  One to go back for with a longer lens.

Westbound #3 
      And a bit of going wild with the curves.

All shot with Nikon J1 with 10-f/2.8.  I seem to be able to grab shots in such environments with this that I have never managed with the bigger camera.  I guess in part to the short focal length on the small sensor and the electronic shutter.
    • By crowecg
      Really need to make more time to take photographs - and remember to take a camera with me.  

Untitled 

Looking towards Melbourne from Brighton Beach.  Shot with an iPhone.  The detail in the sand looks like a bit over processed to me, but I do tend to find that the phone struggles with soil type pictures (which I tend to shoot a lot of for work).

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.