Dallas

Should FZ return to being primarily about MILC systems?

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should FZ return to being about MILC systems?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not concerned either way

When I started this forum a few years ago I had it in mind that it would be a site about mirrorless cameras. Things took off quite well and it got busy to the point where FZ was chasing hard on the heels of NG (which was still separate at the time) as far as traffic and interest goes. It was at that point when I began to notice that interest in NG was declining and because there was nobody interested in buying it, the merge with FZ happened. 

As we all know that was a big mistake. It didn't work out and the result is history. NG is now running as a new adventure with Bjørn and Co and they seem to be doing OK. This leaves FZ kind of "all at sea" because it isn't being seen as a site with any specific focus. There are many general photography forums out there and many places where people can upload their images for feedback, so what is FZ bringing to the table? 

I'd like to propose that we go back to being a community that is primarily intended to explore and discover more about mirrorless camera systems. In other words the way we were when it first started and people were not confused about what the site stood for. So I'm opening this thread to hear some feedback from you guys as to whether you think that would be a welcome return. 

I know that there are some DSLR users on here who are not interested in mirrorless cameras but who do like to participate. What would this mean to you? Please know that if such a return to the original purpose of the site were to be implemented it wouldn't mean that you were no longer free to participate on FZ. It just means that the gear discussions would predominantly and officially be about MILC systems and not DSLR. I would still welcome any photographic contributions regardless of what camera was used to make them. 

I'd love to hear the thoughts of all active members regarding this possibility. 

• Like 1

Hm, 83 views and no comments yet. I voted No. The question is what would you (Dallas) like to achieve with a move to milc? More traffic to FZ? I actually like the "hardware mix" on FZ. What I don't like are the non-relevant dslr vs milc remarks and discussions popping up in topics. By moving to milc only we would however lose a fair deal of contributions from valued members like Ann, Ron, Armando, Thomas, Aquinaldo, Tony, Bob and others. There's no escape from discussions about gear, such is the technical basis of photography nowadays. I think we, the members of Fotozones, should do what's within our power to contribute to this community. Be it with postings, images, articles or clicking on ads. Best of all a combination of these :D

• Like 3

Fotozones is about people I meet here.

Equipment is a topic between us. Not important.

Most important, Dallas: stop trying to make a living from this site. Get a cheaper hoster, sell some subscription, find members who help you with the technicals.

love

Frank

Plus. I shoot with everything from Smartphones to Sinar Monorail P2. Equipment is not important.

...as long as you got the right equipment for the shot you want to take

• Like 4

Regenerate green infrastructure. Let Biodiversity rule!

I blog at: http://klimafarm.com/

No keep it camera non specific!

• Like 1

Mike Gorman

Lumix G9 , GX8 - Leica 12, 15, 20, 25, 42.5 - 8-18, 12-35, 12-60, 35-100, 45-175

I am afraid that participation is on the wane and there seems to be nothing that I can do about it. An example, only 4 votes for the Pic Of The Month initiative. It implies that either the idea is a crap one or that nobody is really that interested in participating beyond posting their images every now and then. 

I want the site to thrive, not stagnate. Show me how to make that happen, folks. What can I do to make this work? I have even considered stepping down as the editor and letting somebody else take the reins while I potter in the background. 

A committee would require active member participation and that's something that's lacking recently. I guess our first goal should be more site traffic before we can afford the luxury of quality criteria. Just being honest, I value your input Vivion.

• Like 2

Luc, the committee idea is something I would really like to investigate. I would rather pass over complete control over community activity to a self-organising committee than try and do this on my own unsuccessfully. If there are enough members who would like to take on that mantle I will be happy to provide FZ as a self-managing platform to the committee. 

On the idea of member participation. We all buy gear on a more or less regular basis. Would it be an idea to introduce two new forum sections 1) recent buys (GAS) and 2) (mini) review of recent buys ?

• Like 1

As I say, I'm open to letting a committee of FZ core users become the authority over what we have going on here, including new boards, etc. The thing with new boards (and I have seen this happen too many times in the 10 years I have been doing this) is that they get a few posts and then just fizzle out. This is why I have merged a lot of the boards to keep the clutter to a minimum. 

However, it is easy to use something like that as a tag which when clicked on collects all the other posts with the same tag. 

A few posts is most likely not bound to happen with new acquisitions (don't tell our partners!) I know other sites where posts on new acquisitions are among the most popular ones, hence my suggestion. Tagging doesn't seem to work for FZ, I'm one of a few who seem to tag their image posts.

Dallas,
As long as I can post photos, receive comments and comment on the photos of others, the "theme" of the site is really immaterial to me. I'm not buying Digital cameras with or without mirrors anyway and so truly don't pay attention to those fora or discussions.
Within those broad parameters, I suggest you do what is best for you first, and the site second, as long as you don't adopt the silly, goody two-shoes "we try to be as bland and vanilla as we can" philosophy of Nikon Café.

Edited by rbsinto
  • Like 1

I shoot film. That's film. F...i....l....m. You remember film don't you? It was in all the papers.

I agree with the comments and suggestions posted, perhaps my experiences will have bearing - for what it's worth...

My personal digital photographic journey started in 2006

I decided to go with Nikon with a D70S to take on a cross country moto trip,

Subsequent travel mirrored my camera ownership with a D90, D200, D700, D300S, and lenses from 16mm to 500mm

During that period of NAS I was very engaged with various online forums included Nikongear and Nikonians to less of a degree; at the cost to my motorcycle forums attendance.

