Dallas

Amazing Cape Town Astrophotography Image

I came across this article on a feed and thought it was worth sharing. This young South African photographer has made an incredible image of the Milky Way above Cape Town, from atop Table Mountain. Read the article to see how he did it with... an Olympus EM-10 and kit lens! 

link to article

I will be sharing more of the stuff I find on this board, I encourage you all to do the same. Let's get the conversations going again on this slick new platform. :) 

CPT-Milky-Pano-1-of-1-janik-alheit-milky-way.jpg

Image shared with permission from Janik.

This form of photograph is becoming almost a generic thing - personally I cannot for the life of me understand why the proponents of this "style" feel the compelling need to include themselves in the picture. It really is selfie-gone-mad stuff.

The picture of the clouds and Cape Town along with the Milky Way is plenty dramatic enough without the goofy inclusion of the photographer's arms outstretched silhouette bang slap in the middle of it, which totally ruins it for me.

The other cliché that seems to be cropping up everywhere in these galaxy shots is the equally goofy one of the photographer in shot with headlamp shining towards the heavens. As if a 3W LED headlamp is going to reveal anything pointed in that direction.... er, not with a range of maybe 50 metres it ain't! :)

I like the inclusion in the shot - it lends a bit of drama. 

I guess we all have our own tastes and definitions of clichés. Don't get me started on wedding photography clichés... :) 

If it were the first time someone did this, then fair enough, but the outstretched arms and particularly the headlamp thing (as in other photos) is now so overdone that it really does qualify for "cliché" as a categorisation. Just scroll down this arbitrary search on such images:

Google search and Google Search 2

While I've seen dozens of night images with both the outstretched arms and/or the headlamps, I've never seen anything like that Cape Town, clouds and Milky Way shot before, hence my comment. The selfie aspect draws away from the shot, I reckon, by adding something unnecessary, even distracting.

Having shot more than my own fair share of multi-row panos I really do appreciate the difficulty in landing that tricky shot so well in the first place, let alone the lengths they went to get the shot, and a version of that frame without the body as an option would probably have been nice.

I see what you mean! 

Yes, I suppose that some ideas get old very quickly. There's this shot I am seeing in almost every wedding photographer's portfolio these days of the bride and groom at night backlit by a speedlight, kissing under an umbrella. Every. Single. Wedding. Photographer. In. Town. Is Copying. That. Image.

This is why my wedding photography offer does not include this thing known as the "creative shoot". I just won't copy any other photographer's shots. I shoot what I see and hopefully the things that make my images special won't ever be able to be copied. 

• Like 1

Impressive image !!

A couple of years ago , capturing the milky way was novel, today seems everybody does it , in this shot I really like the bottom part , the clouds the mountains and even the guy stretching his arms :)

Regards,

Armando

1 hour ago, DDFZ said:

I see what you mean! 

Yes, I suppose that some ideas get old very quickly. There's this shot I am seeing in almost every wedding photographer's portfolio these days of the bride and groom at night backlit by a speedlight, kissing under an umbrella. Every. Single. Wedding. Photographer. In. Town. Is Copying. That. Image.

This is why my wedding photography offer does not include this thing known as the "creative shoot". I just won't copy any other photographer's shots. I shoot what I see and hopefully the things that make my images special won't ever be able to be copied. 

The copying thing is really becoming endemic, a lot of which is probably due to people new to the art seeing something they like and then trying to do a similar thing. While this is and always has been a good way to learn, the sheer quantity of digital cameras and phones around means that the numbers of these attempts can become overwhelmingly profuse in very short order. With instant distribution available via social media, saturation of something is reached in a matter of hours or days, not in the months or years it used to take to spread world-wide.

To my way of thinking, originality is the key to getting both the best shots and the most satisfaction from photography, so in that I certainly agree. It's also the hardest thing to do, where rather than heading out with someone else's image in mind and trying to emulate that, one looks at scenes and situations as they unfold in front of you and try to see a photograph in them. I liken it to the difference between playing a song you've heard on an instrument, and composing an original song from scratch on that instrument. The latter is more difficult by a huge degree.

Thanks for posting this image and link. I don't mind the guy included in the picture but sure this is getting overused.

The cool thing of the story is that he had to revert to the backup camera with slow lens and make it work.

He certainly did a good job.

• Similar Content

• By Mebyon K
      Another attempt at landscape photography, any comments are welcomed.

• By Mebyon K
      Taken at Weymouth in August last year. I'm an inexperienced landscape photographer and I would like to know what others, who are more experienced, think of this. An unmodified, except for the removal of half a dozen navigation buoys, sooc jpeg taken with my then new X-H1, and the 16-55 f2.8 zoom.

• By Rick59
      Picture was taken in the morning with some fog in front of the dunes.

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.