rosko

Cranes at dusk.

post-12458-0-44088900-1452699613_thumb.jEnd of the days. Bed time for this birds...

Thanks for looking.

Edited by rosko
  • Like 1

Wonderful compositional elements... albeit agree with Ann... post processing isn't up to the majesty latent within this beautiful capture...

Actually looks as though it was done in 8 bit color space rather than 16 bit...  back in the day, 8 bit was notorious for banding... 16 bit pretty much removed banding from the table... 

Since I don't use GIMP I'm clueless as to offer counsel here... Possibly not using Auto White Balance especially during the "golden hour"  might help... Are you shooting in RAW? If so work in 16 bit until the very end of your workflow a.k.a. when you convert to .jpg

btw, unless you calibrate you monitor you'll not be able to deal effectively with color casts ...  I also typically shoot a white card if there is mixed lighting... that way you can easily handle color casts in post...

But then again there is always "convert to B&W" which is my parachute when things go south... lol

Hope this helps...

Thank you for sharing..

Edited by Thomas Van Dyke
  • Like 1

Ann, Thomas and Andrew, I am grateful to you to take time and analyse my image.

@Ann, Thomas ; I didn't sharpen anything, but I completely messed up the processing step. I won't blame Gimp, but just explain briefly how I misused this software :

The blue part of the sky were actually white burned zones ! So I tried to arrange the colours by turning the white into blue and smearing with ''smudge'' tool the intermediate areas between blue and grey.

I admit that I need some training courses in processing -mostly with colours-, this is my weakness.

I'll try to redo it, so the result will be be very different. ::) .

However, I was very tired when I made this job. I should have done it after a good rest...

Thanks again for your time spent to explain.

Andrew, thanks for commenting. I am glad you like it although it's not quite the result I wanted to obtain, mostly the sky. ;)

.....and with Gimp you have no option but to be working in 8-bit, which will definitely predispose your images to showing posterised effects when bumping contrast in images that have subtle tone gradations - like sunsets.

Gimp have been promising 16-bit for years now, allegedly with Gimp 3.0, but the release has also been stuck on 2.8 for years now so I wouldn't hold my breath on that ever happening.

Although not free, there are a couple of 16/32-bit image editors that aren't too expensive which might be worth trying the 30-day demos of to see if they fit your requirements better than Gimp:

Sagelight ($39.95 - one-time only payment at the moment)

http://www.sagelighteditor.com/

and

PhotoLine (€59, pay for upgrades €29)

http://www.pl32.com/

PhotoLine is a lot more complicated than Sagelight, but is a two-man effort to produce a Photoshop-type program in functional ability, although the interface can be confusing to regular Photoshop users (I guess done to avoid copyright lawsuits from Adobe).

Corel Paint Shop Pro is perhaps the traditional Photoshop equivalent, although they really dumbed it down a few years ago and it is only just now getting back to being a proper editor again (and not just a bunch of amateurish presets). It is more expensive and does upgrade more frequently which is also expensive, but it doesn't work on the same rental system as Photoshop CC - yet - so you don't have to upgrade. Miss one upgrade, though, and you have to pay full price for the next version.

Edited by Alan7140

Thanks Ann and Alan for your useful tips.

I really need to found out about bits (8, 16 or 32).

I use gimp 2.6 because the more recent versions have more complicated features (at least for me).

My laptop is a 64 bits operating system and I use it when I stay in France.

Cheers, Francis.

Gimp works 8-bit - this means that each pixel can have 256 levels (i.e. individual shades or tones) of information.

• In general: add 1 bit, double the number of patterns
  • 1 bit - 2 patterns
  • 2 bits - 4
  • 3 bits - 8
  • 4 bits - 16
  • 5 bits - 32
  • 6 bits - 64
  • 7 bits - 128
  • 8 bits - 256 etc... and...
  • 16 bits - 65,536

So you can see that working 16 bit gives each pixel 65,536 optional differences from its neighbour, whereas 8-bit only can have 256 differences (0-255). this means with very subtle transitions 8-bit might have many pixels side by side that have to choose the same shade as one another, whereas in 16-bit the pixels can all be slightly different as they have more possible tones to choose from. In large areas this can lead to posterisation, where the tone is the same in a large block until the pixels can choose the next level in the 256 choices, when they produce another large block of tone until the next step. The effect is similar too what your photo is showing.

16-bit will have a better chance of showing the same thing as a smooth transition, not stepped like that.

Whether your OS is 16 or 32-bit refers to its operation and the depth of information contained in each instruction of the OS itself, so that doesn't help if the software you are using (Gimp) only works in 8-bit depth. The software itself needs to be rewritten, but that is no small task as code will be immensely more complex.

At least that's my understanding of things.

Edited by Alan7140
  • Like 2

At least that's my understanding of things.

Now, these things are a little clearer. It seems to be the same as the f/stop progression.

Thanks, Alan for your explanations.