It was a learning experience and I was interested in learning and spent a lot of time online (ask my bride)

Most of the equipment is now gone and now that I know everything (just kidding) I spend less time online

I no longer have NAS and only a little interest in new gear

That said, the camera (& my interest) has brought me around the world (looking forward to Tibet, Nepal and Bhutan in April) and enriched my life and to a lesser degree my brides

I come to FZ to BS with old online friends, post some jokes get some chuckles with people who are considerate of each other; it's a good community

Reflections of FZ include: Dallas made some mistakes he probably wishes he could take back. I think he might have made the site too personal.

But it might not have mattered.. The cam business is changing and image excellence doesn't seem as important as it once was, so we may be dinosaurs

Additionally, a commercially successful website is a lot harder to develop nowadays, so maybe expectations should be adjusted

I wish you luck Dallas, you've put a lot of work in here

Rags

• Like 1

Ann, I'm sure many FZ members would love to read your opinion on the D5 and view your images shot with it. I sense Dallas is kind of tired writing content for FZ and launching new ideas. We can help him, also to the interest of our fellow FZ members.

• Like 2

I voted not concerned either way

I can remember a few MILC users, Dallas, Alan , Anthony , and now Mike, I sure I'm missing a few
DSLR users, I can probably list more

When I get asked what camera to get by newbies , I tell them  that ANY modern camera will be great, and that any camera will require plenty of practice, study and experimentation, and these three I have been able to grow and increase thanks to my participation in FZ, where knowledgeable people with a keen interest in photography freely share their thoughts, knowledge  and experiences

• Like 2

Regards,

Armando

Me too!

If it had not been for the purchase of my D3, I would never have found NG (and subsequently FZ too) and would not have even thought of going to Africa (and am about to return for I think, the seventh time!);

and certainly not on setting-out  to explore the rain forests of Borneo, Malaysia and Singapore on my own (which I will be doing in June).

Have just fixed to stay for an extra few days at a Lodge next-door to the Orang Utan Rehab. Centre near Sepilok and in an area where I can go trekking in the jungle at night looking for lemurs etc — which should exercise the high ISO capabilities of my new D5 considerably.

Sounds exciting Ann

Again I want to thank you for exposing me to PS which has added to the evolution of my camera experience

I look forward to your shots, but as we both know, the experience is more than shots

Enjoy

Rags

I usually don't get involved in discussions of photographic gear other than computers and software.  It is also possible to be focused on mirrorless cameras without excluding the dslr crowd.

I agree, I have both

Rags

I completely disagree.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, not some soi-disant committee!

I would make it MORE difficult to have images accepted for upload. Without going to the extremes of 1x.com, images should be looked at by a committee and have to pass certain defined quality criteria before being accepted.

This would introduce an element of challenge. "Image of the week" or "Image of the month" could continue.

• Like 1

Fuji X-T2 (2), 16/1.4, 23/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 18-55; X30

http://merlinemrysphoto.com

blog.evening-sun.com

If you want to increase participation, do not drive people away. Attract people.

This is not a rumor site

Not a photo showcase

Not a photo equipment test site

This is a meeting point for wonderful people who share a common interest.

• Like 4

Regenerate green infrastructure. Let Biodiversity rule!

I blog at: http://klimafarm.com/

Folks, here are some things you can do to help FZ; 

- write some more interesting stories (they can be about anything to do with photography)

- tell other people about us by using the social media links if you are on FB/Twitter/G+ (or do it the old fashioned way and invite somebody you know). 

- support the ad program. I'm being 100% honest with you here. If that program fails FZ will disappear. I cannot afford to pay for these server costs out of my own pocket. You may have seen what the Rand has done against the USD these past few months. It is a heavy burden for me to bear and it doesn't go away. It hits me in the pocket on the 25th of every month. 

- if you have been on safari with me please post more of your photos here. Post one every day! Post them on other forums and tell those people how you came to be on safari in Africa. 

- if you have a contact with a company that makes anything to do with photography ask them if they would be interested in buying some ad space. It's cheaper to advertise with me directly than it is via Google. 

- if you come across some new piece of kit that others might be interested in, let's contact the manufacturer and see if they would supply a sample for one of our members to review. This happens more often than you'd care to know and quite often the person gets to keep the items. 

I was serious about my suggestion of letting somebody else take the reins. I have to focus more of my attention on my photography and website development business so I simply can't be here as often as I have in the past. Maybe we can have somebody do 3 month rotations as the Editor? Use the platform. Make it even more special. 

I would think that the best way to keep this particular website going is to let the members establish the unique character of this forum through natural and spontaneous developments of the discussions and selections of topics.  Trying to control something can always create awkward atmosphere and can be a major cause of trouble.

I think we are all aware that the most heated (in a rather negative sense) discussions have been about MLIC vs. DSLR.  You see, that's why four letter words are not supposed to be used in public!  :devil:

I love machines and thus I love gear talk, but it is always on condition that the resulted images are interesting, excellent, inspiring, beautiful, eye-opening, funny, experimental or of anything emotionally stimulating.

• Like 1

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

Keep it as a photography site. That includes all photographic styles and types and all of the equipment used to produce them.

Maybe a bit more on the moderation side of things to keep things on topic, although by and large that isn't normally such a problem here, but there have been occasions lately where things have got so far off-topic that the original post and its intent were completely lost.

The potential of a bit of discomfort from moderator interference is probably worth avoiding the angst that can get stirred up when things spiral out of control.

• Like 2

I think a general photography theme is too broad. If I am looking for information regarding bird photography, I get much more specific info and help and learn much more from a bird-specific forum vs a general photography forum.

I have a similar issue regarding Nikon DSLR vs my mirrorless cameras. I had originally subscribed to NG for that purpose and was really thrown for a loop with the merger.  So I voted for FZ to be MILC.because I have so many different issues when using my 2 different camera systems.

Edited by joel1952
  • Like 1