The Swede

My new watch;)

5 posts in this topic

Nicely done. This shot must be looked at in the large version - the thumbnail makes it look a bit confusing, but viewed large the bokeh softens and the watch stands out nicely without destroying the mechanical feel of the background.

Beautifully controlled and lit product shot.

There's a bit of distracting dirt or scuffing on the rim at 10-o'clock that maybe could be cloned out, though.

1 person likes this

Kind of really like the seashell iteration also...

Very nice rendering indeed...

Excellent compositional elements...

Food for thought...

Virtually all commercial watch imagery has the chronometer set to 10:11am

But don't take my word for it, browse your favorite high end magazines i.e. VOGUE etc.

The reason is blatantly obvious... to form a "V" around the brand's logo...

This requirement is cast in stone and has remained an advertising agency prerequisite for decades...

As always in commercial work the devil is in the details...

Thank you for sharing...

1 person likes this

Agree, Thomas - that's what we were always instructed - 10:11:38 from memory, but I've noticed some watch ads in recent years that no longer do that so rigorously, I guess because watches often have so much on the dial these days that to do so might obscure something important.

It's many years since I left advertising so am out of the loop by now, but I remember what a pain setting that 38 seconds was if a second hand was present in watches we couldn't stop such as automatics, or those where we couldn't remove the battery at the precise moment to stop it and that didn't have a stopwatch function. Trying to get the camera and flash to fire at the exact moment was all but impossible with either 5x4 or the Hasselblad. :) Once an art director pulled the back off in frustration and seized the watch at the right time by jamming a small wad of Blu-Tack into the works. I don't know who paid for that, but the watch would have been a write-off. Most times we were sent inoperative watches pre-set by the manufacturer, though.

Just recently I noticed an official Rolex illustration ad where the hands were 5:16:39, which really made me think that the old formula had become optional - an illustrator could put the hands wherever he was told to. But back in the day it really was cast in stone, that's for sure.

1 person likes this

Very nice image. I learned about watch photography reading this thread - the small details really do make the shot! My only suggestion for what I see is to do something with the upper area of the image, which seems to be clutter compared to the rest. Maybe it just needs to be better lit?  Btw what's stopping one from choosing other times to make other shapes? :)

1 person likes this