JPMi

Mercury transit 2016

post-7998-0-59293500-1462809652_thumb.jp

Mercury and sunspots.

Sigma 150-600 Sport with Baader AstroSolar filter.

Very well captured.  I do see the Mercury, crisp and sharp!

Jan-Peter, that's quite a sight! Amazing that the sun doesn't simply obliterate that little planet with its proximity. Must be made of diamonds or something even harder! :) Thanks for sharing. 

That is impressive from a general purpose tele zoom indeed. At first glance I thought it might be an astronomical telescope capture.

Really well done.

Thanks for looking.

Great capture, thanks for sharing it!

I have owned several tele zoom lenses through the years, but this is the best one by far. Also the most expensive.

The 36 megapixel files from the D810 gives ample room for cropping, and this is less than 10% of the entire image.

The disk of the sun is about the same angle as the moon (hence total eclipses).  The big challenge shooting the sun is therefore the filtration.  I was lucky enough to grab a shot of the transit of Venus a couple of years back, which I took with a 90mm lens on APS-C sensor  because that lens had the filter thread size which allowed me to stack the most filters.  Unfortunately it is 101 years until that comes around again.  There will be another transit of Mercury in around 3 years, with another dozen before Venus gets to do it again.