crowecg

White Tail

6 posts in this topic

Just about to settle down the for the evening on Sunday, when I spotted this guy in the corner.  (it might actually mean I can give a weekly photo challenge a go for this year...)

31395947993_7aae0e0eb8_o.jpg

White Tail Face 

31395950303_e39fc03406_o.jpg

White Tail 

Looks a bit ugly compared to some of the jumping spiders I've photographed before.  (What is the world coming to when I'm considering the attractiveness of spiders?):crazy:  White tails also apparently have a nasty bite which can cause severe reactions.

Usual set up - Nikon D7000, Tamron SP90, handheld single exposure, on camera flash + LED flash light.

Edited by crowecg
Added weekly challenge tag
1 person likes this

Go for it, Chris! I suggest using a tag like CEWI2017 (Create Every Week In 2017). I can add a menu item under challenges for it. :) 

Nasty little buggers, these white-tails. The only spiders I see in my house that I'll kill on sight, having been bitten on several occasions (usually while in bed asleep - wakes you up, believe me!).

Small, Ann - about an inch or so long (maybe bigger in warmer climes than here), but aside from their mildly venomous but extremely painful bite, they have been associated with transferring Necrotising fasciitis bacterial infection which kills living soft tissue and can spread to the degree that a limb can be lost or even resulting in death in extreme cases.

I have heard it argued that the two are not directly associated, but that it's the length of time it takes one of these bites to heal that allows the necrotising bacteria to establish independently, but I'm not taking any chances and if I see one of these things its dead. Thankfully they are very susceptible to a direct hit of surface spray insecticide, as sometimes they survive attempts to kill them with more physical means. They are extremely tough in that way.

Similar size to what Alan described.  It is probably about as big as they get around my place.  I usually trap bugs around the house and move them out to the back yard - with occasional photos on the way.   Bug spray only comes out when there are large numbers such as lines of ants.

If cockroaches aren't vile enough while crawling, our largest variety has developed the ability to fly too. My Mom used to call them Zeppelins. Last night we had two of them fly into the house while we were watching TV. Needless to say bug spray was on hand and a swift extermination was carried out. :P

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By crowecg
      Probably a little bit cliched - a selection of pictures from a recent boat trip on Sydney Harbour.

Sydney18_1 

Sydney18_2

Sydney18_3

Sydney18_4

Sydney18_5 

Sydney18_6 

Sydney18_7 

All taken with Nikon J1 and either 10mm f/2.8 or  AF-S 18-55 DX with FT1 adaptor.
    • By crowecg
      Last few shots from my Townsville trip.  A day out at the local wildlife park.  

To avoid overloading a thread with images, I've split it into mammals, birds and reptiles.

Red Kite

Cocky #1 

Cocky #2 

Frog Mouth

[/url
      ]Magpie Goose - hard landing 

Gosling 
    • By crowecg
      One of the outings  from my recent trip to Townsville, was a day trip to Magnetic Island.

Magnetic Island from Ferry  - actually departing rather than arriving.

The first part of the day was spent visiting some WWII era fortifications built to protect the approach to Townsville.

Fort

This provided spectacular views across some remote beaches below.

Beach #1 

Beach #2

Finally we headed down to a beach ourselves.

Beach #3 

On a quieter corner of the beach were these fascinating sand ball patterns created by miniature crabs.

Sand Balls 

• By crowecg
      Part of my recent Townsville trip involved a day out to Paluma, an area of tropical rainforest.

Rain Forest 

Unfortunately the view from the various lookouts were non-existent, but there were a number of picturesque waterfalls on the lower slopes that were also popular for swimming.

D7E_0142 

D7E_0142 

D7E_0142 
    • By crowecg

We watched the New Year's Eve fireworks from the top of Castle Hill in Townsville.  We could also make out the display at Magnetic Island from that view point too.

Whilst the distance made the display look a little small, the height allowed nice reflections on the water.

Generally used about a 5 second exposure, and with the wider shots, it was possible to see the silhouette of other people on the top of the hill.

A general night view from the top across to Magnetic Island while waiting for the main event to start.

• By crowecg
      Had a few days away in Townsville over the holiday period.  Visited some old friends and did a few day trips to the surrounding areas.

Magnetic Island, named by James Cook on a day his ships compass played up.  Located just off the coast of Townsville and reached by a 20 minute ferry ride.

Inland, the Townsville landscape is dominated by Castle Hill, which sits in the middle of the city.

Castle Hill

The views from Castle Hill are wonderful.

View from the top

There were some nice beaches right in town...

Beach 

But despite the accessibility, warm water and sunshine, they were often deserted......

This time on year they are prone to jelly fish and crocodiles.  There are probably a few sharks out there too.

Given the bright sunlight, a circular polariser was mounted on my camera most of the time.
    • By crowecg
      This big blue machine is edging it's way along the road at the end of my street...

Big Blue #1

And to give it a bit more context....

Big Blue #2 

Big Blue #3 

It's purpose is to lift sections of the viaduct into place.

Big Blue #4 

The purpose is to replace the existing level crossing.

Level Crossing 

It is expected to free up a lot of space for parks, cycle tracks and expansion of the station car parks.

Along the Tracks 

However, the project has got a lot of attention due to the proximity to residential properties.

Residential Street 

The railway has always been just next to these properties, ever since this area was first developed over 100 years ago.  However, the residents were expecting the railway line to go in a cutting, based on based on the initial consultation that the government undertook and the example set by the few previous crossing removal projects.  However, from an engineering view point, this is obviously a good solution which allows disruption to the railway line to be minimised.
    • By crowecg
      After the blazing sun in last weeks pictures, this week - Rain.....

Week 49

D7E_9533 

D7E_9533

D7E_9533 

There were a lot of severe weather warnings about the rain this weekend, but it hasn't come to much - a bit of a wet weekend!   But then again, given the places I've lived in the past, can Melbourne really manage problem rainfall?

• By crowecg
      Getting close to the end!

Actually had a few photo opportunities this last week, such as a day out walking.

Also shooting my son's cricket team

D7E_9421 

• By crowecg
      Another hectic few weeks, so posting two weeks together again.  Also reduced to phone shots too!!

Week 41 

Had to play with the HDR mode to get enough dynamic range  - RAW mode on a DSLR/larger sensor mirrorless would probably have got it all in one go and just needed a bit of exposure & curve adjustment.