Dallas

My Aunt

Yesterday I got a message that I knew was bound to come but which I was dreading. My aunt has died. 

She's been on my mind a lot in the preceding weeks because she had been so ill for so long and had been on life support for over a month. She was my late Mom's older sister and she had been suffering with emphysema from early on in the 1990's. She's the reason I stopped smoking 20 years ago. 

When I was growing up she was like my second mother. We spent so much time at her house and we spent every Christmas there, eating ourselves to a standstill, laughing, swimming in her pool and just having a grand old time. Her house was open to everyone in the neighbourhood at any time. She was just like that. 

Her life was not easy. She never knew her father, she grew up with my Mom in a children's home and then got married when she was still a teenager. Her two sons (my cousins) weren't even in school yet when her husband was killed in a motorcycle accident. Two subsequent marriages ended in divorce, yet through it all her spirit was always the same. She put her family first and woe betide any person who dared to interfere with their welfare. 

This is a photograph I dug out of my archives from 2009. It's the only one I have of her and she happens to be sitting next to my other aunt, her younger sister (who is on the right). 

I will miss her. 

post-2-0-23994400-1449830775_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you, Andrew. 

A moving story Dallas!

I have just been diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and about embark on a long series of treatments, so your post struck home!

Dallas, sorry about your loss

A moving story Dallas!

I have just been diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and about embark on a long series of treatments, so your post struck home!

I'm sorry to hear that, Mike. Sending many good vibes your way, my friend. 

• Like 1

Dallas, sorry about your loss

Thank you, Armando. 

Thanks Dallas

My cousin, who is an artist and the big brother I never had, wrote this blog entry in October about his Mom, my aunt. I love and miss my family so much. 

This is not a happy thread.

Mike, I wish you all the best for your treatment.

Dallas, I am sorry about your loss.

• Like 1

A sad thread indeed.

Dallas, my sincerest condolences.  You can see friends and loved ones slipping away, but it still hurts when the crunch comes.

Mike, good luck and hang in there. A close friend has been through the same treatment as yours and is apparently doing well.  May I wish the same outcome for you too.

This is not a happy thread.

Mike, I wish you all the best for your treatment.

Dallas, I am sorry about your loss.

Edited by Hugh_3170

Thank you gentlemen, I'm told by the medics that this a treatable and curable disease, so I'm determined to beat the barstard that is cancer. 

I must apologise to Dallas, with hindsight I should not have posted in his original topic. Sorry

No apology necessary, Mike. Thanks for sharing with us and I am on your side with this battle you face.

Thanks Dallas

Dallas,

Very sorry to hear the news of your Aunt.

Never sure what to say in these type of situations, glad your aunt will not suffer anymore, 

happy you both gave each other precious memories which will never be lost.

tony

A moving story Dallas!

Sorry to hear this Mike.

Chin up matey, many, many people beat this disease, you will be one of those too!

Thinking of you.

take care

Tony

Thanks Tony I certainly hope and believe so.  :yes: