merlin

Chimney Rock

A bit oversharpened? In full size it looks like the edges of the cliffs are traced with a pen.

I like the tones and the composition.

I like this.  I'm a big fan of the southwest US landscape in general.  

Two notes:  The telltale masking line between the rock and sky is pretty noticeable.  I have found, sometimes, that Photo Ninja does a better job(than my usual Adobe) at not creating a mask line when darkening a blue sky.  Sometimes.

If it were mine, I'd also try straightening the pillar, even if it wasn't straight in real life.  But then, I rarely get a horizon straight, and my hypersensitivity to the issue has affected my brain.

Went back to the original raw file.  There is definitely a bit of shadow where the rock meets the sky, but perhaps this version is better.  Reload the page so the new version shows.

I did not use any masks when doing the conversion to b&w.  Also, neither Adobe products nor PN work on Linux.

And it seems to me that I got the horizon line straight.  I am not into "improving" Nature -- it is fine just as it is. :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Edited by merlin

For comparison, here is the color version.

chimney-rock.jpg

The new version is better.

The color suits the subject prrfectly

• Like 1

Thanks, Ron.  I gave it a try, but there were light areas appearing at the edges of the rock.

Edited by merlin

Yep, the colour is much better, in my opinion.

I think you have found a bug with the X-Trans, Merlin - today for the first time I found a similar light line at the junction of a predominantly yellow-red (flesh) edge and green in my case. Only small area was affected, but Photo Ninja also reproduced it - so either it's with dcraw or the x-trans itself. Keep an eye on that one if it happens again....

AmiYLIS.jpg

Thanks very much for this information, Alan!  I was beginning to think there was something amiss with my PP, but I definitely try very hard NOT to oversharpen, etc.

With red rock formations against a blue sky, or even greenish vegetation, clearly worth investigating further.  I have a large number of photos with that kind of landscape, which makes for awesome beauty in this part of the world.

I cannot see any of this in the color version posted here, though, viewed full size.

Edited by merlin

Just to rest suspicions of sharpening being the cause, the above very enlarged section of my photo that this appeared in had no sharpening applied, nor anything extra over PN's default demosaic.. This is an artefact, but I'm not sure where the culpability lies. It is the first time that I've seen it, though, and I've had the camera since March last year. It's also not an update for PN causing this, because I haven't updated since my licence for updates expired in February this year (I'll renew it when they release V2, it's simply too expensive for one bug-fix per year, which is about their current pace).

With regard to that light line, Merlin, I have to come to the conclusion that it is a dcraw thing. I got it on a whole mess of shots taken yesterday - similar thing to yours, red/brown sharp junction to blue sky.

I use PN, you use LZ, both dcraw-based so I tried Aftershot Pro 2 because I believe that Corel do not base it on dcraw - and bingo! - no line at all.

I don't understand how I never came across this before and my PN hasn't been updated here since Feb, so the only other possibility is the v.4 update of the camera, but I can't see how that would be the cause? And just when I thought things were going great.... but I guess that's always the way.

It looks like I'll be switching to Aftershot pro 2 until this hits the Internet complaints pages, and then something gets done about it. I'll leave that up to others - I wasted enough time on the ACR nonsense in 2012-2013.

• Like 1

Very interesting, Alan.  I will try RawTherapee to see if that makes a difference, but it is probably based on dcraw as well.

BTW, there is a Windows version of it at the same price as for Linux.  ;)

I've got the latest Raw Therapee as well, but I haven't had the time to even look at it beyond the first glance at its hugely comprehensive interface, and yes, it is dcraw-based. I'm really puzzled by this, though - it is way too obvious for me to have missed in all the time I've been using LZ and then PN, but boy did it affect my latest shoot, and not only sky/objects - there's still that troublesome line on the face with green behind. I should try that in AfterShot as well - but it's late here, tomorrow will have to do.

I just looked at a recent raf of reddish flowers against green, and no sign of any white lines, even at 1:1.

Here is the conversion to jpeg from LZ.  SOOC.  My version is 4.1.2 for Linux.

post-8317-0-90136000-1439737258_thumb.jp

Edited by merlin

As a further follow-up (and perhaps this issue should have its own thread) -- LZ is geared first toward Linux in terms of improvements and beta releases, and only later released for windows and mac, so perhaps my version has a dcraw fix for the problem you are seeing.

It turns out that the images of Chimney Rock I posted here were actually taken with my Nikon D300!  ::)

Edited by merlin

Final comment - I just processes a couple of the problematic ones in Helicon Filter - pure dcraw-based and no line present. It's not dcraw, then, so is probably something brought on by either a control used or the in-house mods that both PN and LZ make to the basic dcraw program while incorporating it.

I can see yet more time wasted trying to track this down - or I can simply switch to either helicon Filter or AfterShot Pro, I guess. Whatever, it is a localised problem that is neither in the camera (which I feared) or in other software I've tried.

Wondering if you have tried LZ on these photos?

I just did, and I cannot provoke it there either.

I think I've found the cause - tripped up by that annoying PN "Color Recovery" default slider - it should be re-named "Highlight recovery (because that's what the others call it) and be included in the Exposure controls panel, not in the colour controls panel. I have already reduced the default or 100% to 50%, and it would appear that this is what nailed me with these images - it tried to "restore" blue to the sky as it lightened to haze approaching the horizon - and left a pixel-wide strip of the original light haze around the object. I guess a similar thing happened with the green grass behind that guy's head - it was a lot lighter because of the direct sunlight hitting it, and PN "color recovery" tried to make it green again, with that strip of uncorrected lightness around the junction.

I brought this stupid default setting and nonsense naming and placement of the controls up with PN ages ago, but I'd forgotten how it manifested itself in the interim of absolutely no updates and/or progress on PN to the promised v2.0. Caught out, I guess... :unsure:

It might be well to look at any colour recovery/highlight recovery in LZ as far as the line in your processed shot here goes, although I couldn't provoke it because it's a while since I used LZ and that has left me a bit rusty.