• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bobfriedman

• Alan7140

• wildoat

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know what's more frightening, the subject or the set-up, lol. Fantastic images you are creating with this rig, thanks for sharing them.   tony

wildoat

I don't know what's more frightening, the subject or the set-up, lol.

Fantastic images you are creating with this rig, thanks for sharing them.

tony

• Like 1
  • Contributor
Alan7140

You've got the lighting and reflections of surrounds in the eyes well sorted now. The stacking is also exceptional.

• Administrators

I'm with Tony - very intimidating setup! But outstanding results. 

I have a question about the use of the flash cables - would it not be easier to use the wireless capabilities of the flash system? 

bobfriedman

i use wireless for one flash.. the other is direct cable... there are additional cables for the quantum turbo power packs to provide power to the flashes..

bob

www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

• Contributor
armando_m

Impressive dedication and top notch results

298 shots ...

I assume you are using fairly low power on the flashes with them being so close to the subject, even so, do they overheat ?

Regards,

Armando

• Contributor

Bob, I could hardly appreciate your quest for the ideal macro setup enough.  The result is impressive!

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

• Contributor
Alan7140

unfortunately all my subjects are very dead.

No more dead than those from scanning electron microscopes, but so much cooler and lifelike in real "living" colour!

• Contributor
Alan7140

Sounds like he uses a similar technique to what I have used - lots of shots hand-held and focus shifted quickly while hoping the subject doesn't move, the success of which is largely dependent on a lesser degree of magnification, as slight camera positioning movements are not overly consequential in that case. Getting into the realms of 10x and 20x is a whole other kettle of fish - I can't imagine accurately overlapping focus planes manually at the fine tolerances required there. Even the slightest shift in camera position might well put the subject out of frame altogether, I'd imagine.

At 1:1, though, the technique works OK, with maybe a 25% success rate with a co-operative insect.

Nice rig Bob. Some high end components you have there. How long did it take for the setup to reach it's current state? Is the Mitutoyo a finite objective? I ask because it seems that it is attached to the camera via tubes only or do you have a lens in the pipeline, right before the objective?

bobfriedman

it too awhile searching on eBay to get components at the "right" price... mostly laboratory salvage.. 

the Mitutoyo M-Plan is an infinity corrected objective requiring a 200mm tube lens.. which was constructed from a Raynox-150, 205mm lens with the associated tubes to construct infinity focus.. the advantage is that i can reduce the extension to adjust the magnification - with the potential of some "out-of-spec" performance issues which are not too bad with this quality objective.. 

suggest you check out http://photomacrography.net/forum/

bob

Thanks for the follow up Bob.. I couldn't see the Raynox in the optical path but now that you mention it I can at the end of the tubes. I like the filter stand you have, looks like a polarizer in it. Do you use it often? I must admit I am downright envious of the Goniometer. I keep searching eBay for one but so far no dice finding a used one for a decent price...

• 2 weeks later...
Esotericman

Did you use Bug Slabber or another short cut to save processing time? 

Cute spider too, thanks for sharing, I suspect it took many hours from start to finish?

bobfriedman

Did you use Bug Slabber or another short cut to save processing time? 

i use if after to retouch transparent parts so it is post-post processing.. takes longer

bob