Dallas

How Do You Store Your Digital Archives?

Ann, thank you for the detailed response.

I will never achieve your level of efficiency and expertise, but even at 200 per hour, 13,000 images equate to 65 hours.

I think the real message for me is to limit my independent refinements to the 5 star images, just as you do.  At the moment, I try to refine each keeper, which is just too many to deal with.

As I will never achieve your speed of operation, I will stick with the raw + jpeg fine plan for the time being, so that when there are images worth individual attention I will have the time available to deal with them properly.

It would be sad to run out of images to process, no chance of that fortunately!

• Like 1

At Christmas the wife and I both moved from MacBooks to a combo of iPad Pro plus iMac.   Now I am wrapping up that move by hooking up new DAS.   We each had LaCie 2Big 6TB that have 2 Seagate 3TB configured into RAID 0 of 6TB.   We also had a LaCie d2 6TB with a single Seagate drive for Time Machine backups.

The new config for each of us is WD My Book Duo 8TB with 2 WD Red drives configured in RAID 0.   The new TM backup drive is a WD My Book 8TB.  The new RAID set gives read/write speeds in the 330+ range while the LaCie RAID was in the 220 range.   The Duo box connects to the iMac with a USB-C cable running USB 3.1 gen1 (5Gbps).  The My Book hooks to the one of the two USB 3 ports on the back of the Duo.  So only one iMac port needed for both enclosures.

We are not taking the next step which would be cloud backups or a backup copy offsite.  

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.