armando_m

Red beak tropicalbird - landing

Beautiful bird, elegant body and tail shape against the dark background.

• Like 1

WOW!  Totally awesome!!!

Pic of the Week for sure...

Love this...  Inspirational...

Perfect timing Armando...

The D800's AF combined with your skillful hands have yielded a breathtaking vision of considerable merit...

Thank you for sharing...

• Like 1

wonderful image. Beautifully fluid - poetry in motion. Excellent against a black background for this subject.

Interesting species too. Mongo recently sought out and photographed the red - tailed tropic bird from a small coral island off the coast off the Australian east coast.

• Like 1

A most unusual (and inspiring) bird shot, Armando! 

• Like 1

Wonderful natural cutout. Lighting perfectly models the form and features of the specimen. Wow.

• Like 1

Regenerate green infrastructure. Let Biodiversity rule!

I blog at: http://klimafarm.com/

Thank you for such wonderful comments !!!

Bob, Given the amazing quality of your bird shots, getting kudos from you is very significant

Frank, sunlight is also bounced of the rock below the bird, the rock is white from bird droppings 

Dallas Thank you !  for selecting my image for the inspired by column

Mongo, the bird was kind enough to fly in front of this opening on the wall a couple of times giving me the opportunity to capture a few decent images, I like the elegant form of the bird with the long feathers on it's tail

Thomas, when I saw the bird against the dark background my finger got a bit crazy on the trigger :) 

Anthony , very kind of you for taking the time to leave a comment, much appreciated

Regards,

Armando

Excellent.

• Like 1

Armando,

you won't ever repeat this shot , I hope it gives you as much pleasure

as it will to others, fantastic!

cheers

tony

• Like 1

tony: what a special place.

Regenerate green infrastructure. Let Biodiversity rule!

I blog at: http://klimafarm.com/

Absolutely wonderful.

cheers

afx

• Like 1

"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Arca plates compatibility matrix // sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad // Images on images.afximages.com

this is the most insprining bird shot I remember

• Like 1

Thomas

Alan, Tony , Ann, 56DIN, 

Thanks so much for your comments!

When we went looking for the birds , we found a few in their nests, which are in holes on the wall, difficult to see, and the shots are only so so, as we were to leave the place, which requires  a bit of rock climbing and accessible only with low tide, one of the birds was hiding among the rocks at ground level, I stepped a little to close for it's comfort so it flew  with a loud screeching noise startling me and the guy walking in front of me, the bird flew back and forth a few times, my first series of shots were out of focus, switched from AF-C S to AF-C D51 and voila, things worked 

• Like 2

Regards,

Armando

"...switched from AF-C S to AF-C D51 and voila, things worked..."

Points well take... thank you for sharing this technical savvy & wisdom...

Rest assured your applied knowledge is enlightening thus greatly appreciated...

"...switched from AF-C S to AF-C D51 and voila, things worked..."

Points well take... thank you for sharing this technical savvy & wisdom...

Rest assured your applied knowledge is enlightening thus greatly appreciated...

Thomas, 

It is not really  a secret, the information is on the nikon user manual, under AF-C focus area mode, it is there since I had the D300 in 2010, I've used the D800 since 4/2012, but really didn't know how to use these modes until somewhere around middle of last year , that is 5 yrs!! 

I've read the manual more than once , so either I'm quite dumb , do not practice enough,  the manual is a bit obscure, or a combination of the three :)

Cheers!

Regards,

Armando

Thanks Ann, I have the AF set to the AF-ON button ... since the D300 

Very useful once you get used to it.

Regards,

Armando

Armando, believe you misunderstood my kudos on D51 point tracking...

Wasn't referring to availability selection but rather knowing WHEN to use it...

I initially deployed it on my D300 with mixed results... the 1,005-area metering sensors just aren't up to fast action on the D300 and had a bad habit of locking on the closest object... unacceptable... However the D3 change that equation considerably with it's much faster throughput... D51 is indeed useable with the D3 albeit it still is somewhat crippled by a compelling desire to lock the closest object... Believe each iteration of the Multi-CAM system combined with newer versions of Nikon's EXPEED processor yields massive gains in focus tracking... obviously your newer d800 throughput is again higher...

Bottom Line?  D51 AF-C is stellar for BIF against a clear background in which it can easily lock and track.... Not so good with shooting fast action with a field of complex subject matter in close proximate... In this case professional sports shooterS such as Masanobu Ikenohira of Japan (motorsport) relies instead on 9 point to track an individual motorcyclist in a crowed group as they enter a turn... His work is amazing!

That said, it really isn't straightforward as set it and forget it... My experience is assigning the type of tracking is best determine by actually trial/error for each lighting/action scenario.

Another MAJOR Issue is AF-C priority selection (a strong proponent of Focus since any want of sharp focus is instant reject however have been experimenting with Release + focus but will never use the default of Release (what was Nikon thinking here?).  Also Focus tracking with lock-on... btw, the D3 differs from the D3x here... Nikon optimized the D3 for sports allowing more advanced Focus tracking parameters...  Then there are buffer and fps issues... where choice of 12-bit verses 14-bit comes into play... this list goes on and on...

No easy answers here thus I always keep my ear to the ground... Your Red beak tropicalbird capture is another cherished piece in a HUGE puzzle on mastery of the capture device I currently use... to this end again many thanks... btw was this with 51 points or 3D 51 points?  :)

Ann Back-Button focus has to be the best thing since sliced bread for sports and wildlife...

But it's not endearing to studio work where the want of a reassuring "beep" on focus lock is paramount in the low ambient of modeling lamps... I'm always AF-S in the studio...

And you're right... there is a considerable learning curve here...

So steep that few hobbyist adopt it...  especially if they are only shooting landscape/travel or similar...

However nearly all wedding shooters I assist use it...

And to be honest, I do not know of a single commercial sports shooter who doesn't use it...

Good stuff.... hope your post inspires others to venture into Back-Button...  thanks!

• Like 1

Thomas,

Your explanation made me recall why I hated trying to use AF-C on the D300,I use to get better result using AF-S and placing the center focus point on the BIF , also while the shutter release set to FOCUS, it was quite an exercise , with a low % of keepers

On the D800 I have enabled a small number of focus point, 11 , it is the smallest possible selection

The AFC mode says D51 only, the manual list other modes like D9 , D21, 3D , AUTO and S
I used to select 3D  for BIF with mixed results, I seem to recall a behavior similar to what you describe , ignoring whatever it was tracking and locking on something closer 
D51 changed that, it does actually track the BIF accurately

Regards,

Armando

Armando, that is a stunner of an image.  Interesting conversation on the Focus.  I have not really experimented with the different settings for some time.  I just use Af-on button and 9pts AF-C most of the time and go to 21 against open sky.  I'll have to give 51 a try before my no so good birding season ends this month.

Many thanks for sharing the image.

Tom

• Like 1