Dallas

Headshots with one light and the Sigma 60/2.8 Art

I have developed a way of shooting corporate headshots with a single light (ok, in this case I did have a second speedlight kicking in a bit of the shadows) and the Sigma 60mm f/2.8 Art which I purchased a while ago. This lens is astonishingly good for the low cost and if you are using micro four thirds you really should add it to your kits. 

_M1A1920.jpg

_M1A1919.jpg

_M1A1916.jpg

_M1A1927.jpg

• Like 1

I like the results.

Did you cutout the BG?

Is 120mm equiv not a bit long for indoors?

Regenerate green infrastructure. Let Biodiversity rule!

I blog at: http://klimafarm.com/

Not really a cutout - I bought a black/white collapsible background for these types of shots. Sometimes I light it if there is space, but other times (like here) I bring it up in post. 

Oh, the working length for these shots was about 3m, so you do need a bit of room (usually a boardroom or meeting room works fine). I prefer it to the 40mm length of the 12-40/2.8 PRO. 

image.jpegHere's the set.

Sorry, stupid iPhone has rotated it and I can't adjust in Fotozones. :( 

While maybe not a ultimate solution for a makeup artist you might consider using Oil-Absorbing Rice Blotting Tissues to kill sheen in the talent's T-Zone...

If you have issues with getting physical with your clients simply demonstrate on your own T-Zone... then have them do likewise...

And if you're clueless as to what Oil-Absorbing Rice Blotting Tissues are just make a trip to your local high end makeup counter (here that would be in Lord and Taylor, Neiman Marcus, Macy's, Bloomingdale's, Saks Fifth Avenue, etc.

Rice Blotting Paper is cheap and it kills that shine on the nose/forehead effectively

Dallas this can/will make a huge difference in taming exposure latitude issues...

On commercial corporate videos I'm hired primarily to assure T-Zones are tamed but I typically use an anti-shine primer in conjunction with a mattifying powder... 

Yep, a shoot through umbrella is my modifier of choice for quick/easy/effective location shoots...

Might try varying the distance from the source to the umbrella to attain various lighting effects...

Also I will double/triple diffuse the source to allow a softer wrap illumination effect...

In portraiture soft is good except for dramatic hard side lighting (typically used on male talent)

Hope this makes sense...

Thank you for sharing, albeit I was thinking about a lit' dramamine in order to study your lighting configuration... lol

• Like 1

Thanks for your input, Thomas, always appreciated. 

I do these shots as quickly and easily (read: cheaply) as I can. These are all accountants who do freelance work as CFO's for a CFO Temping agency (yes, I had no idea such a thing existed). I was supposed to photograph 8 of them but only 4 pitched up and they were in the middle of a meeting, so wanted to get it over with ASAP. Can't say I have ever heard of the ones you mentioned, but I will definitely try and get some form of tissues to help with this. Thanks!