bobfriedman

Hornet - Mouth Parts

Nikon D800E ,Mitutoyo M Plan APO 10x NA 0.28 200/0

260 stack iso100
original.jpg

Nikon D800E ,Mitutoyo M Plan APO 5x NA 0.14 200/0
200 stack iso100, RAYNOX TUBE 170mm bellows extension, 5mm objective extension - aprox 3.9x
original.jpg
  • Like 1

bob

www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Ditto the ditto as well.

The second one is positively sinister. Makes me glad of the size differential between us (though I still hate these insects with a vengeance, having had one sting its way out of my ear canal when I was a toddler).

Amazing work revealing the most evil of bees. 

There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. - Ansel Adams

the most evil of bees. 

They're not evil and are as fascinating as the other bees. They only attack when something or someone reach out to their nest and break the 5 or 6 meters safety distance they enforce around it. 

For more than 10 years now, they've been visiting my garden all summer long chasing flying insects. They let me get very close, around 50 cm, to try to picture them.

Fantastic pictures, Bob.

Edited by Bruno

Your fantastically detailed insect shots make me grateful to not to have lived in the time when, due to higher atmospheric temperatures and oxygen levels, there commonly were giant insects with 6 foot wing spans.

Keith B.

Guest A-PeeR

Excellent work Bob....

@ Bruno completely agree with your assessment. When I first started shooting macro I had an irrational fear of many insects. Bees being one of them. It is exactly as you say respect the animal and no harm falls your way. These days I don't hesitate to plop down in the middle of a flower patch with bees buzzing all about. With a careful approach I can routinely get within 5cm. 

@ Pluton  through macro I have had the pleasure of observing many a robber fly through a macro lens and have often thought if these critters were the size of a small cat humans would be in trouble, very big trouble....