Alan7140

Something highly unusual today

Get this - pen, diary, camera in leather case, no phone. :)

8k60Jnt.jpg

Beautiful, smart young lady. Sanity still exists, it would appear.

X-T2, 90/2 @ f/2.0

• Like 4

Super photo Alan, no phone that you can see! :D

:D I did see her later with a phone, but she still used her camera to take photos, and the thought of someone sitting in a cafe and actually writing with pen and paper and not banging away on the keyboard of a laptop is all but unheard of these days...

• Like 1

Nicely seen and composed.  It is hard to find anyone without a smartphone these days.

Good girl. I've kind of joined the rebellion myself. Read more

57 minutes ago, DDFZ said:

I've gone one better - I've discontinued my mobile phone altogether. The service here has been getting increasingly complex with stupid bundles and plans, at the same time the reception coverage has been getting worse and more erratic, the remedy apparently being only to buy yet another $500+ phone.

So I baulked - back in 1995 I came to Tasmania with a "bagphone" fitted with a connector to the car, and which worked nearly everywhere. Now I can't seem to get reliable service at all with an almost new Sony Smartphone. So I figure I made it through life for the first 40-odd years without a mobile phone, I can make it through the last however many years are left without a mobile phone..... the smartphone now sits permanently in a home-made cradle on the night table with the sole purpose being to supply an internet radio alarm via my home network with an app displaying weather info when the radio alarm is off. It doesn't even have a simm card in it (although emergency calls can be made, and oddly enough there is reception for those).

Phones would have to be the biggest rip-off that the tech industry currently has going for it.

• Like 1

Phones seem to be the Swiss Army knife for the 21st century.  And like the knives, people seem obsessed about how many things it can do, rather than how well it can do things.

• Like 3

I was just browsing through the reams of junk mail that accompanies our weekly community newspaper and it struck me that the majority of items advertised by the majority of retailers are all electronic goods. Society spends so much money on this crap that I am surprised there is any money left over in our economy for anything else. 

Never mind the phone it is a great shot, tells a story in my mind!

• Like 1

On 12/14/2016 at 05:49, DDFZ said:

I do the same, load data only if I need remote access to internet, and have it off until I really need it.

Nice find Alan, seems like a little panasonic ... 

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Camera is a little Pana GF2, Armando, with full leather case; the young lady clearly likes nostalgia! :)

With 20 minutes left on the parking meter to go I had decided to drop into Jackman & McRoss for a coffee and this shot presented at the other side of the room.

In order to remain inconspicuous I shot from under the table, however I thought the out-of-focus furniture in the foreground added to, rather than detracted from the shot by further emphasising the location as being a café. This was also a shot that nearly failed from my inattention - I had been using the nX-T2 in full manual mode at 100 ISO previous to this to explore raw processing at that sub-native speed setting (something denied with the X-T1), and forgot to change it - the DR at 100 ISO is woeful, and the background is truly blown - as in no colour in the highlight areas whatsoever. It took deft processing to pull things into shape.

I chose the 90mm lens at f/2 to isolate her (focussed manually on the flip screen), and was unprepared for the fantastic swirly bokeh that resulted behind and which I then deliberately kept in the cropped shot.

Here's a table-top pano of the room taken with the 10-24mm lens @ 10mm just to locate things; that's her in the background, centre-left, by the door, and this shows just how completely blown-out was the background. (A couple of guys had been seated at the table in the middle when I took the shot as well)

ChMcJJj.jpg

I really like the first one ... you captured a good moment and the chair is just hiding enough but not too much ... interesting image ...

• Like 1

Thanks, Chris. The second one was just done to post in social media for a couple of friends from the other side of Australia who absolutely must visit this café/bakery every time they visit Tasmania. No words were necessary other than the title "Jealous, much?" - the responses (in typical Aussie humour style) were, respectively: "Bugger Off!" and "BASTARD!".

It is a really special little establishment, hidden and unknown to many tourists and locals alike, but the coffee and food are exceptional, and extremely well priced.

• Like 1

I truly like your first photo Alan. It is indeed almost impossible to see young people without playing on the phone.

The XF 90mm renders beautiful foreground and background bokeh.

2 hours ago, aerobat said:

I truly like your first photo Alan. It is indeed almost impossible to see young people without playing on the phone.

The XF 90mm renders beautiful foreground and background bokeh.

Indeed, that is one of the endearing qualities of the lens - the way it provides pleasing bokeh in both the foreground and background. Fuji really nailed the formula with their design on this. Most lenses I've used would render a foreground like this as a tangled mess of doubled-up, out of focus images.

I certainly don't miss seeing a phone!  Decent shot, a little obstructed, but I think that it might be the way you planned it. Good exposure considering the bright area behind her.